3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2014 9:54 PM by erc RSS

Car sharing - the Airbnb of rental cars?

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

While reading our good Insider thread on car rental ideas Rental car STICKER SHOCK (yes, I am yelling!)

I came upon the following article that relates to airport car rentals and may just offer a potential/future savings

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/company-offers-free-parking-to-dulles-travelers-but-theres-a-catch/20

essentially the deal goes as follows; leave your car and FlightCar rents it out to other drivers (see article for issues regarding insurance etc).

I was aware of the previous operation, mentioned in the article, Relay Rides, but wasn't interested because it was essentially just a broker, allowing me to negotiate a deal with a renter - no thanks. FlightCar  does it for you. You save on airport parking and have your car washed. You are paid per mile under the targeted 75 miles per day (a pretty tight range mostly between 10 and 20 cents), based on your car model and year. If the car is driven more than an average of 75 miles per day, you get 40 cents per mile over 75.

Now I have an old enough clunker that I might even consider this idea down the road...naaah, but it's fun to dream. I can see me crossing the Canadian border and the Royal Mounted Police finding some cannabis in my trunk from my previous renter - well, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it .

What say you Early Adopters (and you know who you are) ? Does this have a chance of working or will it be an innovative idea that leads to a revised version that becomes the norm? Can we say Napster and MySpace - (what are those? ).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Car sharing - the Airbnb of rental cars?
    erc Platinum
       Well, perhaps car sharing is before it's time; don't call us FlightCar, we'll call you.

Time to toss this story into the trash heap
      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/29883900.cms
              (actual event took place in India, citizens not pleased with trash pickup, toss exec into his 'product')
                                            As Rodney would say, "tough crowd, tough crowd"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

erc I saw this post this morning and just did not get around to commenting.  The link in your original post seems to be broken, so posting the article again here: Company offers free parking to Dulles travelers, but there’s a catch - The Washington Post

While I might fall into the category of "early adopter", my early adoption behaviors are driven purely by convenience, not necessarily costs savings.  To that end I will not be an "early adopter" on car sharing.  I do not care how thoroughly the company vets renters, I do not want to trust a complete stranger to treat my car like I would. Additionally, there is no way I want to be faced with the uncertainty of whether or not my car will be returned by the time I return from my travels or even worse if I need to unexpectedly return early.

erc Platinum

Thanks for the save and sharing the link (I don't know what the heck happened).

I'm in total agreement with you, I can only imagine the potential horror stories (as some airbnb homeowners have discovered).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...