13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2015 3:27 PM by ramoneur RSS

Platinums - What value to you place on your status??

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Current Platinum Members

I am going to end-up the year about 8 nights short of achieving Platinum status. Realizing that the nights over 50 will carry over to next year to work again towards Platinum, I would like to solicit what value you place on your Platinum status.  Do you feel that it would be worth $800 to $900 if I were to add 8 nights to my travel plans before the end of the year to achieve Platinum status??

Curious to your insight on this item....

Thank you in advance for your thoughts....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinums - What value to you place on your status??
    erc Platinum
    • 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability (have you ever used this?)
    • Platinum Exclusive Elite Offers (recent trends keep this number/value low)
    • Dedicated Platinum reservation line (you must decide - I love it, but probably not $800 worth)
    • RewardsPlus: Complimentary MileagePlus® Premier Silver status (will it renew?)

• Guaranteed Platinum arrival gift (2015 travel forecast helps determine value)

• 50% bonus on points for stays (vs. 25%)
    • Platinum customized rewards (call me when you get one )

Those are the incremental benefits of going from Gold to Plat.

At $800, either self pay or even company pay (professional reputation expense and time away) I would lean toward gold, keeping the rollover nights (if you didn't use any this year). But to each their own - so best wishes either way you play it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well laid out erc and like you if it was me I would stay with gold.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Tthanks erc for your summary. Now, let's take that and put some figures to it...

Out of all the 2 upper levels, Gold and Plat, Platinum is really the easiest to value, and these are my values for this year, 2014.

By year end I will have made 56 stays totalling 80 nights butt-in-bed, at a cost, after tax of about £10,000, that $16,000. The Platinum bonus is an extra 2.5 points per $, so that's 40,000 points. Furthermore, each stay garnered the platinum arrival gift, at least worth 500 points each time, that's 28,000 more points.

Now there are the other, more nebulous, platinum benefits.

The 48 hour guarantee, to be honest this is one of those benefits you don't realise, all hotels are shown available when you search as a Plat, so who knows which are sold out. I've only found out a few times when I've searched for 2 rooms, found nothing and thought... "I wonder", tried 1 room and bingo! Whenever this has occurred ive found the rate to be reasonable, no bargain, but not rack rate. I suspect I've used it a few times over the year, tough to value, but undoubtably it's helped me get to these totals, and of course gain Marriott points from stays that otherwise would have been made elsewhere and may not have gained any points at all. Let's stab-in-the-dark at 10,000 points.

Platinum Offers... Who knows? I've taken several Marriott Reward members rates, I suspect this year they've saved me maybe £500, and gained me 30,000 points. But were they Platinum offers, or just general? I strongly suspect they were available at least to Golds as well as Plats, so nothing there.

United Premier Silver is simple to value, a one-off 1,000 points for joining United and combining with Marriott. I've never flown United and don't expect to anytime soon. I'm afraid all the rest of the benefits seem to me no more than sales "puff".

So this year my Platinum status has paid out about 80,000 points. As I redeem at a value of around 1 Eurocent (1.2UScents) per point, I value my Platinum points at almost $1,000. Mind you, this has been a very high travel year, next year I expect to return to a much-more-usual 25 stays, 35 nights butt-in-bed which probably cuts my value down to more like $400!

curiousone Platinum

Wow, do you really value a MRI point at 1.2 cents? I typically see them worth 0.7 cents. What do others think?

Well, curiousone, 1Eurocent is my value, though I do include taxes in my value, for 2 reasons, outside USA/Canada, almost all rates include taxes so extracting them is difficult, and of course, when redeeming I am saving the total cost of the room AND the taxes.

This year I've redeemed at:

Oakville, Canada FFI, 7 nights 60k points instead of CAD$770 ($110prpn)

Ottawa, Canada Marriott, 2 nights for 3 rooms 120k points instead of CAD$1380 ($230 prpn)

Paris, France Champs Elysees Marriott, 2 rooms for 2 nights 180k points instead of €2400 (€600prpn)

Leicester UK, 1 night 15k points instead of £140

Peterborough UK 2 nights 20k points instead of £220 (£110prpn)

So I've redeemed 395k points for £360+€2400+CAD$2150=USD$5,400, that's actually 1.3UScents per point.

I never start a booking determined to use points, but if rates are high I look at redeeming. Redeeming in Europe at these values is easy, over recent years I've redeemed lots of London stays at the JW for around 1 UKpenny per point, Monaco at nearly that, Paris Champs Elysees I've never paid cash, points always at 1 Eurocent plus, Moscow, well I could go on... In North America it's tougher to get the value, so I tend to pay there, though Cat 1 & 2 redemptions usually manage over a cent and the in-laws live close by the Cat2 Oakville FFI. The Ottawa Marriott is a surprise being a city centre hotel, yet only a Cat4, so again it's easy to redeem midweek stays at good value.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

With the exchange rate between U.S. and England, it seems that you'd really make a killing by paying cash here.  You've given some good tips. 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

my (partially non-responsive) tip for next year - use the Chase Marriott Premier/Black VISA Card and you won't come up short again!  Moreover, it'll help you get to Lifetime Platinum (much) more quickly, reducing the number of times you have to worry about these issues at the end of the year....

More info here:

MR Premier VISA - Ka-CHING!!!

Is the Chase PREMIER VISA worth it?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I like the additional perks (particularly the extra points that can be earned) as a Platinum, but I wouldn't try for the 8 nights if I were in your place. If you had 2 or 3 to hit the goal, it might be different. Spending that much money for a few extra perks is (in my humble opinion) not worth it.

Start the year with the rollover nights. Retaining Gold should pose little problem (especially if you have the credit card) and you'll be well on your way to Platinum. 

I'm with bejacob here, you need too many generated nights, the cost is too high, the value outcome fractional at best. Assuming you have no rollovers from 2013, all your nights over 50 will rollover to 2015 giving you a good start towards renewing Gold and a strong chance of making Plat by year end. Mind you, if you believe this year is unlikely to be repeated and you'll struggle to make gold again next then it might be worthwhile to make the nights now, as one unpublished benefit of Plat is a "soft landing" to gold, whatever your numbers. So Plat in 2015 guarantees minimum gold in 2016...

ramoneur Platinum

I ddn't realize the "soft landing"-part;

this is actually a very good argument to choose to bump to Platinum instead of aiming for a 24 nights rollover mark

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Thank you all for your input!  I was leaning towards doing it, but you all provided true experience of being at Platinum which is what I needed to make an informed decision.  I will just roll-over the 15 nights to next year and my job is requiring more travel than before so I think I have a pretty good chance of reaching Platinum.

Thank you again for all your comments.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

If you also earned your max promo bonus with no more nights needed, I'd go with erc.

It might also depend on your anticipated stays for next year and whether or not the extra 25% bonus would be more valuable to you next year or not make much difference.  

My husband is PP and will be next year, too, for his last time before being just lifetime Plat. 

ltn1delsol Platinum 59 Reviews

I believe you can call the platinum desk and ask them to do a challenge. It'll allow you to get status while you try to make up the stay nights. I think it's worth the work to maintain the status if possible.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...