9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2014 6:13 AM by erc RSS

Edinburgh Marriott

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Excellent public transport makes this a great choice

A pretty inauspicious start, from the exterior this looks a typical 70's low rise building a few miles outside the city centre. But inside all is well kept and clean, rooms completely brand consistent. Beds very comfy. Lounge is open 06:00-24:00 7 days/week with very good breakfast offerings 6:30-10:30 (11 at weekends) and evening snacks, beer and wine 18:00-20:00. Food selection is strong, couple of beers, red and white wine. It's a good sized lounge and is manned during breakfast and evening service. The bar is nicely set out and bar food good.

The hotel is really easy to reach both from the airport and the train station on the airport express. In Waverley station follow the signs for Waverley bridge exit. You'll walk up a ramp to exit the station and the airport express bus stop (#100) is across the road at the end of the ramp... The bus takes 20 mins and is only £1.50, get off at the Maybury stop, the bus PA system makes the journey easy to follow. It runs every 10 mins meaning getting to and from the hotel is a breeze. Furthermore, the tram work has finally been completed and during my stay I saw the trams running on a trial basis. They run for real in mid April. There will be a tram stop at the Gyles centre, which is the next door mall others have referred to. This will only improve the hotels connections!

All in, but especially considering its excellent public transport this makes it a very good choice whether you're looking to be in its locality, the west of the city, or in the centre itself.

Date Stayed: March 2014

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Edinburgh Marriott

Although Marriott is removing reviews from this site, like erc I feel they are a valuable resource being written by regular Marriott guests who know what to expect, so I've rescued this from the forthcoming cull. Any particularly useful comments/updates get a Helpful, or maybe even a Correct!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Yes, this is a no brainer. Insiders, as the community manager herself has suggested***, please post your hotel stay write ups (call them reviews if you want) as Discussions.

The reviews you receive from the property after a stay all go to the property to be dumped into a collection of hundreds of other reviews/surveys. As a Discussion on Insiders, your efforts (which as tommo writes above, are highly valued) are not only shared with your fellow participants (sending them to the mothership they are not, except by random chance) but also creates the give and take of other travelers jumping in with their specific insights about the property and area, which enhances the entire forum (as well as leads to numerous other valuable tangential discussions).

After a year of Big Board thread choking reviews from folks we don't know (some who give one star if it was raining and the bellman didn't run out to the parking lot) and then months of Activity filling reviews, the NathalieF to her credit, has spearheaded the effective management of Reviews. Let's make the most of it, sharing our stay write ups as Discussions and getting back to the viewership and participation prior to the attack of the Review Contest debacle. Go man, go.

Here's what the communitymanager wrote on Halloween

"I recently made an announcement here on Insiders that Hotel Ratings and Reviews are going to be removed from Insiders in the next couple of months, due to Verified Ratings and Reviews now appearing on hotel websites. Since this change is already in progress, we will unfortunately not be adding any new hotels to review on Insiders. You can always start a discussion thread and write about the great trip you had, or do a space search to see if any other Insider is already talking about this new property!"

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

My sentiments exactly, as I posted earlier.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Do I get a "Correct" for saying brightlybob is "correct" for rescuing reviews in such an inovative way?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Join with you in this.Correct

Thanks fschumpert, jerrycoin and Tommo781. I wasn't sure whether adding these to the discussion threads was a good idea, since I didn't want to be seen as "littering" but on the other hand, felt they were all relatively recent and had value for that. I intend to carry on with this, reviewing hotels as discussions here as I certainly value the Insiders reviews far more than those found on TripAdvisor...

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I must admit brightlybob that when I first saw the front page full of reviews from you I thought "what is he doing?"  Then I realised and it makes perfect sense.  Like you I value the Insiders reviews - as long as they are from named Insiders not guests.  I think we tend to post valid reasoned reviews and not just rants.  If something is good, we say why.  If something is bad, we say why.  Perhaps this should be considered before hotel reviews are removed completely from MRI.  Otherwise we will just all do what you have done.  I certainly will!

Thats my view Tommo781

NAmed insiders here have stayed at Marriotts plenty and know what is or is not brand standards, are not given to rants over isolated incidents (and where we are tend to issue a "rant warning" - it's cathartic to vent!). I have always found their views, and for that matter those of regular Flyertalkers over on the FT website far more useful in determining my hotel choice between Marriotts than those on TripAdvisor...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...