24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2014 8:09 AM by iahflyr RSS

Ranking Airport Dining

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am not usually one to get to the airport with enough time to grab food, however I will grab something on layovers which makes this list of best airport dining somewhat useful for me.  erc and vaboywnder according to this list Dulles is getting a Chef Geoff’s, Bar Symon, and District Chophouse within the next year.  IAHFLYR's home base comes in at #27, kharada46's home base HNL comes in at #37, jerrycoin's home base comes in at #29, bejacob's Port Columbus comes in at #40.  pluto77, californian, jm1991, misterchk and others from the West Coast have all 3 of their major airports in the top 10.

In the past month I have flown in and out of 2 of the top 12 (MSP and DEN), but did not stop at any of the places mentioned on the list.

An interesting list nonetheless . . .

Best Airports For Food and Drink - Best American Airports For Eating

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Newark, New Jersey, USA
  • Re: Ranking Airport Dining
    erc Platinum

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. On my home based Dulles, I'm there for the purpose of departing and I almost always fly one of the first flights out, so I'm grabbing a breakfast, usually at Five Guys, the delicious bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich with their fries (although I pass on the coffee; watching my blood pressure ). Chipotle for lunch if necessary and Subway and Potbelly for take on sandwiches (although I'm confident I've tried all the sit downs and their fine).

Reagan National - Similarly, I keep it simple - as a courtesy to my fellow flyers and my intestines, I ain't eatin' any of Ben's half smokes before boarding! (that's for a downtown visit, when you can 'walk it off' ).

When out of town I try to sample a local version, like Legal Seafood at Logan or The Anchor Bar at Buffalo (inventor of Buffalo Wings) or when in the rare occasion, I have to make that gawd-awful-trip to BWI (due to savings I just can't ignore) I'll schedule time for Obrycki's (but as expected, their Fells Point operation was more fun, but alas, I'm pretty sure it's closed now - I'm off to Rusty Scupper tomorrow night, I'll have a Bar Food write up).

But in general, I keep my airport dining simple and familiar, taking few chances, plus I need to maintain my lithe figure to slide into those comfortable seats coming my way .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Thanks for sharing and I agree this is an interesting article.  My goal at any airport is to be in and out so fast that I do not have time to eat.  As that goal is rarely accomplished this article is a good reference to have.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Interesting article, though not one that will likely have much effect on me. Like others, eating at airports is more of an afterthought. Only when connecting flights allow for ample time create painfully long layovers do I opt for anything more than the bland food court fare. I'm more interested in getting out of the airport to find decent, reasonably-priced (and when possible local) dining choices.

I have, on occasion, sat down for a good meal at an airport. The drawback is that it usually hits the wallet a bit harder.

rshally Platinum

Thanks for sharing the article.  MCO @ #50 cracks me up (it is basically all fast food).  Whenever I get a chance flying out of IAH I try to get to Le Grand Comptoir - great wine and food and phone chargers at the bar.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Interesting stuff, can't believe DFW was tops on the list....incredible so that alone should make me leery of the list!!!

IAH being #27 on the list all I have to say is oh well, yes Cat Cora's we have eating appetizers during a delayed flight once....it was okay but certainly nothing to write home about and Pappadeaux is just above average.  Whataburger in Terminal B is an airport franchisee operation and hit or miss from what I've been told and that is about all I can say regarding IAH food offerings.

Honestly we occasionally we will grab a Subway Turkey Breast to split on the plane for late morning to noon flight times.  We can grab a bagel, fruit and pre-departure "med" in the UA Club to work for breakfast.  Evening flights we totally avoid whenever possible so a few crackers and carrots work if it's a late afternoon flight.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I have only eaten at an airport once and its because I was sick all the way to Guadalajara and was starving half an hour before boarding. I only drink coffee from Starbucks and their sandwiches while I wait if im hungry. I have been wanting to try the San jose Club lounge but my two previous flights have been from Oakland which sucks.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I like the Seattle airport among others.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

At first I struggled to find the relevancy in this article simply because at many of the airports on the list, you can’t eat/drink at a lot of these airport terminal restaurants/bars even if you wanted to, because they are located behind a security entry point where your boarding pass won’t gain you access, depending on your carrier/terminal (LAX, SAN and JFK immediately come to mind.)  Additionally, I had to disagree with some of the rankings (and again, perhaps because I don’t have access to some of the restaurants because I don’t fly out of those specific terminals; at SAN’s T1/AS gates for instance, they closed their bar and coffee/bagel counter for 4 months while they remodeled to make a new restaurant.  As a frequent flyer to/from SAN, I had high hopes while waiting for it to open, only to be sorely disappointed.  Maybe the restaurant in the other terminal is really great (as the article indicates), but I’ll likely never know because of the airline/terminal that I fly in and out of.)  Also, some very good restaurants (in my opinion) were passed over in the article.  Anthony’s in SEATAC’s central terminal (available to all flyers) as well as Ivar's – not even mentioned.  The same with Esquire Grill in SMF’s Terminal B, and Luckyfish and Chaya Sushi in Bradley Int’l terminal at LAX.  Pretty good airport dining, all.

Although I would never seek to dine at an airport on purpose, there are occasions when it is necessary, which is what makes jakeal's post actually very relevant for me.   Now, when I know in advance that I'll have to figure out a dining option at an airport (being the non-first class flyer that I am ), I will go to the airport's dining webpage (something I previously did not know existed) to ascertain my options in advance!

Bon Appetit!

Although I've never eaten at Anthony's or Ivar's at SEA I have dined on the waterfront and both are wonderful.

The seafood at Anthony's in SEA is very good (I would imagine as good as the restaurant in Seattle, though I couldn't say) and it's great if you can snag a window table for some excellent runway watching.

The Ivar's counter at SEA offers a very generous portion of delicious shrimp cocktail for a ridiculously low price.  I love flying through SEA just to grab one of those and then kick back in a rocking chair in front of the IMAX sized runway viewing window in the central terminal and just enjoy the show.

My husband loves it because every time I fly through there on the way home, I always bring back a tub of Ivar's Clam Chowder.  I just set the bag with the chowder in the narrow overhead (everyone gate checks their bags on the li'l CRJ7's anyway), and so far, so good.  This favored ritual will be executed again both tomorrow and Sunday!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Never tried either at the airport, but I too, have been to both on the waterfront.

So now as of this last weekend, not only do I have to bring Ivar's clam chowder back with me on the inbound, I have to deliver Ivar's shrimp cocktail on the outbound!

"So Mom, did you happen to bring any of that shrimp cocktail from SEATAC with you?"

"Um, no... Do you want me to start grabbing some?"

"That would be great!"

(This is starting to get out of control. )

Awesome, hey would you send some down this way please as we don't have any chowder down here worth eating?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That might be a chance for a trade...you get chowder, they get brisket. I am sure Seattle doesn't have a great brisket market.

I dunno about brisket, ks77, but here in the central valley (CA), we have great Santa Maria Tri Tip!  (But not so great Clam Chowdah.  Unless you head to Monterey or SF.)

Here's something for you that may work as a great substitute.   Pluto's Clam Chowder Recipe

I'm going to have to spend time reading this later as it's off to golf today, but anything you recommend has to be good!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jakeal,

Good information and ideas to share with all of us!

One thing a lot of people should consider, if one has time, is to take a shuttle or walk to a nearby hotel!  For example, in Orlando you have a Hyatt, that you can enjoy a nice meal, and get away from "Airport stress"!  Have done this also in Rome, it was a nice break.

Please keep the information coming!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Phoenix is in the process of a complete makeover with local top rated restaurants taking over for major chains. So if I PHX there are now many great restaurants at the airport especially in terminal 4

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Paschal's in ATL airport beats anything, in my opinion.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for sharing jakeal!  I'm surprised HNL placed that high on the list.  As the article state, there aren't that many unique options here.  And to be honest, Lahaina Chicken is food court food... But dining options match the airport itself; mediocre at best! 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

The Gallagher's steakhouse in Terminal C is closed. I have never eaten there but I know for a fact it is closed. To have EWR as #4 on the list is an abomination and certainly now with Gallagher's as their main reasoning now closed.. The food choices at EWR are mediocre at best, and I am referring to Terminal C which is light years ahead of the other two. If flying out of Terminal A, do yourself a favor, grab a nature valley granola bar, and a bottle of water. It might be expensive but is much better and still cheaper than anything else in Terminal A.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

ks77 - according to this blog post (http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/united-turning-ewr-terminal-c-culinary-haven/) from the blog Fly & Dine Newark dining will be getting an upgrade.  According to the blog, "Over 55 new dining outlets will be available to travelers and once they all open, Newark will offer the largest collection of chef-driven restaurants anywhere in America".

Location Brand Hotel
      Newark, New Jersey, USA
        ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

It is always a good thing when airports are upgraded and improved. I just wish they would do something with Terminals A and B. I realize the space and design of those terminals does not lend itself to large open spaces like C but if they could just do SOMETHING to make A and B better I would appreciate it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...