6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2014 9:41 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Transport delays

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Not an ideal situation.

Hundreds stranded as Eurostar train breaks down with power failure - Telegraph

Have you ever experienced lengthy delays?

A few years back we were on the train from Vienna to Salzburg and it just came to an abrupt stop.

The driver had no idea when it would be fixed. He didn't keep the passengers updated either which didn't help.

Eventually we got moving again. When we finally arrived in Salzburg we had to run to catch the bus to the airport.

Already running late and stressed, then the electric bus comes to a halt as they are working on the cables ahead!

Fortunately after all this fiasco the plane was late, so it ended up ok.

When I am planning multi city trips now, i ensure that on the day of the flight we are in a city closer to the airport.

Apart from this episode we have been very lucky with delays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: Transport delays
    sg1974 Gold

Another situation which comes to mind was a couple of years ago in New York.

We were there in a snow storm and had our flight from New York to New Orleans cancelled.

No flights, the only option was to try to look for the train to leave.

We booked the train to Washington. It eventually left in the middle of the night, there were plenty of delays on the way.

I had booked a hotel in Washington for that night and we arrived at 5am! Luckily the hotel allowed us a late check out so we could at least have a few hours sleep.

we were then able to get a flight later that day from Washington to New Orleans.

We just had to get there and I'm glad we did as that was a great city to visit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Delays and diversions I've had plenty.  Let me see if I can recall a few.....and each one was related to thunderstorms in the Houston area that caused the delay.

• SNA-IAH diverted to CRP for gas, on the ground for 5 hours in CRP before departing to IAH.
      • GSO-IAH diverted to MSY for gas, on the ground for 4 hours in MSY before departing to IAH.
      • ELP-IAH diverted to DFW for gas, on the ground for 3 hours in DFW with two retun to the gate.  Ended up getting off the flight and renting a car for the 3 hour drive home.
      • DFW-IAH diverted to AUS for gas after holding for an hour, on the ground in AUS for another three hours before departing to IAH.
      • RSW-IAH diverted to SAT for gas, on the ground for 20 minutes in SAT before departing to IAH.
      • CLT-IAH diverted to MSY for gas, on the ground for 2 hours in MSY before departing for IAH.
      • SEA-IAH delayed in SEA for 7 hours before departing for IAH.
      • PHL-IAH delayed in PHL for 7 hours due to weather in PHL then holding pattern for 1 hour 100 miles from IAH.

Probably a few more, but these are the ones that stand out in my mind, sort of like the highlights of my delay program.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had a plane leaving Iowa delayed because it hit a deer.

I've had a train delayed to the point we just drove because it had hit a tree.

I've been on a train similar to your situation with zero information coming from the crew.  We however were baking without power just beside a small country road in central VA in July.  The train as you can imagine became quite the place to be

Too many flight cancellations or delays over the years to really recall.  The one that sticks out was when a tornado come through DFW just before the 5pm rush on commuters.  I was trying to get to RDU and was in the Admiral's club waiting on my plane.  Fortunately I had a buddy there holding our seats because they were turning people away it was so packed.  I walked down to the lobby to ask if there was any chance to get out and witnessed a guy ripping the ladies at the desk a new one.  I went and asked the bar tender to bring a round of the ladies' favorite "work appropriate" drinks and as he delivered them I approached and asked very nicely, saying "if not, no big deal I can go tomorrow"  The lady was so touched she booked me on every single plane, first class, that was scheduled to leave.  Then came and told me to get on this one plane going to St Louis then on to RDU as it was the ONLY plane leaving heading east all night.   The lesson for all of it was and sticks with me today, be nice regardless because unless the person you are ripping apart caused the issue (and even then rethink it), they certainly have no motivation to fix it when you are being a jerk  

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Zuk,

You are so right!

Nice way to handle a crisis.  It is so much easier to handle a crisis if you are alone, especially working, than when you have loved ones with you!

Thanks for sharing some great advice!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great story of being a friendly caring person for those poor souls dealing with the traveling idiots.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

So true!

Some people think they are so important, it's sad!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...