10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2014 8:55 AM by iahflyr RSS

Only 1 more night for Gold Status.  Should we hold off for now?

chosen50 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We are currently Silver Elite members and only have to stay 1 more night to obtain our Gold Status.

What would be the best way to keep our status (gold or silver) for the longest amount of time?

Since the clock resets in Feb, should we wait until Feb 2015 to stay our night to obtain our Gold Status?

Finally, I've heard that our clock resets at the beginning of the calendar year.  If this is true... we have to stay one more night before the end of the year correct?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Only 1 more night for Gold Status.  Should we hold off for now?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Welcome chosen50,

You should stay that one more night before December 31, 2014, as Marriott Rewards elite nights reset each calendar year.  I believe if you look at the bottom of your Silver card and there should be a date that your Silver status is valid through which probably has 2/2015 embossed on it.  If you obtain Gold status in 2014 the date on your Gold card should be valid through 2/2016 as that is the current dates Marriott uses.

Hope this helps and that The specified item was not found. (Go Ducks) will either verify it or tell me to sit down back in my corner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think you're confusing elite year end status with rollover here, chosen50

If you stay another night between now and end December you'll be upgraded to Gold and that will apply till Feb 2016. at the beginning of January the stay clock resets to zero and shortly after that rollovers are added. As you'll have done 50 nights in 2014, you'll have nothing to rollover to 2015 so if you don't stay 50 nights during 2015, then you'll be busted down to silver in Feb 2016.

BUT If you don't stay another night between now and end December you'll end the year as Silver and NOT be upgraded to Gold. This will mean you will have stayed 49 nights in 2014 which is 39 more nights than your silver status, so those 39 extra nights will rollover to 2015.

This means you'll start 2015 with 39 nights so you'll then need only 11 nights to make Gold in 2015 which (once you do those 11 nights) will then last till Feb 2017, whether or not you actually stay the whole 50 nights in 2015 or 2016, thus effectively getting an extra year out of your gold status.

But here's the biggie, stay 36 nights in 2015 and  as a result your counter will reach 75 nights and you'll be promoted to Plat through to Feb 2017, and even if you don't make the nights to retain gold in 2016, youll qualify for the "soft landing" from Plat to Gold in Feb 2017, which will last till Feb 2018!

Finally, it is of course possible that Marriott may comp you Gold status at end 2014 anyway, as you're so close, in which case nothing will rollover. If this happens your Gold status will be till Feb 2016

coupons Gold

Question re:status-I am currently gold and have 41 nites; I will not get 50 nites; so I will be dropped down to silver; since I start with 15 due to credit card, will the extra nites from this year be rolled over into silver and will have the 41 plus the 15?  thanks for the response  carol

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you would get any rollover nights.  The T&Cs state "If a member downgrades to a lower status (e.g., Plat to Gold, Gold to Silver) there would be no rollover nights"

So my guess is that you would start the new year as silver, and have the 15 credit card nights, assuming that you get them at the start of every year.

If I am wrong, I am sure other MRIs will correct me.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Tommo781 is right. If you drop down a level, you don't get any rollver nights. You have to at least maintain your exisiting level or you begin the year with no rollover nights. Of course you will get the 15 nights for the credit card, but that's all.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

brightlybob has laid out all the possibilities quite well. Read through his comments carefully so you can make a well informed decision.

The one last thing I would advise is to check to see if you had any rollover nights from 2013. If so, those will disappear at the end of the year. So your 39 rollover for next year (49 night minus the 10 to be Silver) could be further reduced by whatever rollover nights you had last year (if, say you have 9 rollover nights before, you'd only have 30 to roll into 2015). That might sway your decision as to whether to try for Gold this year or get a head start for next year.

Message was edited by: bejacob

chosen50 Silver

Thanks everyone for the great info!!!   We just became Marriott Rewards members this year (we held our wedding at the local Renaissance Hotel).  We already have a reservation booked, so we'll take your advice and hit our Gold Status before the end of the year.   Thanks again for the info!!!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I'd go for gold.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, right?  The jump in perks from silver to gold is significant if you value concierge lounge access.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...