17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2014 10:33 AM by rdh1422 RSS

Power of hotel reviews

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

What are your thoughts?

Do people use guidebooks for hotel recommendations or rely on tripadvisor?

At least now hotels can respond on tripadvisor if there are dubious reviews.

Kate Humble: 'I'm horrified by the power of TripAdvisor' - Telegraph

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Power of hotel reviews
    sg1974 Gold

A reporters assessment of the infamous hotel in Blackpool that has had a little bit of publicity recently!

Fawlty Towers eat your heart out: ROBERT HARDMAN checks into hotel that fined a guest £100 for complaining  | Daily Mail Online

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I still rely on tripadvisor, although I know most people only review hotels if they are either really pleased or displeased. During my training remember saying that people are more likely to overlook a bad review if management responds to it in a cordial manner. I tend to ignore bad reviews that deal with views of the roof or other problems that I know are very common in hotels.  I have seen guidebooks but these days it's much easier to browse online.

erc Platinum

sg1974

First off sg, thanks again for your ongoing participation of sharing thoughts and threads, I greatly appreciate the effort and enjoy the 'international' perspective you bring to the table.

I'm a big fan of reviews, specifically TripAdvisor. Like (unfortunately sg, I'm going to use two sports that have little exposure in your hometown, so you may have to look them up - like I do for several of your references, great way for us to learn even more ) coaching third base in baseball, where a good coach can instantaneously decide whether to send a runner home, or in American (out of respect for the OP) football, where a quarterback can feel the 'blind side pressure', I have over time, learned how to maximize the value of the aggregate opinion of the collection of TA reviews (hotels and restaurants) and am quite please with its efficacy.

Now, since we're talking Reviews; the most meaningful and valuable Reviews for me, are those written by our Insider colleagues and with that thought in mind, I have a request to make;

Insiders - Marriott, in their inimitable way, has once again made a revision in the name of "enhancing" something, and has instead, devalued it. The Review debacle of the past, where Insiders was opened up to a Facebook type contest and was flooded with one time participants sending in literally hundreds of reviews essentially shutting down Insiders for several months, has now been addressed by Marriott, by taking all of your reviews and assigning them to the hotel property site. Our forum was never clogged up with reviews/write ups/posts (call 'em whatever you want) by Insiders. Now, when an Insider makes a 'formal' Review it will soon go straight to the hotel and not only will we not be able to engage in a give and take discussion, we will soon not even see them.

Insiders, instead of investing the significant amount of energy that many of you have recently writing a Review, please post it as a Discussion instead. That way, the value of your effort is shared among your Insider travel colleagues as opposed to donating it to a record setting, ever expanding, multi-billion dollar financial powerhouse and its unknown (to us) clients.  No fancy pictures are needed, you don't even need to be involved in the follow up discussion, but please put your insights up on The Big Board so the community can engage in the sharing of related experiences and capture the multiplier effect that almost always occurs. Thank you.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming - The Power of Hotel Reviews

sg1974 Gold

erc you have plenty of time writing long posts like that.

i will search around for another quiz for you!

we need to keep the information flowing on the site.

i read the professors post about lack of activity, I agree there has been little of late.

perhaps we need to find out about insiders trips for next year.

have they booked up yet?

where are they going or where do they want to go?

sg1974 Gold

erc Platinum

Smoked it baby!  8 for 8. Responding immediately so you didn't think I looked them up . I'm now off for my morning read of papers so I'm prepared for next month's test. Later gator

sg1974 Gold

I thought that would be too easy for you!

all of the USA for you now:

United States Quiz -- National Geographic

erc Platinum

Ok, that one humbled me and brought me back to earth, seven out of ten. Virtually every answer I got correct, I learned from recent trips; Cape Cod, Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive, Boston, Chicago, Outer Banks, although my Hoover Dam visit did me no good. As jakeal  wrote, I need to get out west and learn more about mountains, and as always, I don't know squat about camels , although I did learn on The Big Bang Theory that Oregon is the only US state flag that is two sided. I bet even our Oregonians,  The specified item was not found. and lindseyh didn't know that .

Ok - enough bantering across the pond - back to your post

The POWER of Hotel Reviews !

(I'll respond to your 2015 Travel post when I return from my coding seminar ).

sg1974 Gold

i thought that one might be a little tougher.

That is an interesting fact about the Oregon flag.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I use both Tripadvisor and Insiders to preview places we wish to visit and find them useful however; as our resident rabble rouser (he's on the recover program currently) writes so eloquently Marriott does NOT allow for engaging the reviewer about the property nor do we easily find them if at all.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I use both but value the Marriott ones most.  I find that ~Tripadvisor people tend to take price into account and rate Hampton Inns above Marriotts quite often.  Stayed at a few of the Marriotts that rated well below a HI and found them to be nice.  In one case comparing a RI with a HI and the RI was rated lower because they charged for parking but the RI was in the city where you could walk to restaurants and the HI was outside of town with no restaurants near so you had to drive to eat and then still pay to park. AIso we get to know each other and know who seems to like what we do and value them more.  Likewise for food, etc.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I use Trip Advisor for research, and I also post reviews.  My reviews are always honest, but I accept others may be malicious or stupidly mean.

My criteria is to usually ignore the very good and very bad reviews, and the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.  However, if 75%+ of reviews are "excellent" or "very good" then the hotel/restaurant is likely to be worth going to.  Obviously the reverse applies when the majority of reviews are in the bottom two categories!

sg1974 Gold

tripadvisor is good when there is a decent sample size & not filled with reviewers posting their one and only review.

generally it has given me a good guide of what to expect.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Yes, I agree.  There was a new pub/restaurant opened near to us a few months ago.  All the reviews were "Excellent" and 95% were first time posters.  Highly suspicious - I will say no more!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Like others, Trip Advisor is a good trusted resource generally.  I also look to reviews of places on Google, Foursquare/Swarm and even the occasional Facebook ones.  I think, much like the news media, if you can stand to consume a little from each place you can form your own opinion from them all.  Sometimes the balance falls too much one way or the other and you can generally make a good educated guess. 

I will say I found a place in Tampa once, Korean BBQ, that I'd driven past literally a 100 times.  It was right across from the hotel.  Finally a night without plans or company, I looked at google and this place had amazing reviews.  Other sites not so much.  I figured what the heck and gave it a try.... I've never looked back and have eaten there at least 50 times.   In the end, you have to decide if your time/money is worth risking for a place to sleep or eat.  

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I use trip advisor a lot for restaurants as well as dining . I do look for places with a lot of reviews and scan many of them as I found their are people who get a hair across and rate a place a 1 while others may always give 5 so read the posts. Also I have noted how often the establishment now relies to trip advisor post and they should

rdh1422 Platinum 3 Reviews

I rely on this type of info in planning leisure travel. SPG hotels has the best and easy review system!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...