20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2015 2:09 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Holiday Season, what are your plans?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

With the Christmas (Holiday Season) coming up.

I thought I would ask what do most insiders do over this period?

Travel Interstate / Overseas?

Spend the time with family locally / interstate / overseas?

Work?

Relax?

We generally travel over this time and have been to the USA every Christmas since 2009.

This has ranged from New York (I love the Christmas decorations) to Washington, to Florida and this year Las Vegas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Holiday Season, what are your plans?
    erc Platinum

Wherever I end up each year, we always get together with family and have our annual Christmas poker extravaganza (several generations competing). This year we are hosting the gaggle, so I'll probably utilize some of my own activities below, as we show them around town. Hopefully, I can finance the event by wiping out my 85 year old aunt's stack of chips; yeah baby, feelin' the love

The Nation's Capital during the holidays

with apologies to our non-American friends, in hindsight I should have written in My Nation's Capital

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

From Thanksgiving to 2015 there are a few travel plan, but none during the actual holidays themselves just going to remain in the hometown.

• Thanksgiving eve spend with In-Laws and share in some "prescribed medicine"
    • Thanksgiving with son and wife with her family in from Bolivia
    • Christmas Eve spend with neighbors in the street
    • Christmas Day spend with Son/Wife and In-Laws
    • New Years eve our traditional throw the car keys in the safe and change the combination to remain at home with the grill cooking up some light appetizer style goodies for the neighbors
    • New Years Day try and remember the new combination to the safe

Happy Holidays to all.

sg1974 Gold

you are well organised. It sounds like good plans for the holidays.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I love your New Years Plans!! So smart!! Although, if your family/friends are anything like mine, there is no way we'd remember the new combination.  We'd spend the day breaking into the safe

erc Platinum

Here's something I can't recall ever seeing before - the Fairfield Inn in Manassas Va is offering rooms New Year's Eve for $11. You may even earn the Look No Further Guarantee - because Marriott.com offers AAA for $11 but their Advance Purchase Standard Rate is $103 (and of course, their Super Duper Marriott Rewards Offer is $129 ).

Fairfield Inn & Suites Manassas (VA) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Got family in town and want to treat them to a sleepover and breakfast - here's your opportunity!

Happy New Years Insiders

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll be working a regular schedule through the end of the year.

With 12/25 and 1/1 both falling on Thursdays, I plan take off the day after one or the other (or both). I will be working the day after Thanksgiving, but if all goes well, I will work from home that day and wrap up the essentials in half a day. Worst case it a day in the office with just a few folks, but that will mean a great parking spot.

Though the holidays are never a big deal with my family, there will be some time with them (and some time with friends). Festivities may be minimal, but the food is always great.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I had thought my travel was going to slow down but seems work has other plans.  I'm in Dallas Dec 3-11th, then perhaps back to London for a week.  I'm definitely off the week between Christmas and New Years, as my daughter's birthday is that week and I'm always home for that

We have discussed taking the girls (11 & soon to be 6) up to the Biltmore House and perhaps catch the Polar Express train running just up the road from there.  Beyond that not much.  Kinda hoping for a little down time early Jan as well but hearing a trip to the UK is looming for the 2nd week in January.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It's always a tug-o-war at our house.  I thrive on the pulse of big family gatherings (which generally requires the holiday be spent out of town) whereas my husband prefers a quiet, barely observed fête.  He'll get no argument from me this year.  After spending the last 44 out of 52 weekends out of town, I am gloriously "Home For The Holidays!"

Oh, I am referring to Thanksgiving (pilgrims and Indians and turkeys), a rather big deal here in the good 'ole US of A.

untitled.png

Christmas will be spent down in Paradise, Carlsbad-by-the-Sea.  Reservations are booked for Marriott Del Mar.

untitled.png

Last year's fancy family Christmas photo.  As you can see, we dressed up for the occasion.

IMAG2738acweb.jpg

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

WIll be spending a week in Vancouver for Christmas. 

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

My wife and I started cooking for Thanksgiving dinner to be shared with all our family members (nearly 20) tomorrow here in Chattanooga. Only our two, older, married grandsons will be visiting with in-laws at their families. Each of our three children will contribute their favorite dishes:  sweet potato pudding, baked and smoked turkeys, cornbread dressing and giblet gravy, green beans, "ambrosia" (sliced oranges, cocoanut, chopped pineapple and English walnuts), cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, chocolate cake, pecan pies.....I think that's about it. We'll enjoy left-overs for days afterward.

However, then everyone (20+) will come to our house for Christmas dinner and gift openings, something we've done for over 20 years with our grand kids. I  usually cook several beef tenderloins on the grill, and my wife prepares "twice-baked potatoes (stuffed with cheese), green beans, probably a baked ham as well, homemade yeast rolls, and a number of desserts.

In mid January, we're heading back to Hilton Head, SC, to stay a few nights at MVC Harbor Club Villas.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

fschumpert,

Hope your family and you, (As well as all MRI's) have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!

Thanks! Fortunately, we don't have to contend with rain, sleet and snow as many are facing in the N.E.

curiousone Platinum

I am writing from the Marriott Canyon Villa Time Shares in Phoenix AZ. We are spending the week here with my wife's cousin and her husband. He is golfing at the two courses at the JW across the street 4 times this week. We will do the T-day buffet at the JW tomorrow (This will be the 3rd time for my wife and I). We will spend Christmas at home in downtown Phoenix. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Marriott Travel Package in Jan 2015 with SWA and a free companion pass for my wife for 23 months.

Happy Holidays to all the MRI's!

Love the JW Marriott in North Scottsdale - fabulous place. We almost bought time share at the nearby villas several years ago.

acpkids Gold 4 Reviews

We tend to take cruises for Christmas. Beautiful decorations to enjoy without the hassle of putting them up and taking them down.  We give the gift of beautiful memories to each other   (And we use our Marriott points to stay at hotels pre and post cruise)

omerlevi Member

This year we are planning to dive in the red sea in Eilat, we heard many recommendations about the city and the spectacular dives sites so we're going to check it

702rugbyref Platinum

For me, the holiday season is Thanksgiving and I will be visiting my mommy in New Brunswick Canada.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...