16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2014 3:03 AM by tommo781 RSS

World's Grumpiest Travellers

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: World's Grumpiest Travellers
    erc Platinum

Good stuff as always sg1974,

But according to this;

Britons were officially born to be miserable | UK | News | Daily Express

you, brightlybob, Tommo781 and arkwright

might have been the source of some of those quotes

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

You believe everything you read in the newspapers erc?   Mind you, the Express is my daily newspaper (sorry if that bit of information destroys your opinion of me brightlybob  ).

Well, with the festive season nearly upon us I am getting towards being full of Christmas spirit. 

Then again - 

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Erc, sg, BB, tommo and others,

As an one-time scientist, I'm instinctively suspicious of most forms of generalization...... but then newspapers long since gave up any pretence to be purveyors of truth, That said. the Express used to have a good horse racing column and the Telegraph still carries probably the most extensive sports pages. (You see how I spend a significant proportion of my day!).

Be that as it may, over the years I've tended to the view that the redeeming feature of the Brits - particularly on a global stage - is the balance they/we somehow strike between a cautious pragmatism (which sometimes makes you wonder how we ever achieved anything), the capacity for understatement (which many regard as a devious facade) and a liking for adventure/experimentation (which is fine as an individual trait, particularly in days of colonial yore; but which now can seem a little incongruous).

Few in this "sceptr'ed isle" would equate these traits with "grumpiness", but it's not too difficult to see how others mightn't always agree.

A

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

arkwright,

Will make a "Generalization", no GB, MRI's, that I have met or had anything to do with are "Grumpy"!  That surly includes you!  A wonderful group of people, in my view!

IMG_2206.JPG

Thanks for the wonderful memories of a great day!

Location Brand Hotel
        London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
          erc Platinum

Will make a "Generalization", no GB, MRI's, that I have met or had anything to do with are "Grumpy"!  That surly includes you!  A wonderful group of people, in my view!

Hey, is that surly a Freudian slip .

Naah, those Insider Brits are A-OK in my book. Go man, go!

Well thanks erc.  I think we are special too!

Jerry,

Much appreciated.

I too greatly enjoyed the time we spent together.

May we find another opportunity some where, some time.

A

How can I give your post of 8:23 100 likes arkwright?  That's us Brits exactly.  BTW, is your name really Arkwright, or you a fellow fan of Open All Hours?  Sorry our US friends if you have no idea what I mean. brightlybob will understand if no-one else.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ooh, wow, open all hours with the wonderfully busty Nurse Gladys Emannuel, and David Jason playing the dopey Granville. Memories of childhood TV...

See!  I knew brightlybob would understand.  brightly, did you realise that, after the Xmas special last year, there is going to be a new 6 parter of Still Open All Hours.  Can't wait.

Tommo,

Thanks. And "Yes", I've always been Arkwright here: he was always a guy that fascinated me.

Best, 

A

I have the box set.  It must be wearing out it is seen so much!

HAHA, sg1974 great article, well worth sharing!

As for Grumpy Brits erc, as with everything else, where the Americans lead we Brits follow

And Tommo781, a Daily Express reader, oh dear oh dear, I can only hope you grow out of it, for your own sake...

I knew you wouldn't be impressed brightlybob.  We have it because Mrs Tommo likes the crossword!  (If you believe that you will believe anything!)  We do take the Sunday Times as well though.

From

My Canadian in-laws like the Daily Mail puzzles and to my eternal shame asked for the Mail to be delivered to their room one night when I had booked several rooms for a family get-together, and even now, over a year later I still wake up at some Marriotts to find a copy of the Daily Mail on the floor... Erk!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...