18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2014 10:24 AM by razorbackfan RSS

What are Your Plans Regarding Travel When You Retire?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My first employment after graduating from college did not involve travel; however, when I changed to another company in sales this not only involved auto, but also airplane travel, even some international trips. Hailing from a small town in S.C., I had never even thought of traveling this way, and I've been doing the same thing for some 50 years.

Back then, there were no airline "hubs", no  airline "frequent flyer" programs, no "Marriott Rewards", no need for high-security checks and luggage scanners at airports, very few remote parking sites and courtesy buses, no mobile phones or computers, and most domestic flights were via prop planes vs. jet-propelled. Travel was somewhat exciting back in the "good ole days".  IMAGINE!

Now with all the incentives, such as mentioned above, directed toward gaining repeat customers, and with many of probably high-level achievers in these programs, will your travel plans (frequency, destinations, utilization of award points, loyalty to airline-hotel-car rental brands, etc.) continue as they are now, or will you adopt new itineraries,  methods of payment, personal vs. business travel when you retire?

Or, having traveled as much as you have in past years, and understanding the growing frustrations with modern-day travel, certain age and health restrictions, do you plan to stay close to home, or reduce your international travel, devote more time to family, or not travel at all?

Self employed, I have no immediate plans to retire from my present equipment sales work entirely; however, I have reduced my travel frequency, but health permitting, will likely continue traveling some, both domestic and international. If I have to depend entirely on case purchases of airfares, hotel rooms, car rentals and meals in the near future, I'll probably cut back even more.

Just curious ......

Message was edited by: Fred Schumpert

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
  • Re: What are Your Plans Regarding Travel When You Retire?
    erc Platinum

I am retired (well at least from working) and my plans are to travel as much as possible (without it becoming a chore), seeking out the art of the deal as well as the location (love it when a plan comes together) and doing as much as enjoyably possible, because we've probably all had enough potential scares to realize, you never know when it (or yourself) could stop.

I will enjoy wherever I go, be it a fancy restaurant in Paris or a bluegrass festival in Luray (there is just so much to pleasantly experience). I will remain flexible revising loyalty strategies on the dime, reacting to the market forces and most importantly of all, I will arm myself with the travel weapon of well informed, fascinating, generous, and enjoyable colleagues in a forum known as THE INSIDERS .

Keep on keepin' on Insiders .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well I still do some business travel but for pleasure went to Santa fe and next year already planned to Aruba and river cruise in Europe plus of course my quarterly trip to Las Vegas next time staying at Cosmo

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm not waiting for retirement to travel. I'm doing it now. (Or haven't you read my blog? )

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'm with you bejacob.  I plan to teach till at least age 70 (6-1/2 more years) because with my salary and some research travel subsidies I can do so now. Once I'm retired (single by choice, no family) I will have to rely solely on what I have saved.  Fortunately I have been aggressive even through the recession in keeping my money in stocks, but it still won't permit much if any travel.  I want to delay the ending of travel as long as possible even with my joint woes.

As you all know from my rather sour Sorrento post a while back, I never travel for leisure because I get bored -- though that certainly doesn't mean that I don't thoroughly enjoy myself in the places where I'm doing research!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am a strictly leisure traveler, not yet retired from working.  I loved this question, because it really prompted me to think about my post retirement travel goals.  What I quickly came to realize is that I cannot possibly do all that I desire in the realm of travel within the scope of my future retirement.

What will change is the length of my current visits (3-4x/year) to see my daughters, sons-in-law and grandchildren.  I'll be able to stay longer.  I'll be able to travel both directions mid-week or on Saturdays, which I hope will result in slightly lower airfares.  I also have a goal of doing one multigenerational destination vacation/year, something we currently only do on rare occasions (whilst still working and with the grandkids still being quite young).

I hope to be able to do one or possibly two overseas trips/year for as long as possible during the first half of my retirement so as to accomplish the long distance travel goals while I am still able to handle the longer flights, saving the more proximal destinations for later on... Although...

Since my longtime dream of living somewhere in France (Provence?) for a year is extremely unlikely to be realized, I do have a more realistic(?) idea of shutting up the house and letting a tiny place somewhere near the East Coast for 6-9 months in order to finally (and to the fullest degree possible) explore the eastern part of our great nation.  I'd actually like to do that sooner rather than later.

I would like to get my Florida on (finally see what all of the hype is about).  I went to Orlando once in July.  It was pretty da*n hot and humid.

As far as strategies, they will likely remain the same.  I will remain as loyal to airlines/hotels as they are to me.  Since I hope to explore areas overseas that are more "off the beaten path," I would anticipate a number of boutique/BnB type stays in addition to Marriott stays.  If it looks like the funds might begin to dry up for any reason, I'll be looking for cheaper lodging options while being thankful for "the good old days."  And maybe too, as I dream about these plans, God has other plans for me is ROTFLOL.

So, back to our regular scheduled programming... (and thanks for asking a provocative question, Fred.)

pluto77 -Regarding visiting/residing somewhere on East Coast, I'm partial to S.C., having lived there until early 70's and continuing to return, especially to coastal areas. Charleston is one - if not the top - of the most popular cities in the U.S., and Greenville (foothills of the Appalachian Mountains) is a close second. You can drive from top to bottom of S.C. in less than five hours. If our children and grandchildren were not residing in Tennessee near us we would probably move back to S.C.

I traveled in the U.K. for several years staying in B&B's before later joining Marriott Reward program, but strategic Marriotts are not always available. If interested in this type accommodations you might check one of my earlier posts regarding B&B resources. They obviously don't have all the amenities of a major hotel; however, I treasure the friends I've met in various places where I've stayed multiple times. Eating in their kitchen, or sitting by the fire in their living room, getting to know someone from a different country and culture is kinda fun, at least for me.

Thanks, Fred.  I will do due diligence and investigate SC.  I must admit however that I have my sights on VA.  Thanks again.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Sounds good pluto77!  Hopefully you will get to check out my neck of the woods on a future visit.

Yep.  When I lived in VA/DC while a young, bright-eyed, hard charging whipper snapper, an abrupt departure left me with a perennial feeling of leaving ufinished business behind.  Perhaps someday I can resolve that, perhaps not.  Regardless, I look forward to visiting your neck of the woods someday!

superchief1 Platinum

Having lived in Greenville, SC (our favorite place of 12 cities we have lived coast to coast), I had hoped to retire in SC and even purchased a lot several years ago in McCormick, SC. However, after several mergers and downsizing, we ended up purchasing our childhood home in Cincinnati and are investing in upgrading a great house. Therefore, I hope to use my five weeks of MVC timeshares to stay in warm locations during winter/spring months. I had planned to use my lifetime savings of MR points to enjoy travel in my retirement, but the significant devaluation of points is causing me to use them now rather than losing them.

superchief1 - Are you kidding me? My hometown is McCormick, SC. Where were you considering  purchase of lot? Savannah Lakes?

superchief1 Platinum

I bought a lot several years ago at Savannah Lakes. It isn't lakefront but is nice sloping lot into core of engineer property that eventually backs into lake. We have been paying the fees for many years with the intention of retiring ther in a few years. However, with two recent moves due to mergers, I don't know if I can move again. I may sell my lot and later just by an existing resale.

I love the area, It is an ideal combination of good weather, still four seasons, and great people.

When I was last in McCormick the Savannah Lakes hotel and restaurant were closed - perhaps financial reasons? However, a number of families have built houses on the golf course and surrounding "lake" area. Actually, it's not a "lake", but backwater from the Savannah River that separates S.C. and GA.

I spent my early childhood at the John de la Howe School, some nine miles west of McCormick when my father was teaching at the school. I was graduated from McCormick High in 1960, and moved away after college. Many of my high school classmates still live in McCormick.

Back in the mid 1800's McCormick became famous for having more gold in its area than any gold mines in California!

In case you might not be familiar with the coastal S.C., MVC facilities in SC, two of the more popular spots are Marriott Ocean Watch, North Myrtle Beach, adjacent to Marriott Resort Hotel (one of many pools seen from high floor of MVC Villa on the beach).

MVC Photos 003.jpg

Then, at Hilton Head, SC, there are some 7 MVC villas to choose from, but our favorites are the Grand Ocean (on the beach) DSCN0048.JPG

......and the Harbor Club, in Sea Pines Plantation, at Harbor Town...

Spring Break - 2014 002.jpg

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I still have at least 13 more years before I can retire from the University but I do hope and plan to continue to travel frequently for leisure. Would definitely consider taking more international trips in retirement. Life is too short and there is a great big world out there to see and enjoy! 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I'm semi-retired, still running a small health-care business.  Since I have always been a nervous flyer, most of my trips are limited to the SC coast (Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach), Raleigh, NC (special granddaughter), and Florida (JAX, Orlando, Naples, Marco Island).  Belong to the MVC points program whose flexibility has afforded us many great stays especially on Hilton Head Island and in Orlando where there are many properties.  Had my fill of travel while working for international companies.  Been to Europe on numerous occasions, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.  But my nervous flying and the World situation tend to make me stay clear of international travel these days.  As I am writing this, I'm watching the waves crash into the beach at the Myrtle Beach VC and could probably stay here for a very long time and be happy, especially when my favorite Granddaughter arrives for Thanksgiving.

Location Brand Hotel
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

ahhh retirement...  Short of winning the lotto or my boss selling the company and sharing with me, my retirement is still a good ways down the road.

I can't imagine I won't still want to see the world and hop around from favorite city to city but that's quite a way down the road, who knows what the world will be like then.  In the mean time I plan to travel as much as I can now when I can around my work trips.  I don't shy away from new places when given the chance to go and have seen 46 of the states here in the US and 34 countries along the way.  I would like to say I've been to all of the continents at some point in my life but suspect at least one might elude me along the way.  I'm pretty sure neither AA nor Marriott will be able to get all of them (think waaaay south ) but I do plan to stick with both as much as I possibly can until it doesn't make sense to continue.

My real hope is that I can instill the wanderlust of travel in my kids and help give them a chance to experience other countries and cultures as they grow up.  I have had the chance to see a lot of the US as a kid growing up but never got to venture to other lands until I was in my 30s.  I want my kids to see things while they are still young so they can form their own impressions of the world and experience things they otherwise might not be able to as they grow into adults with their own responsibilities.  And if I'm honest and a bit selfish, I also want travel partners that I adore being with that I can share life experiences along the way

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

My agenda for retirement included travel, travel, and more travel. We had even considered a temporary move to Hawaii or Washington D.C. or a permanent move to Arkansas.  Unfortunately, we have not moved.  Fortunately, we have been able to take numerous trips that had been on our bucket list including bicycle trips to Europe, cruises to Alaska and Norway, trips out west to our incredible National Parks, several trips to Hawaii to see the Hogs play and the whales play, and frequent trips to New Orleans.  I see some wonderful trips in our future.  When my husband retires in a few years, our travel should increase.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...