1 2 3 15 Previous Next 222 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2015 1:32 PM by pluto77 RSS

2015 Travel Plans

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I thought this an opportune time to ask what are you travel plans for the upcoming year?

How many trips have you already booked?

How many trips do you plan on taking in 2015?

Has insiders given you some destination ideas that you previously wouldn't have considered?

I'll start the ball rolling:

I have only booked up two overseas trips so far for the coming year:

January we are off to Marrakesh

May we are to Italy to visit Naples and the Amalfi Coast area.

Hopefully we will make it to Greece at some stage next year also.

erc, jerrycoin, profchiara lets hear from you for a start.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
St. Louis, MO, USA
Ireland
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • 1. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

Also looking back on 2014, which destinations surprised you and were better than expected?

Or which places were overrated?

From our travels, I think Valencia in Spain was very nice and better than I expected.

It has a nice mix of the old town and the superb new buildings in the city of science and arts, and a beach close by.

The AC hotel was fine also, it was located only a 5 minute walk from the city of sciences and arts and about a 10 - 15 minute bus journey from the old town.

And the orange juice (zumo de naranja) was excellent.

Turisvalencia

I will post some photos of our trip soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi sg,

I'm going to Venice after classes are over in December (after realizing last year that that's the time I think the city is most beautiful and most truly Venetian.

I've booked two FF trips to Greece for May and August, but don't know what islands I'll be on -- except they will almost certainly be in the Cyclades since that's where my research usually takes me for Bronze Age archaeological sites.

• 3. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

We visited Venice over Christmas holidays one year. It was quieter than some other times of the year and a bit warmer than London.

I saw this article this morning:

Venice bans wheelie suitcases due to 'noise pollution' on canal bridges | Daily Mail Online

If i do make it to Greece, i will have to check with you to see what is worth visiting.

• 4. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Haven't booked reservations yet, but I'll probably return to Holland and Belgium after first of the year, and possibly to Italy (norther Italy first, and then return visit to the Renaissance Tuscany IL Ciocco, north of Lucca for weekend) - all for combined business & pleasure.

• 5. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

That Renaissance in Tuscany is a nice hotel!

i'd happily return also.

• 6. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    erc Platinum

Whereas I've been to many theatrical performances (as well as local sports teams ) that were overrated, I must say without trying to appear too pollyannish, I've yet to experience an overrated travel experience. I can have as much fun busting chops with buds (ha ha - that's an unplanned pun) in a small town brewpub as I can in the exciting and thrillingly, glamorous capital of England.

Next year (because, you know me - love me some deals - so I book early and often ) my schedule is once again heavily inspired by Insider input

Costa Rica - at tker's Autograph Punta Islita

Las Vegas to celebrate's Mom birthday - at vaboywnder's Grand Chateau

Ocean City Md.- well that's a local hangout along with Rehoboth, Bethany, VaBeach and the Outer Banks

sadly, (although because of a  good reason, the Mrs.' business is so red hot, she can't afford to be away two weeks) I must forego my beautifully crafted by Insiders Belgium trip and will instead spend a week in Quebec City - the good news, I hadn't gone hard yet on deposits or pluto77's well crafted train strategy, so I was able to save airline points, which as United goes dollar spend devaluation, will actually be more valuable for me next year.

Asheville - courtesy of jakeal's great (albeit in the deadzone - blogs ) writeup

Pre hurricane season anywhere in Florida is great - this year I'm headed to IAHFLYR's Ft. Myers

and so on and so on.

Tomorrow I leave for the wonderful Big Easy, New Orleans - GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE!

• 7. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

We are staying at the Grand Chateau over Christmas.

I'm glad that vaboywnder and yourself rate it ok.

Have fun in New Orleans.

Enjoy those beignets from cafe du monde.

• 8. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    erc Platinum

You bet I will, crawfish etouffee, jambalaya, reds beans and rice, gumbo, oysters, whiskey soaked bread pudding, po boys, and I bet I can find a decent beer or two .

Give my regards to the Elvi, I'll have a Blue Christmas without you , and with the possible exception of Cirque du Soleil, don't you dare pay full price for any of those shows (or the wheel) with TravelZoo, AmazonLocal, Groupon, Goldstar etc etc all chasing your tourist dollar!

• 9. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg1974,

Good question, but so far:

Scottsdale, AZ, New Orleans, Chicago, London, Paris and Bavaria, Germany!

sg1974, the best to your family and you for the holiday season!  Look forward to seeing you again in London!

"Happy Trails" to you!

IMG_3240.JPG

Thanks for the wonderful time we all had in London!

• 10. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

I'll sharpen the pencil and start looking out for some deals soon.

With the wealth of knowledge on the site I will have to ask the insiders their suggestions for Las Vegas.

• 11. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

Yes it was a good time.

Hope you enjoy the upcoming holiday season.

• 12. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

sg1974 you'll not find many places as lovely and breathtaking as the Amalfi Coast....great selection.  Here is some photos from our trip a couple of years back:

Amalfi Coast

As for our travel plans for 2015, only thing currently booked is March to the Oregon Coast. 

There will be three or four Ft. Myers trips of course and might even try to catch a glimpse of erc enjoying some time in the Gulf waters.

Talk of Hawaii and tracking down the more and more elusive kharada46 in early fall nothing actually found as yet.

Definitely a Seattle journey sometime during the year and that will probably be about it.

• 13. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    sg1974 Gold

Your photos are nice. I remember seeing them a while ago.

The names make a bit more sense now, as I did a bit of research for the trip.

I'm glad you had a great time there, as I read the professor didn't quite enjoy it as much!

was it very busy when you were there?

did you go to Capri?

• 14. Re: 2015 Travel Plans
    gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

My plans for 2015 include trips to Arizona (Flagstaff, Sedona and Phoenix), Vancouver, New York City, Hawaii and Virginia.  Currently, I have no plans to travel overseas.  Of course, if a good deal comes along I will take advantage of it.

As far as better than expected in 2014, Brussels and Ghent were awesome.  I knew London would be a great place to visit and it fulfilled every expectation and beyond. 

1 2 3 15 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...