25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2014 4:12 AM by brightlybob RSS

Gold status near but don't wish to achieve it this year

sterlos Member
Currently Being Moderated

I have 44 nights so far with no rollover from last year.

I am likely to stay 6 plus nights this year and achieve gold status

my original plan was not to achieve gold and get rollover nights for next year say 38 then applied for credit card

tthen I'll achive platinum Within next year.

so can I avoid reaching gold this year without staying in another hotel of course

thanks in advance

Stelos

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold status near but don't wish to achieve it this year
    blava007 Platinum

Yes, when you make your reservation/register for the hotel stays Do Not provide them your MR #, obviously the negative consequences you will NOT receive the MR points for your stay. 

But that differences in points could possibly be made-up following years since as Platinum member you will get additional 50% bonus elite points per stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

II'm not totally sure on your maths here, and you need to be aware Marriott does seem to comp gold to 48/49 night silvers, a generous gesture, but one that wipes out any rollover, and means if you don't get to 50 nights in 2015, youll be busted back to silver in Feb 2016.

If you go up to 45 nights in 2014, you'll rollover 35 nights to 2015 and with the right (US) credit card giving 15 nights can get that in January 2015 to cross the gold line. Then youll only need 25 more nights in 2015 to get to plat, which will then be awarded to end Feb 2017. Assuming you don't manage to renew Plat by staying the 75 nights in 2016, youll qualify for the "soft landing" to gold (even if you didn't manage 50 nights in 2016) which will see you through to Feb 2018.

sterlos Member

Thanks Brightlybob

i didn't know about the generous gesture. So my plan to achive platinum next year may not work if I get rounded up to Gold anyway.

thanks for the heads up

your maths are correct that's what I was aiming to do

i'm in the UK so the credit card is only with 10 nights

thanks

Sterlos

Yeah, the Marriott CC is very weak in the UK compared to USA. I did receive a survey a couple of months ago asking my reaction to a monthly-paid-for UK Marriott credit card with suggestions such as 4 points per £ at Marriotts and abroad, 2 points all other spending, 500 points per month credit, award certs, so we could be offered a stronger card next year...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sterlos, contact Marriott Rewards and ask them if they ever extend their offer of taking the Platinum Challenge (you must already be Gold I believe to minimally qualify for the offer) to UK members.  If they do, then I would stay the nights required to secure Gold status by the end of this year, then once Jan. 1st rolls over, contact Marriott Rewards again and tell them you are Gold and are ready to take the Platinum Challenge.  The PC requires you to make 9 stays in a 90 day period.  If you can swing it, then after 9 stays by Mar. 31st, you will not only be Platinum for the remaining 9 months of 2015, but you will be able to enjoy it through Feb. 2017.  My advice would be to never give up nights and points if you can help it.  Think long term lifetime status. 

Of course, pluto77, the plat challenge, great spot.

I took the Plat challenge at the very beginning of this year, 9 stays in 2 months, plus the remainder of the month registered. I requested the challenge on about Jan 5th and then had until March 31st to make my stays, which I did easily...

As Pluto says, qualify after Feb 2015 and you'll get Plat to Feb 2017. The only problem with this is, at least according to Flyertalk, Marriott is much less willing to give away Plat challenges because of people taking advantage of the status for the 2-3 months, with no intention of making the qualifying stays, so this tactic is by no means a "slam dunk", depending as it does on a discretion based decision.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My experience is that for the Gold challenge, you get to be Gold while working toward the goal, but with the Platinum challenge, you stay Gold until you complete the 9 stays. Not sure if I was an unusual case as I was offered the Gold challenge, but actually made enough stays to reach Gold before the challenge began (so I called to convert to the Platinum challenge). Regardless, it's an option worth considering.

Well from my point of view bejacob I was certainly immediately;y promoted from Gold which Id been for the previous year, to Plat. I received the 50% bonus and the welcome amenity from the moment I was uprated

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Odds are that would have been how it worked for me as well. Having just made Gold and then asking for the Platinum challenge (instead of the Gold challenge I had already been selected to receive) is probably why I had to wait to complete the required stays. Still the jump from SIlver to Platinum in a just a few months worked out well for me as most of my stays are leisure. It would have taken me most of the rest of the year to reach Platinum without the challenge, so I'm pleased to have gained the status in June rather than November.

sterlos Member

Thanks for all your replies they have been very enlightening 

When does the points reset. 1st of  Janruary

im still interested in the new credit card but can't find anything about it on the web other than posts on here

Sterlos

It was explained to me by a Marriott C/S associate that the program changed from Taste of Platinum to Platinum Challenge.  One of the changes is that you no longer get to enjoy the perks of Platinum while taking the challenge.  It doesn't kick in until the challenge criteria has been met.

Your member status badge indicates that you are a general (basic) rewards member (blue dot under your avatar).  Whereas you have attained 44 nights, I would expect to at least see a silver dot for silver status.  I just find that curious.  If you're not sure, you might contact MR customer support to make sure you are currently receiving silver benefits (20% bonus points for stays, silver offers, etc.)

sterlos Member

I Messed up when I registered on here is didn't think its was linked to my MR account.

so I must have got another number by mistake

i I have just tired to change it but it won't let me

sterlos

Just so long as you're sure of which number you are using when you make and execute your reservations.  Actually if I may say so, I think it would be good to get this cleared up regardless.  I don't know how active you plan to be on this forum (we hope you'll stick around and share your travel wisdom with us), but sometimes there are contests with points rewarded to winners.  You would of course want the points to post to the correct account.  If you want, maybe The specified item was not found. can help with this.  (And sorry if I'm being all in your business.  Just trying to help.)

-Cheers.

pluto77

deffo get get this account stuff sorted...

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Hi pluto77.  What are these contests please?  I have never seen any.

Hi Tommo,

There have been numerous contests/programs in the past where prizes were awarded to include Marriott gift cards, Marriott Rewards points, even hotel, airfare and cash travel packages.  Some that come to mind are/were Summer/Winter travel stories, Hometown Photo Contest, Travel Photo Contest, NFL contest, Baseball Story contest (sorry to bring up what was a sore subject to many here ), Insider of the Month (now gone by the wayside), Annual Roady Awards (nominees to be revealed and voting begins next week).  These are just some of what comes to mind, although we've seen far less of these contests this past year (I surmise for a number of reasons, which I won't painstakingly type out on my iPad mini).  Recently, Marriott has been awarding points for using Insiders photos on their Trending Now web page, which is nice.  Currently, tomd68's travel photos are being showcased.  It's not really a contest, just if they like your photos, they will approach you about using them.  Hope this answers the question.  Later, I can post some links to old contest posts if you like (and if I can find them.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Thanks a lot pluto77.     I didn't know about any of that.  If you could post some links that I can see, that would be great, but don't go to any trouble or take too long trying to find them.

erc Platinum

pluto77

Oh man, now you've gone and awoken my ghosts of Christmas past. Whereas the baseball stories did reach a point of overwhelming the system, they were at least enjoyable to read and I certainly couldn't complain about the 500 points each for the two stories allowed. But the reviews (again, my favorite was "I like fishes, because they are delicious" - where's that guy when we need him?), that was a completely different story. Not only did it inundate the forum for several months, but out of the 100 winners, no Insider (meaning someone with at least one more participation credit than review) was a major winner, and only skiadcock secured any winning points at all (winners selected at random).

Certainly it's Marriott's ball and they can do as they please, but it would be such a pleasant surprise if for once, they actually held a contest (like they do frequently for Facebook followers) that was truly for Insiders rather than a tool used only to build their data base (often clogging the forum with seldom, if ever to be heard from again contestants and doing material damage to the ongoing participation). Also not to be forgotten were the "Marriott memories" for their advertising brochures (again, no Insider winners) and the stab to the heart Surprise Party poke in the eye (again, in spite of enormous collective Insider desires, no nuhusker Veteran Appreciation winner).

The best we got was the Ask Arne, where after substantial hype and fanfare, hundreds of Insider participants took the time to provide thoughtful questions (very little bickering or complaining) and only one question was engaged, "How do you select sites". It then died on the vine.

Thank you one and all, I shall now return to my overpass  

sterlos1 Gold

You've opened a can of worms there Erc.

Cant ant see many of them being repeated if they caused I'll feeling

thanks for the help everyone

i'll try to be an active member but have limited marriot experience as I only stay in one hotel as a regular

cheers

STerlos

erc Platinum

Keep on keepin' on sterlos1 , good having you on board and glad you worked out your points and status situation.

I posted my outside Insider contest vent because, as Santayana once said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". 

I'm hoping each time we add new participants like yourself, we get to keep them - the more the merrier. Each time someone raises an issue or shares an idea it has the multiplier effect of generating even more insights by the members, which makes for a very interesting and valuable forum - a much needed asset in today's,  seller's market.

sterlos1 Gold

I have just signed in through my MR account

so now its correct

Thanks for your help

Sterlos

acclau Platinum 1 Reviews

Need to 10 more night to retain the gold elite.

Last year I received a promotion about stay 5 more night to retain gold when I stay was 40.

But this year I didn't received anything.

Is that a usually practice for the offer?

i think you'll find that Marriott don't repeat these promos for retaining membership to the same member year-on-year.

In 2011 I was a Plat but by September had only managed about 20 nights, and received a promo offering me Plat for 2012 if I made 19 more nights to the year end. As it happened my travel situation improved and I made the final night between Christmas and year end.

In September 2012, I was in roughly the same position, but received no offer, and slipped down to Gold in 2013...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...