26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2014 4:57 PM by californian RSS

amesterdam - where to stay.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be arriving late afternoon of day 1, have day 2 to enjoy, depart day 3 on a cruise.

Should I stay at the airport?  Spend the night, the next morning take the train into downtown and enjoy the day and return to the airport to spend the next night and depart from there on day 3.If I take this option, I will be on the train without luggage.

I could stay at the Marriott or Renaissance but I would want to get there by public transportation.  I read that the train will take one to the Renaissance but not the Marriott. 

What would be the best bet?  Other suggestions are welcome.  jerrycoin profchiara pluto77  or any others.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amsterdam, Netherlands Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
  • Re: amesterdam - where to stay.
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The Ren is a relatively simple walk from Amsterdam Centraal Train Station which is a short, direct journey from Schipol.

I would stay there if I had the choice, and had a reasonable amount of luggage. However this scenario does depend on how much luggage you're carrying, I'd say the Ren is a 5 minute walk from the station. The Marriott is accessible by tram from the station, but luggage facilities on the trams are much more limited than the trains.

The Ren would be your best bet, but if you're really weighed down by luggage commuting from the airport isn't a bad option as the journey is short and trains are cheap, fast, frequent and reliable.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Amsterdam, Netherlands Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Thanks.  On this, I will not stay at the Marriott.  One down.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We've stayed at the Renaissance several times and have been satisfied with everything on each visit.  I think we have walked from the train station to the hotel pulling big bags each time.  We did take a taxi from the hotel to the cruiseport. 

This is exactly what I needed.  Thanks.

Now, that's what I call a correct reply, from the man who has walked from the station to the hotel and also caught a cruise... Talk about hitting all the right buttons

Hey, brightlybob.  Just wanted to let you know that razorbackfan is a woman;   however, mr. razorbackfan was with me.

As I was typing up my response I was wondering if you were a woman, but thought, "ner, women don't identify with football"... Ooops

And now you're going to tell me:

a) that was outrageously sexist... And it was, so I apologise; and

b) The Razors aren't a football team

... To which I have no response, except that I'm a Brit and we don't understand American football, baseball or the enormous following Basketball attracts. Anyone for cricket?

a)  it made me smile (or snicker, maybe), but no harm done

b)  the Razorbacks are a college football team at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas, my alma mater.  They play in the western division of the Southeastern Conference, probably the strongest conference in college football.  Unfortunately, we are on the bottom of the western division due to some improper activities by a head coach who was fired and the hiring of a new head coach who was ill-prepared for the job.  Next year we will do better.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I've never been to Amsterdam outside of Schipol, so I've basically "got nothin," except that I love to mess around with google maps.

It appears you can take bus 197 from Schipol to the Amsterdam Marriott, direct route, no transfers, 32 minutes, walk from the bus stop to Marriott is listed as 2 minutes.  Here's the 9292 transit website in English, to check the timetables against your flight times.

http://9292.nl/en#

I don't know how it is there, but I take the bus from the train station to SAN airport all the time, and there are lots of passengers who board the bus with luggage.  There is limited storage for luggage on the bus, and occasionally when it's full, people just keep their luggage with them.  It all works out.  I think when riding a bus on an airport route, luggage is to be expected.  Click on the pictures to enlarge for better detail.

Amsterdam Schipol to Marriott Transit.gif

Amsterdam Schipol bus stopt.gif

Amsterdam Marriott Transit.gif

Just in case you're interested. 

If it were me, not having been to Amsterdam or not having been in a long time, I would want to stay in the city.  Guess it depends on the luggage.  Do airports have luggage lockers?

Oh look, Schipol does.

Luggage lockers

You always have something to offer.  I just Googled the airport, Renaissance, Marriott and cruse terminal.  The Ren is closest to CT, less than 2 miles and easiest to get to from the airport.  Even though I usually lean toward Marriott, probably not this time.  Looking at the map, staying at the airport is not the best choice.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Been to Amsterdam number of times; my preference is the Marriott Hotel, although I've stayed at Renaissance as well:

Great Location for Museums, Canal Rides, Flower Market

The Renaissance is closer to the train station, and Amsterdam city center, if that's what you want to see, but in my opinion, not in the better part of town. If you stayed at the Marriott you can take 10 minute ride on tram to the railway station, or city center. Here's an earlier post regarding area:

Holland & Belgium

Regarding best way to travel from airport to Marriott, you can take a taxi for direct, immediate transport, but I usually use share a ride van parked just outside the airport between the airport and the Hilton Hotel. It's less expensive, and might take a few minutes more because it stops at several hotels prior to Marriott, but not many.

One of my favorite restaurants near the Marriott is the Campo de Fiori (Italian):  http://campodefiori.nl - Ph: 31-020-303-95-00 for reservations, or have Marriott concierge to call  for you. 

The breakfast bar and evening snacks in Marriott concierge room are fantastic!

This info is appreciated and if I had more time I would probably stay at the Marriott but for this, convenience is most important.  Thanks.

sg1974 Gold

We've stayed twice at the Renaissance, I would certainly choose this option again.

Trains run frequently from Schiphol to Centraal station.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/PublicTransport/ByTrainDomestic.htm

From and to Schiphol - Amsterdam and all other stations | NS › Travellers › About your trip

The Renaissance is an easy walk from the station with luggage.

The only real hazard is the number of bikes around, be careful!

This is helpful.  When I looked at the ticketing info, it asked which Central Station.  Would that be Amsterdam?  Is it direct or would I have to change trains?

sg1974 Gold

Train is direct, no changes.

From Amsterdam airport to Amsterdam Centraal. one way journey Euro 4.

Good.  This makes it easy.  thanks.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

just make sure you validate your ticket....apparently they get upset otherwise if they ask.  The train is way easy and the walk to the Ren is simple.  Lots of threads on it with pictures too but here's one I took.  The Ren entrance is to the left in this picture by maybe 100'.  The Amsterdam Centraal station is the brick building at the end of the road straight ahead.  Depending on the tracks you come in on, its really a very easy walk.

DSC01524.JPG

I see the Ren.  This helps.  Thanks.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Californian,

Sorry I can't help -- I almost never go to Amsterdam per se -- just through the airport.  I know many will disagree but it isn't my favorite city...

Profchiara

The reason I will be in Amsterdam is because I will be leaving on a cruise and playing it safe by getting there early.  This gives me 1 day to explore if I don't run into any flight delays.  I enjoy visiting new cities.  I guess some people actually fly in on cruise day but not me.

sg1974 Gold

Amsterdam is well worth a visit there are some good attractions to see:

Things to do | I amsterdam

Van Gogh & Rijksmuseum for a start.

You will just have to pick what interests you as you will have such a limited amount of time.

It is a short time and I will make sure that I see some of the city.  I probably will not see the Van Gogh which is close to the Marriott but not as close to the Ren.  thanks.

There's a ton of things to do near the Ren, just be forewarned the Red Light district is not terribly far from the Ren so you'll want to make sure you have a look at a map prior to walking aimlessly through this great city.  There's certainly some "in your face" stuff in shop windows but depending on your moral compass it might be a tad over the line.  Not to put you off from staying at the Ren, it's my favorite place in Amsterdam to stay.  The hotel staff, rooms, etc are all great and there's plenty to do not near the red light district but thought it was worth just a quick mention.

thanks.  I take warnings and stay away from those areas.  In the San Diego Gaslamp District, the CY warns that when you leave the hotel, do not go right (I think) and I just didn't go that way.

So along those lines, don't go slightly right past the restaurant directly across from the hotel.   

Directly right out of the hotel is fine, actually there's a nice place to sit and have a drink on the canal.    The Ren is down the road in the middle there about a block down.

DSC01561.JPG

The actual RLD is fairly well defined and seems to be where the concentration of naughtiness is but there are pockets in other places.  It's pretty easy to tell where you are in the evening though....

DSC01583.JPG

Mostly though the city is a lot of fun, definitely take a canal cruise if you have time or just grab a bite/drink at one of the many pubs along the canals.

DSC01705.JPG

Great pictures.  A canal cruise sounds like a great idea that I would enjoy.  Now all I have to do is to stay away from the naughtiness. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...