12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2016 6:42 PM by dano9911 RSS

Need NYC Advice- Marriott East Side or Renaissance 57 at Holidays?

ninabrackeen Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My 19 year old son and I are doing the holiday thing in NYC the weekend before Christmas. My 2 options with double beds are junior suite at the Marriott East side or a "larger" double at the Renaissance 57. Can anyone compare the 2 for me? The renaissance deal will be significantly less expensive. Is the club lounge at the ren 57 open 7 days a week for rewards members? Frankly, I read some reviews about both that concern me. Is it difficult to get a cab at the renaissance 57? We are doing all the normal NYC Holiday stuff with a few plays as well. How noisy are each?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: Need NYC Advice- Marriott East Side or Renaissance 57 at Holidays?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Nina

Both properties have been reviewed several times on this site.  I have personally stayed at both sites and prefer the Ren.  I find the location to be a bit more central to great shopping and a easy walk to central park.  The properties themselves have their good and bad.   I like the ren because breakfast is nice in cl, while open in the evening, I believe you are allowed to order one appetizer from the menu and that's it.  I do not recall the cl situation at Marriott Eastside.  Nor do I recall the weekend situation, but I believe at the ren it is open.  I will be there next Sunday and let you know.  Of course, the rooms are tiny, and even the larger ones are not too roomy....

Either way, it's NYC in December, what could be better?  I love this time in the City, the lights, the friendly folks, etc...

Enjoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks! The Ren 57 apparently is going to be $700 cheaper --they have an elite special right now--and  yes, the lounge is open 7 days a week. they don't serve breakfast on Sat or Sunday in the club lounge but will give you a voucher or 1000 points each day as compensation.I called them.  My son is not crazy about sleeping on a sofa bed and the double opened up here this morning. I called every property I was interested in and doubles are rare that weekend. The Ren in times Square, where we stayed before and loved, was great, rooms tiny but its ok. Super comfy mattresses Sadly, They didntt have a double available for the needed dates.

My twenty something sons loved the Marquise ---stayed there last NYE for 5 nights, with points-but its outrageously expensive Christmas week.. The Sat night room was $750. Plus, the weekend before christmas I imagine the elevator waits there will be tedious.Plus, I want a different Christmas experience this trip. More cozy..

Please let me know what you think after next weekend. The Upper east side Marriott "jr suite" does not look like it is worth $700 more for3 nights than the Ren 57. Some of the reviews about each property are pretty bad, so I'd appreciate your opinion, I am hanging on to both reservations.

Shoeman, I truly appreciate your taking the time to reply. Im looking for a reason to choose the Ren and be done with it ! If I weren't using points for Cancun with the kids after Christmas and Dubai in February with my husband, I'd for sure be using them here. The hotel rates in NYC at Christmas are thru the roof!

I saw on one of your posts you went to the Caymans with your wife---which Marriott property did you stay at? I ask because my boys graduated from HS and College this spring and I sent them with their 40 year old brother on a guy trip to Grand Cayman, they stayed at the RC and absolutely loved it.

Best regards,

Nina

Update: I chose the Ren 57 and with the $700 I'm saving, I bought us tickets to the Paul Winter Solstice concert  at St John the Divine, and the shows Pippin and Aladdin....I requested a high floor room, any other room suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, need advice on getting a cab there since Im guessing it wont have a cab  like the big hotels.We will also be going to Radio City, The Beacon Theatre  and shopping . Would love good restaurant suggestions locally, as well as  a little grocer nearby where we can buy snacks and a drinks?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Two properties that are favorites in our household.  You really can't go wrong.  The 57 is a gem, a well kept secret, and the only reservations I'd warn about are that (in our opinion), it's not the most kid-friendly place (in terms of layout - this is NOT a staff criticism), and some of the rooms are small/tight (although ergonomically efficient/Euro chic)....  If large, comfortable rooms are your preference, your odds of a dramatic suite are much better at the East Side Marriott (and, with a little luck, you can score a memorable room there).

p.s. lots (and lots) of thoughts on NYC hotels in this thread - NYC - Market Pricing  - it's worth taking a quick surf through....

Thanks ssindc ! We chose the Ren 57 based on the $700 price difference, we will be totally happy in the small room since we will ready only be resting and changing there. Much appreciate the link.

monix66 Member

Wow, you really did make the right decision. New York is normally crazy expensive and saving $700 is better than having a spacious room, you are only going to sleep there. Do you mind sharing where to find such prices? I've been looking up Expedia, Orbitz and Hotelscheap but everything has gotten expensive, maybe it's too late to reserve for NYE for cheap.

Hi Monix66 and thanks for visiting. I found the deal on the marriott rewards site, when I ran a hotel search and pulled up this property, it appeared under the tab for elite or member offers on the page where they show the prices for the room. I even called the hotel and tried to see if there was a further discount for paying upfront but here is not.

To follow up--hotel was great except for noisy heater. Staff very helpful. HOWEVER, I was shortchanged points---the 3 night bill was $892.33 and I only revived 193 base points and 97 elite points. This has never happened to me before.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Nina

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel.  It is actually one of my favorite properties.  As far as the loud heater, so many old properties have old heating/cooling equipment and some noise is to be expected.  That said, always feel comfortable asking to be moved in case of any dissatisfaction.

shoeman

Thanks< they adjusted my bill so it made up for the noise. I  would stay there again. The neighborhood was fantastic, a big change from staying at the Ren in times square or the Marquise. I liked this place much better. Very cozy.

monisame Platinum

Hi I really dont like this hotel. I have been there last year and it is really not up to date. The CL is really poor in any way and it os close on weekends and they not offer breakfast for those days, with no compensation. It is cheap comparing others, agree with you in these point. 

dano9911 Silver

Totally agree with the Ren 57.  Best choice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...