61 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2017 3:11 PM by mustanggt RSS

How Many Capital Cities Have You Visited?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

About a year ago as Insiders were discussing erc's post about the Re: 50 Weirdest Sites to See in the US, some of us got into a brief, side discussion about visiting US State Capitals. That got me thinking (which is never a good thing ). Why it took a year to ask these question is a mystery (IAHFLYR, I blame it on my "geezer" status which brightlybob bestowed on me when I got my first pair of bifocals this year ).

How many State Capitals have you visited?

And so as not to leave out our international friends, let's also include

How many National Capitals have you visited?

I had dig back into the dusty recesses of my brain to find my totals, but here they are.

State Capitals: 37 (missing AK, FL, LA, ME, MO, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NC, SD, TX, WY), though I plan to visit Baton Rouge in 2015

National Capitals: 13 (in no particular order) Canberra, London, Tokyo, Wellington, Nairobi, Dublin, Beijing, Moscow, Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Washington. I can't really count Amsterdam, Papeete, or Cairo since I never left the airport in these countries.

I expect (based on some previous discussions) some impressive numbers from a few folks on the National Capital question.

So how many have you visited?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dearborn, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
  • Re: How Many Capital Cities Have You Visited?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Ut oh...another Homework Assignment from bejacob!! 

Thanks to my friend Wikipedia I was able to quickly put my list together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_capitals

Here's my list:

State Capitals:  11 including Phoenix AZ, Atlanta GA, Boston MA, Raleigh NC, Columbus OH, Harrisburg PA, Nashville TN, Austin TX, Richmond VA, Charleston WV , & Madison WI

National Capitals:  1- Washington, DC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

What can I say, vaboywnder? I like giving out homework.

Here are the assignments I've given in just the last 12 months

In How Many States Have You Stayed at a Marriott Property?

Which Marriott brand do you frequent the most?

Marriott now lists 18 Brands. How many have you visited?

What do you collect when you travel?

What is your travel goal?

I'll bet our academics haven't given such interesting homework this year (I'm looking at you foxglove )

While I can't claim credit for asking, I particularly enjoyed the discussions on the Aviation thread about which airports and which types of aircraft Insiders have flown.

Regardless, since travel is something that unites us, it's nice to learn where others have been (or where they want to go). More than once, I've discovered a place I didn't know about. I probably wouldn't have stayed at the Dearborn Inn had it not been for jakeal and jerrycoin both speaking so highly of it.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

The Dearborn Inn, is one of my all time favorite hotels!  Especially for Thanksgiving and Holiday Times.  It's a place you want to book early!

P1010070.JPG

Replicas of Historic homes in America, make staying here a wonderful experience!

This was the first "Airport" hotel, and was built to allow Henry Ford a place for his traveling friends and Ford Executives!

P1010068.JPG

Wonderful staff, this makes this place a great place to dine on a special occasion!

Location Brand Hotel
        Dearborn, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
        brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Darn it, bejacob, I was just enjoying all this, now you tell me its work.How much work have I done for you this year?

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Prof. bejacob, Um, will this be on the test?

State capitals (25): Tallahassee, Montgomery, Atlanta, Columbia, Raleigh, Richmond, Charleston, Harrisburg, Albany, Montpelier, Frankfurt, Nashville, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Austin, Little Rock, Jefferson City, Springfield, Indianapolis, Lansing, Madison, St. Paul, Topeka, Phoenix and Santa Fe

Hmm, heavy eastern US concentration, with all but Santa Fe via ground travel.

National capital cities (3): DC, Ottawa, and Nassau

May I have a hall pass now?

bejacob,

Been to 47, but never made it, yet, to Austin, Santa Fe, or Baton Rouge, but have made it to all the others!

IMG_3869.JPG

Here's on my favorites, Oklahoma City, from the Governor's Mansion!

IMG_3135.JPG

Salt Lake City is another treasure!

IMGP0058.JPG

Anchorage, is another wonderful place to visit!

IMG_3444.jpg

Jefferson City, from the back of the AMTRAK, what a wonderful day!

Will try to contribute International Capitals soon!

This was so much fun!  Thanks for making the memories come alive!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

great thread

For me, 45 state capitals missing AK, HI, MT, ME and LA for states.

For the Canadian territories, I've been to 4 of them.

For National capitals: 21 - Washington DC, London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Luxembourg, Vaduz, Mexico City, 10 Caribbean island capitals and Canada.

cjkatl Platinum

Hadn't ever thought of this. Been to 44. Missing: Alaska, Maine, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota. Favorites: Lincoln, Reno and Albany, but the latter only for The Egg.

I've been to every Big Ten and SEC football stadium. (at least the outside) This has not been on purpose, it's just kind of happened.

International: 14: Washington, Ottawa, Mexico City, Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, London, Paris, Prague, Budapest, Amsterdam, Jerusalem, Cairo, Papeete.

erc Platinum

Not since brightlybob implemented his well executed conversions of ten hotel reviews into Discussions, has my erc-o-meter gone off as loudly as this post.  

"When out in the computer there arose such a clatter,
        I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter"

Oh; like vaboywndr writes, 'another homework assignment from bejacob'

Ok, I'll play along, but this time it comes with a counter-exercise, which was inspired by the More Like This column over to the right (as one thread lead to another and then another)

First - since many minor league teams don't play in state capitals (although several do)
         I score only 35 on the state capital list - although in a saving face, fluke of nature, I have been to the three jerrycoin hasn't

No passing grade in the world capitals either - 8

Second - up before the sun rises, I realize today is Pearl Harbor Day (seldom ever on the front page anymore) and it reminds me of one of my favorite trips to a state capital, last year in Honolulu and our visit with Admiral of the Pacific Fleet Rick Williams. All my friends went on to do great things and I went on to write about the loss of BOGOs . Really  looking forward to the Christmas release of Unbroken, a powerful and inspirational story for sure

120131212_160256.jpg

Third - speaking of Christmas and the holidays, I was spurred on by b.e.'s linking of threads and the More Like This column and came up with a post of my own, asking once more for Insiders to share, but fear not, not as much intellectual work required as above and it will help keep us in the holiday spirit.

Home for the Holidays

and last and Fourth - once again, referencing the More Like This column, Batter up!  since I love me some baseball, I clicked on the link and saw my nostalgic post about my childhood team the Washington Senators and right underneath mine I saw pluto77 proclaim her one (and only) true love for her L.A. Dodgers .... what? the L.A. Dodgers.  Is this the same pluto that so proudly roots for (in the same division I might add) the disliked (at least here in the U.S. Nation's Capital) S.F. Giants?  As Prince Hamlet once said, "there's something rotten in the stadium of Chavez"

Oh well, Happy Holidays to all and to all a good night (at least for me, I'm heading back to bed) .

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

erc

There was an article today in The Austin-American Statesman concerning the general perceptions of the Japanese people today concerning Pearl Harbor, of course very different than those of most Americans.  I was glad to see space devoted to Pearl Harbor as this major historical event has not been emphasized in recent years.  This is probably due in a great part to the passing of the "Greatest Generation".  However, there was a bit of sad news concerning the USS Arizona.  Today will mark the final toast by four of the final eight  Arizona survivors at the annual  Pearl Harbor reunion.  Due to advanced age only four were able to attend and they will no longer make the journey in the future.

Also, very nice photo at the Arizona Memorial and timely on December 7th.

erc,

Maybe you can take me to the three Capitals I have not been to, but you have?

Really hope I make them, but have never thought about it too much!

Wonderful photo of your family and you!

If you can, ask him if he knows this guy:  Ret. Admiral, JJ Quinn, his wife Kay, are from San Diego, he is retired, but a prominent Navy Man, and friend of mine! (Google this guy's bio)

IMG_3885.jpg

Had lunch with his wife and him at Mary Fallon's Governor's Mansion in Oklahoma City!  Wow, what respect and appreciation I have for Veterans!

erc Platinum

jerrycoin

Next Comic Con, you and me pal,

downtown Residence Inn (mmm, superhero waffles )

erc,

Count me in!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

haha...I wonder how many Insiders we can get to a Comic Con? 

Did someone say Comic Con? I'll be there in my SpongeBob T shirt, as I was a couple of weeks ago:

image.jpg

All together now..

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

Rectangular, yellow and porous is he

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

erc Platinum

brightlybob

Now, this is the man I'm taking with me to the Hague when I'm caught smuggling extra shampoos from the Marriott through customs!

Bob, only a manly man goes public with this - kudos (I see why Mom named you Brightly, I thought it was intellect )

Hey bejacob, how about a post - Insiders with Outrageous  Shirts.  You go first and I'll jump right in

Good stuff - I'm down in beautiful Florida (state capital Tallahassee, home of the undefeated 'Noles) in a lovely part of Bradenton/Sarasota/Long Key (with dinner at Lido Circle) - hey, this is a find (for me), it's a lovely area with a lot of good food and, of course, craft beers. Come on down.

I might take you up on that erc.

Woah, my good man... Smuggling stolen Marriott toiletries through Schipol? Count me out. I still have the remnants of my tattered reputation to protect. Yours, on the other hand...

And I am, as I'm sure you can appreciate, justifiably proud of my SpongeBob T shirt. As you rightly say, my Mum had a premonition when she christened me "Brightly" and changed the surname of the entire family to "Bob" - all for a Spongebob SquarePants T shirt I'd be wearing 50 years later!

Doh, erc, you and your mouth...

erc Platinum

From what I've observed from that wild and crazy (you and b.e. are Ready for Prime Time) b.e. jacob's post, Insiders with Outrageous Shirts, my mouth is about one fourth as loud as your non-legal (bordering on il-legal) wardrobe.

Coincidentally, I'm in Orlando tomorrow and will no doubt see hundreds of your fashion brethren (as a matter of fact I think I stood behind you at Space Magic Mountain ).

Keep on keepin' on gents, it's good for the holiday spirit.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Rotten?  ROTTEN?  Who said - Rotten?

Or how one goes from this:

IMAG2243web.jpg

To this :

IMAG3761web.jpg

Alas, it is true that I have indeed become a turncoat.  If you search, you will find no less than about two dozen proclamations of Dodger loyalty within the hallowed halls of Insiders by none other than - yours truly.  But 25 years of marketing, combined with many an afternoon/evening spent at our local triple A stadium while cheering on fine, young ball players wearing orange and black jerseys, combined with the departure of that naughty Barry and the arrival of that magnificent Bochy magic, along with way better fans and a way better ball park in a way better city, and, and, and... well, all of that can quite simply, change a person.  And what a great bunch of boys.  There will come the day when Bochy retires, his magic will fade with him, those ball kids will move on (one of them already has - to Boston), I will no longer live in the Giants market, and all will likely return to its natural order.  In the meantime... (and although I admittedly cried tears of joy when I recently saw Tommy Lasorda for the first time in about 18 years) say it slowly with me now, "San Francisco Giants are the current World Champions."

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I have spent time in nine states capitals: St. Paul, Lansing, Denver, Austin, Springfield, Santa Fe, Atlanta, Honolulu, and Boise.  I have driven through numerous others on interstate highways.

I have visited seven national capitals: Washington, D.C., Paris, London, Rome, Vienna, Brussels and Amsterdam.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Great question, bejacob.  My tally has me at 15 state capitals and 3 national capitals.

Thanks for mentioning the Dearborn Inn, a special property.  I agree that we might miss some great places / properties if it was not for MRI recommendations!

bejacob,

Have been fortunate to visit 22 National Capitals:

USA, Canada, Tahiti, England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Japan, Poland, Mexico, Netherlands, Belgium, Monaco, Luxembourg, Iceland, Bahamas, The Vatican, Andorra, San Marino, and Wales.

Hope to get a lot more in the next few years!  Thanks for making all of us think about the joy of our travels!

Being a Brit, my capitals visited are much more European oriented:

National Capitals - 16

Belgium, Brussels

Canada, Ottawa

Czech Republic, Prague

Denmark, Copenhagen

Eire, Dublin

France, Paris

Greece, Athens

Guernsey, St. Peter Port

Holland, Amsterdam

Hungary, Budapest

Iceland, Reykjavik

Lithuania, Vilnius

Monaco

Russia, Moscow

United Kingdom, London

USA, Washington DC

"State" Capitals - 4

UAE, Dubai, Dubai

UK, Scotland, Edinburgh

UK, Wales, Cardiff

USA, New York, Albany

Historical Capitals - 2

GDR, East Berlin

USA, Philadelphia

Great Work!. Worthy of at least an A- (I had to mark you down slightly, since Albany is the capital of NY state, but since many Americans probably get that wrong, I went easy on you ).

For extra credit, I'd like an essay on the administrative divisions of the UK, explaining to we 'confused' Americans how England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are actually countries within the United Kingdom.

I left Edinburgh and Belfast off my list since the did not show up here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_capitals_in_alphabetical_order (not that this is an official list, but it did help jog my memory of place I visited.

I expected plenty of European capitals on your list, and I'm pleased to say you didn't disappoint.

Oh, lumme bejacob, an explanation of the UK constitutional settlement.

Well here goes... England Scotland, Wales and Ireland are all Kingdoms. Wales was conquered by the English. Scotland joined when it's King, James VI of Scotland inherited the English throne after the death of Elizabeth I becoming James I of England as well as James VI of Scotland. The Act of Union in 1707 turned the union of the thrones into a political union. Finally Ireland was brought in by conquering and coercion. The United Kingdom is the Union of these 4 Kingdoms.

Ireland is now a Republic, save the Northern corner that remains a part of the UK called Northern Ireland and now has it's own assembly in Belfast with devolved legislating powers. Wales is a Principality with the Prince/Princess of Wales being the 1st in line to the English throne. It too has its own legislative assembly in Cardiff exercising devolved powers. Scotland remains a part of the Union but has its own Parliament in Edinburgh with the widest devolved powers including a separate legal system, tax raising and social security setting powers.

Hence I referred to my visits to Cardiff and Edinburgh as being to "State" rather than "National" capitals. In the same way I referred to my visit to Dubai as a "State" rather than national capital as its not the capital of UAE, but is instead a semi-independent "city state" within the UAE union.

Suitably corrected, I've removed New York from my list of State capitals visited...

Brilliantly stated. I'll update your grade to reflect the additional effort.

You're quite the overachiever.

THanks for that bejacob

Your list of international visits is extensive, and far more exotic too!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well, bejacob I too am confused - and I'm British!  As you will see I have included Edinburgh in my list of national capitals!  Maybe I need to take constitutional lessons from brightlybob

I might suggest that Philadelphia be moved underneath the "historical" capitals heading, since it is both a former capital of the USA as well as a former capital of PA.

Good catch pluto77. I should have noted that on my previous reply to brightlybob. Philadelphia is such a historic city, it's hard to remember that Harrisburg is actually the state capital.

I'm afraid I must now serve detention for missing that one previously.

OOooooer, headmistress Pluto has caught me bang to rights.

Geography teechur Bejacob told me so, Miss Pluto, Miss, Sir, honest...

'S'okay Counselor, if I were given a pop quiz on U.S. State capitals, I would likely fail (Bismark, ND, Frankfort, KY, Tallahassee, FL - who knew?  Hey bejacob I just found out Columbus is the capital city of your state... whadayaknow?)  As a matter of fact, if Mr. True Blue from Virginia hadn't mentioned Harrisburg and posted the convenient wiki link (and thanks, vaboy!!) I'm pretty sure I would've glossed over Philadelphia.

Good post bejacob I learned somethin' today and ditto to the Bobster for the UK modern history lesson.

This is a pretty smart bunch! I love learning things on this site too, pluto77.

I'll add one more interesting trivial fact about the US state capitals that is relevant to my own hobby. With the exception of Lansing, Michigan, every other state capital also happens to be either an independent city (i.e. Carson City, NV) or the county seat for the surrounding county. Lansing is mostly with the boundaries of Ingham County, but the county seat of Ingham County is Mason (so when I visited Lansing to photograph the statehouse, I did not mail a postcard, choosing instead to send one from Mason). Okay, now I'm really getting off track.

More importantly, dear pluto77, how many state capitals have you visited? Use whatever links or online resources necessary.

Whew, thanks for the open book test!  (Otherwise, I'd have visited a lot more state capitals than I actually have! )

I believe it's 14 (been to 29 states, only 14 state capitals - yes, I've got some work to do).

Phoenix

Little Rock

Sacra"pimento"

Denver

Atlanta

Honolulu

Boise

Baton Rouge

Carson City

Oklahoma City

Nashville

Salt Lake City

Richmond

Olympia

I honestly can't remember if I've been to Columbia (SC) or Raleigh.  If I have it was only for a flight, so I guess it wouldn't count anyway.

National Capitals, well since you won't let me count Heathrow or Schipol or Tegel-Berlin... 8.

Abu Dhabi

Paris

Prague

Rome

Tokyo

Vatican City

Vienna

and

Washington.

I guess I have some traveling to do.  I will add London and Dublin next Spring.  Possibly Canberra if I make it back down under later next year, but doubtful as there are other places in 'Stralia that I'd rather see given time constraints, being quite honest.

erc Platinum

pluto77

1) Good defense of the Giants, ok, you're off the hook. Congrats

2) Given your recent research: Here's an excellent bar bet (wins around 90% of the time)

Is the capital of Kentucky spelled (write one word on each side of paper and quickly turn it over)

LEWISVILLE       OR      LOUISVILLE  ?

of course with your newly earned knowledge of state capitals

east of the Mississippi, you of course know that it's spelled, F r a n k f o r t

(I asked foxglove how you spell Mississippi and he responded, "the state or the river?"

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

The river would be as follows:

"M - I - Crooked letter - Crooked letter - I - Crooked letter - Crooked letter - I

Humpback - Humpback - I  Mississippi, Flowin' down to New Orleans!"

(Or at least that's how it was spelled when I was a kid.)

OOh dear. So both the state capitals I initially thought I'd visited turned out not to be (Philadelphia, PA & New York, NY). My knowledge of US political geography is found wanting

Good point on the historic capital though, Philły goes there quite nicely.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Here's my list to best of my recollection, starting in S.E., where I live and moving westward:

S.E. - TN (Nashville),  MS (Jackson), LA (Baton Rouge), AL (Birmingham),  FL (Tallahassee), GA (Atlanta), SC (Columbia), NC (Raleigh), KY (Lexington), VA (Lynchburg),

N.E. - WVA (Charleston), MD (Washington), NJ (Trenton), PA (Harrisburg), NY (Albany), CT (Hartford), MA (Boston)

Mid Atlantic - OH (Columbus), IN (Indianapolis), MI (Lansing), IL (Springfield), WI (Madison),  MN (Minneapolis), AR (Little Rock)

Midwest - OK (Oklahoma City), TX (Austin), IA (Des Moines), NE (Lincoln)

West - NM (Santa Fe), CO (Denver), MT (Helena), ID (Boise), UT (Salt Lake City), AZ (Phoeniz), NV (Carson City), CA (Sacramento), OR (Salem), WA (Olympia)

....enough brain chemistry for one day! (Maybe the real question is "how many capitals can you name without looking them up on the map?)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Sorry to disappoint, fschumpert

but Dallas isn't the capital of TX.  It's Austin, so if you've been to Austin, then you can substitute it.  You should have looked it up, methinks. 

I just looked it up and the capital of MD is Annapolis.  I kept thinking there was something wrong with Washington, but didn't know whether there was a city in MD by that name or not.

You did really well, though, having not looked them up.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Lovely thread!

For me -

State Capitals:- Juneau, Atlanta.  So only 2, but I was amazed to see Seattle and New York City aren't capitals.

National Capitals:- Brussels, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Funchal, Helsinki, Kuala Lumpur, London, Madrid, Cape Town, Paris, Rome, Singapore, Stockholm, Tallinn, Wellington, so 17.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Tommo781 - Regarding U.S. capital cities, I would guess there are many world capital cities folks over here in the new land would not guess as well. Then, I suppose there would be a surprising number of people here who could not tell why the Archbishop of Canterbury is head of the Church of England, when the cathedral in the small town of Canterbury is somewhat smaller than the ones in London, Lincoln, and York, or whether the distances in the UK are posted in metric or imperial measurements, or that our US "sandwiches" and "cheddar" cheese, or "Wilton" carpets, originated in places in England by the same name, only to name a few bits of trivia.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

international I have visited 18  and many states. My favorite internationally is still Rome

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

36 states and Toronto, Canada

YogiB Platinum

State capitals: Salt Lake City UT, Montpelier VT

Missed by little: Carson City NV and Sacramento CA on our road trip (we stayed on the I80). Concord NH also drive through without stopping. Atlanta GE only airport transfer.

Provincial capitals (CA): Winnipeg MN, Edmonton AB, Halifax NS, Toronto ON, Québec City QC.

National capitals: Ottawa CA, Amsterdam NL (and The Hague... NL is always confusing people since the royal family and the government are in The Hague in stead of in the capital), Brussels BE, Sofia BG, Zagreb CR (I think, too long ago), Prague CZ, Paris FR, Athens HE, Budapest HO, London UK, Willemstad CU.

Snail5930 Gold

State capitals: Oklahoma City (OK)

National Capitals - 20

Manila -Philipines

Singapore - Singapore

London - UK

Moscow - Russia

Kiev - Ukraine

Lisbon - Portugal

Madrid - Spain

Paris - France

Berlin - Germany

Rome - Italy

Prague - Czechia    

Brussels - Belgium

Bratislava - Slovakia

Budapest - Hungary

Vienna - Austria

Ljubljana - Slovenia

Sofia - Bulgaria

Bucharest - Romania

Istanbul - Turkey

Skopie - Makedonia

Monaco - Monaco (not sure that this is capital)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Not that many state capitals

International 38:

Angola: Luanda

Bahrain: Manama

Belgium: Brussels

Congo (DR): Kinshasa

Congo (R): Brazzaville

Denmark: Copenhagen

Fiji: Nadi

Finland: Helsinki

France: Paris

Germany: Berlin

Hong Kong: Hong Kong (when independent)

Hungary: Budapest

Indonesia: Jakarta

Italy: Rome

Japan: Tokyo

Kazakhstan: Almaty (changed later)

Kuwait: Kuwait City

Latvia: Riga

Macau: Macau (when independent)

Monaco: Monaco

Morocco: Rabat

Nepal: Kathmandu

Netherlands: Amsterdam

Nigeria: Lagos (later moved)

Papua Niugini: Port Moresby

Philippines: Manila

Portugal: Lisboa

Russia: Moscow

Singapore: Singapore

South Korea: Seoul

Spain: Madrid

Sweden: Stockholm

Taiwan: Taipei

Thailand: Bangkok

UAE: Abu Dhabi

United Kingdom: London

US: Washington DC

Vatican: Vatican City

monisame Platinum

This is my list. Only Capitals

Roma, It

Luxembourg, Lou

Paris, France

Madrid, Spain

Brussels, Belgium

Germany, Berlin

Vienna, Austria

Athens, Greece

Netherlands: Amsterdam

Berne, Switzerland

Budapes, Hungary

Dublin, Ireland

London, United Kingdom

Monaco, Monaco

Prague, Czch Republic

Istanbul - Turkey

Vatican City, Vatican City

Asunsion, Paraguay

Santiago, Chile

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Montevideo, Uruguay

Washington, EEUU

Otawa, Canada

Brasilia, Brasil

laketahoe Platinum 3 Reviews

I've been to 25 US states but necessarily to the state capitals ( maybe 20 ? ) and to about 70 foreign countries.  My problem is I forget where I was yesterday.

peymanagement Platinum

probably missed a few states, it was a good exercise in US geography as i learned a few that i did not know, and thought i knew a few that i did not. I did not count cruise stops and airports even if i got off and walked around for a bit., I did  not know how to count San Juan. so i listed it as a country.

Countries,

Seoul,

Kingston,

Nassau,

Washington

Ottawa

Brasilia

London

Vienna

Vilnius

Riga

Munich - Bavaria

Warsaw

Budapest

Bratislava

Paris

Moscow

San Juan

------

States/Provinces

Harrisburg

Syracuse

Charleston

Atlanta

Raleigh

Columbia

Richmond

Phoenix

Indianapolis

Springfield

Nashville

Lansing

Victoria

Regina

Winnipeg

Toronto

Quebec City

Fredericton

Halifax

St. Johns

Since posting the original question a couple years ago, I've added 3 state capitals: Baton Rouge, LA; Cheyenne, WY; and Concord, NH. That brings my total to 40 states. I don't have any more planned for 2017 yet. Hopefully that will change by mid-year.

Nothing new for me internationally, though I suppose I could have included all the state capitals in Australia (except Adelaide) which I visited in the 1970s and 80s.

Perhaps I'll have to look into visiting more of Canada. To date, I can only claim Toronto and Victoria in my capitals of the provinces. My visit to Quebec included Montreal, but not Quebec City.

It's nice to see this topic revived. Lots of well-traveled folks for sure.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

An oldie that I missed.....

Abu Dhabi
    Bangkok
    Beijing
    Brasilia
    Bridgetown
    Brussels
    Canberra
    Charlotte Amalie
    Dhaka
    Doha
    Dublin
    George Town
    Hong Kong
    Kuala Lumpur/Putrajaya
    Lisbon
    London
    Mexico City
    Nassau
    Ottawa
    Port-au-Prince*
    Cape Town
    San Jose
    San Juan
    Santiago
    Santo Domingo*
    Washington D.C.
    Windhoek
    Yaounde

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

In the U.S.

Phoenix
      Little Rock
      Denver
      Dover
      Hartford
      Tallahassee
      Atlanta
      Springfield
      Indianapolis
      Des Moines
      Baton Rouge
      Augusta
      Annapolis
      Boston
      Lansing
      Saint Paul
      Jackson
      Lincoln
      Concord
      Trenton
      Albany
      Raliegh
      Columbus
      Oklahoma City
      Harrisburg
      Providence
      Columbia
      Nashville
      Montpelier
      Richmond
      Charleston
      Madison

mustanggt Platinum

Countries/Principalities/Provinces (17):

London, UK

Madrid, Spain

Paris, France

Berlin, Germany

Rome, Italy

Vienna, Austria

Vatican City, Vatican City

Washington DC, USA

Kingston, Jamaica

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Dublin, Ireland

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Nassau, Bahamas

Hamilton, Bermuda

Cardiff, Wales

Edinburgh, Scotland

Toronto, Ontario

States (26):

Montgomery, AL

Phoenix, AZ

Sacramento, CA

Denver, CO

Hartford, CT

Dover, DE

Tallahassee, FL

Atlanta, GA

Boise, ID

Des Moines, IO

Augusta, ME

Annapolis, MD

Boston, MA

Concord, NH

Trenton, NJ

Santa Fe, NM

Albany, NY

Raleigh, NC

Columbus, OH

Harrisburg, PA

Providence, RI

Columbia, SC

Pierre, SD

Montpelier, VT

Richmond, VA

Olympia, WA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...