7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2016 12:13 AM by jerrycoin RSS

London Renaissance St Pancras

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Spectacular, both inside and out...

Stayed here for a few nights at the end of January. Initially checked in to the cheapest available room in the Barlow wing, which was pretty much a standard looking 4/5star room with all the usual facilities and scrupulously clean. All looked well for a pretty typical business 1 night stay... Then the missus called, her boss had asked her to get to London for the following morning... Well, there's a possibility for extending to a weekend here after we've both finished work, so I return to reception, speak sweetly to their excellent and approachable staff and extend my stay into the weekend and then for £100 extra per night upgrade the room to a Chambers suite...

And WOW... there's nothing ordinary about the Chambers wing. Our suite overlooked the Eurostar platform and was a great size with a dreamy comfy bed and beautiful quick filling bath, free of a tapend.... Mmmmmm, a bath for 2!

Then there's access to the Chambers club, only offered to plats though, not golds, and the answer to the Gold lack of exec lounge access is easy to see, provided you understand the historical background here.

The hotel was opened to considerable acclaim in 1873 as the flagship property of the Eastern Railway company, built in the gothic style with no expense spared, but alas had obsolescence built into its structure with the lack of  ensuite facilities only a few years before the invention of the flushing toilet that made chamber pots at top hotels a thing of the past. Within 20 years of opening the property had become irrelevant as a grand hotel and had instead become a financial albatross, that struggled gamely through the first world war but couldn't beat the depression in the 1930's, and closed down in 1935. After closure the building was used as railway offices and called "St Pancras chambers". In the 1960's it received the dubious honour of a grade 1 listing status which saved it from demolition but meant regenerating such a building would be murderously expensive and guaranteed it'd fall into disuse.

And so it proved, for decades.

In order to make the horrifying economics renovating a grade 1 listed building work, it was necessary to convert a part of the building to that most precious of London Real Estate... luxury apartments! Originally the figures indicated 20 such apartments were needed to make the economics stack up, but it quickly became apparent that the renovation costs were going to be far higher than originally budgeted and as the bills expanded so did the numbers of apartments needed to keep the project solvent. Eventually the development turned into 68 luxury apartments, called "St Pancras Chambers". And purchasers of true luxury apartments expect "owners facilities". St Pancras leases offered access to an internal gym, parking and a members club, the "chambers club", managed and run by the hotel. Chambers owners pay a subscription for access to the club so overcrowding and feeding scrums mustn't occur. It also had to be something more than an ordinary exec lounge, hence the "Chambers Club"

And the Chambers Club is certainly no ordinary exec lounge! Though beer and wine choices are restricted they're good quality and served all afternoon and evening till 11:30pm. The breakfast is wider than any exec lounge I've been in, as is the afternoon tea selection and evening canapés. This is a truly exceptional lounge and although it gets busy there's always a table available, even at its busiest.

In order to maintain this accessibility there has to be a restriction on numbers. There's 68 Chambers apartments eligible to join, and of course the occupants of all 38 of the Chambers hotel rooms eligible to use it, and they almost certainly will! Adding plats to the mix helps support the numbers making sure it's seldom deserted but never overcrowded, which leaves gold members out in the cold.

Now, location. Nope, there's no denying, unless you're going on the Eurostar, this hotel ain't close to much. But if you are going by Eurostar and you have Lounge access, whether as a Plat or because you've upgraded to a chambers room/suite, then you'll have access to the excellent Eurostar transfer service offered exclusively by the hotel. Advise the Chambers club concierge the night before your departure, turn up half an hour before your train and the concierge will speed you through the checkin process and accompany you and your luggage to your Eurostar carriage. It is the best way to start any international journey!

But what if you're just at the hotel as a London visitor? Well as I said before, it's not close to much, except St Pancras underground which means you're right on top of the tube which will take you anywhere around London quickly and conveniently. And make no mistake, in a city like London, wherever you stay it's not close to everything, so proximity to the tube is much more important than any other location, and hence the St Pancras hotel could scarcely be better located to explore all London has to offer!

So to Plats I'd say this place has a simple free upgrade policy to the best available Barlow room. The inclusion of club access makes this a really good option, but for Golds, well I'd say you'd be missing a key part of the St Pancras experience without access to the club and there are many options in London that include exec lounge access to Golds.

But to anyone thinking of upgrading, the Chambers Suite I stayed in was keenly priced, the same suite I paid £300 night for was £560 night at its cheapest at Marriott.com. The suite itself was wonderful and very comparable to my favourite splurge destination, Claridges. So for those wanting a chambers room (which includes club access) I'd say go for it, for I can make no greater compliment than to add that next time I'm splurging in London the Ren is going to make that choice really tough.

Date Stayed: September 2014

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
  • Re: London Renaissance St Pancras

Although Marriott is removing reviews from this site, like erc I feel they are a valuable resource being written by regular Marriott guests who know what to expect, so I've rescued this from the forthcoming cull. Any particularly useful comments/updates get a Helpful, or maybe even a Correct!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well said brightlybob I agree with every word.  I will be going to a Marriott soon, so I will post my review in the same way as you have done.

erc Platinum

brightlybob writes above

"Any particularly useful comments/updates get a Helpful, or maybe even a Correct!"

If the Question is; Is this a great way to share information with fellow Insiders?

then the Correct Answer is Yes .

now NathalieF do your good work and remove the anonymous guests reviews (part of the deal of shipping them all to Marriott) from the Activity Thread and all is well in Insiders Land - thanks

drwinslow Platinum

I echo the praise of the St. Pancras Renaissance.  My spouse and I flew in to Amsterdam from the US in January 2016.  We stayed four nights at the Amsterdam Renaissance.  Great hotel at a reasonable price.  We took the train from Amsterdam to Brussels where we boarded the Eurostar.  This was a bucket list item for an engineer - the channel tunnel.  No notification that the train had entered the tunnel, just a long tunnel.  The terminus was the St. Pancras station, which is station and shopping mall in one.  We exited the train station, ascended one level and entered the hotel.  So easy.  Beautiful.

Originally I had reserved a queen room - Barlow wing for five nights with points.  At reception, the attendant provided us with herbal tea and stated that they had upgraded us to a king room, then offered an upgrade to a Chambers suite at 40% less than online.  Although a Platinum, it was an easy choice.  We were offered a tour of the hotel which was a great opportunity.  Don't pass this up.  We left our bags at reception and received enough information on the tour so we were able to navigate the hotel easily.  We arrived on my birthday.  My spouse mentioned to the bellhop that it was my birthday and when we returned to the suite, a small cake decorated with birthday wishes was waiting for us.

The suite was beautiful and close to the Chambers Club via a restricted hallway.  The club was a great space to prepare for the day and unwind after.  Great food and personnel.  The dress code for the Club basically just excludes shorts for men and exercise clothing for all.  In the Club and also in the suites is a book that details the history of the hotel and the renovation process.  Highly recommended for browsing. 

We utilized the tube to travel to museums and tourist sites.  Being that the hotel was adjacent/above the tube station, it was very easy to access transit.  We never used surface transportation in London, just travelled to the closest tube station.  One day we purchased an all day national railway logo pass that allowed us to utilize preprinted 2 for 1 discount vouchers for the Tower of London and St. Pauls Cathedral.  Many other vouchers are available, just make sure to decide what you might want to utilize, and preprint.  The other days we used Oyster Cards.

Just across the street from the hotel is the British Library.  Take the opportunity to visit the Treasures exhibit.  It contains documents from history that are incomparable - Magna Carta, early bibles, to scribbled lyrics from the Beatles. 

We arranged for assistance in boarding the Eurostar at the end of the trip.  Although checkin and boarding of the Eurostar in Brussels was easy, the transfer service made the process extremely easy.

We loved both Amsterdam and London.  I debated staying at the St. Pancras Renaissance or the County Hall Marriott across from Parliament.  St. Pancras was a splendid hotel and the Chambers Suites a easy splurge.  Can't recommend highly enough, especially for travel via Eurostar.

Exactly as I found it. As I said in my review when planning a London Splurge a Ren St Pancras suite with that lounge access really gives the top London hotels such as Claridges, the Savoy, Browns, Goring or the Ritz, a real run for their money!

And the concierge boarding is a great convenience which enabled my 80 year old Mum to make her last visit to Paris possible. It was an enormous trip for her, revisiting the Champs Elysees where she'd lived as a teenage girl with her eccentric aunt at the end of the war. Crippled by arthritis as she was, the concierge was so very helpful, both ways, even though we only stayed outwards. Service, service, service. She died  just a few months later but it was the St Pancras Ren that made her very last trip possible.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

That's a great story, brightlybob.  It's so good that you have this last memory of a wonderful trip with your mother!

I envy you,

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob,

Great post and you bring back a lot of wonderful memories as well!  We can exchange some of these experiences at our "Get together in Houston"!  Here's some photo's you may enjoy:

IMG_1685.JPG

Nothing quite like the Eurostar from St. Pancras.  Especially if you can relax in the VIP Lounge, thanks to AMEX!

IMG_1666.JPG

Nothing like walking from your hotel room to this historic building and seeing The Eurostar Trains.  Even better, is when you get on one to Paris!

IMG_1688.JPG

Best to take your own food/drinks, and relax, but if you don't there is plenty of snack bar food on the Eurostar!

IMG_1689.JPG

At 180 + MPH, you are in Paris in about 2 hrs 15 minutes.  Breathtaking, and St. Pancras Marriott is a place to save you a lot of time and commuter money, if you stay right there!  Great hotel!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...