10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2016 11:38 AM by sgreene RSS

A review of the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've had the opportunity to stay at the Grosvenor House for the first time this week while in London.  I have previously always stayed at the County Hall, which is a fantastic property but my boss insisted we stay at the JW and who am I to argue

The Park Lane entrance is nice but if you are arriving by car you might choose to arrive at the Park Street side.  Once you arrive you'll have this for a view... very nice.  This side also puts you directly at the check in desk where jumping out on Park Lane will require a little walk through the hotel and down some stairs.  Might but a bit of a pain with luggage so ask your driver to enter this way if you have bags.

IMG_0030.JPG

My first impression of the property was made prior to arrival when I received an email from the front desk manager asking for clarification on my reservation.  I had 2 rooms booked and they wanted to ensure they had the names of folks staying in the second room.  Impressive, its the first time I've had that happen and I do often book more than one room for coworkers.  The other nice bit was that they upgraded my rooms prior to arrival, one to a superior suite room and the other to a superior room.  Definitely a great first impressions.

They continued with this at check in.  Having arrived at the middle of the afternoon, the reception area was quite busy.  They had an elite check in desk staffed by two people so I had no queue to check in.  The staff at the JW are finely trained.  Very professional, very polite and cater to your every need.

My room was on the 5th floor and quite nice.  The living room was small but cozy while the bedroom was actually fairly good sized.  The bath room was well equipped and while the window behind the shower was a bit unnerving at first, you really couldn't see anything through it

IMG_0061 (1).JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

One of the really nice things about this property, at least in the room I was in, it had US power plugs along with UK and EU plugs.  Made for easy charging of the laptop and other devices. 

They have just finished redoing their Executive Lounge.  I had not been to the one they had up on the 7th floor previously so I dont really have a comparison against the new one but the new one is pretty top notch.  They are however very mindful of who gains access to the lounge.  Even with both rooms booked under my Plat Prem number, they only allowed me + a guest into the lounge, even though there were 3 people staying at the property between the 2 rooms.  They also had a fairly strict "no take away" policy that I witnessed being enforced a few times.  This is one of those things to be aware of if you plan on utilizing the lounge.

The lounge is just how it is pictured on the site and I cannot say enough good things about the staff there.  They went out of the way to make sure everything was top notch, that anything folks needed was attended to and even arranged for some reservations at a local restaurant for us.  The food was very nice in the lounge, with rotating selections through the day.  They did have a nice selection of teas and a coffee machine there all day long. 

IMG_0056.JPG

The one thing about this lounge being open all day is that around meal times it was very busy.  At other times it was very empty. This picture was taken around 830pm and as you can see there's just a few folks sitting around

IMG_0054.JPG

The lobby offers some very nice seating and there is also a very nice fireplace just below the piano bar area.  It was very busy in the evenings and later in the afternoons but was a good place to relax earlier in the days.

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Our rate included a full English breakfast in the JW Steakhouse.  It was a nice buffet style with a fair number of selections and also included a choice of fresh made waffles, pancakes or omelettes.   For the listed price of 29GBP, if you have access to the executive lounge you'll probably be just as happy there.  As it was included in our rate we made sure to enjoy the breakfast

We dined out each night at various amazing restaurants (post to come on that later) but did have a chance to check out the JW Steakhouse for lunch.  While certainly not the least expensive option we did enjoy our meal a great deal.  I cannot comment on their dinner options but if lunch was any indication I'm sure dinner would be quite nice.

Here is the JW Steakhouse bar.  There is also a nice seating area outside on Park Lane.

IMG_0102.JPG

The dining room is very nice, can get a bit loud during breakfast but you can see some of their menu on the back wall

IMG_0101.JPG

I ordered a Ruben sandwich with some fries.  I was expecting your standard sandwich and fries portions, instead they brought a big bowl of fries and 3 "halves" of a sandwich, then for good measure a small salad was brought out.  Needless to say I wasn't hungry after lunch and barely touched the fries and salad after the sandwich.  It was quite good and not greasy as Rubens can be sometimes.  My boss got the club sandwich and had the same portion sizes.  I swapped him a "half" for his club.  It was very good as well, so I can honestly recommend either if you have the chance.  Here's what my sandwich looked like. 

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPGIMG_0107.JPG

And I would be crazy if I didn't mention these amazing rolls.  They were really good and crusted with sea salt....amazing.

IMG_0108.JPG

The one different bit here from other hotels was the keys.  This property actually has keys.  They are RF instead of traditional keys but pretty cool. 

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

All in all it was a great hotel and great stay.  I now have a choice for sure when I'm in London.  I will say there are certainly some great dining options within a short walk from this property, which is a nice option.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
  • Re: A review of the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

And if I'm honest, the suite was fantastic but if you get to pick your room, perhaps ask for one with a little better view

IMG_0120 (1).JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

zukracer,

That is a fantastic report with pictures on a wonderful hotel!! 

Thanks for all of your hard work, in sharing this with all of us!

This was the first, and only, hotel Iv'e stayed at, were the front desk person, checked me in, and walked me to my room.  This is quite a complex, and it was really professional.

IMG_0221.JPG

The Audley, is a wonderful pub to enjoy a casual meal and refreshments within a block of the hotel!

Wonderful information!

Hey Jerry, it was a grand trip and adventure.  Did you ever get to this place just 2 blocks down?  Food was quite good, though not the cheapest lunch in town IMG_0027.JPG

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

zukracer,

No, never made it here, but thanks for the suggestion!

If you are on an expense account and your boss wants something special, just take a short walk South to:

IMG_3808.JPG

The Dorchester, this place is elegant and the food is wonderful!  Alaine Ducasse!

IMG_3809.JPG

The Dorchester is wonderful, but try The Ritz, it's one of the best!

Enjoy, my friend, and will look forward to another "Get-Together"!

erc Platinum

zukracer

Terrific write up. This is what Insiders is all about, way to go. Thanks for sharing what looked like a wonderful experience. Man, who needs dinner after a lunch like that! Were you guys able to get any work done in the afternoon? I think even I, multi-meal man, would have been in a stupor . That sandwich made me thirsty just looking at it. I think I'm going to go finish off my last bejacob Dark Horse beer while I watch the evening college games.

Great time to travel as well with the relative strength of the dollar vs. the pound. How did you guys work out the three colleagues, two Lounge privileges? Did you alternate or did they have names and check ID?

Keep on keepin' on zuk. Great work.

erc,

Thanks!  It was a big meal for sure but I probably could have submitted those fries and salad pix as "after" ones.  I did manage to get all 3 halves down though   The one thing about my boss is he loves to eat and eat well.  The down side to that is he prefers to eat later in the evening, like 9-10pm so most nights it was midnight-1am by the time we finished with after dinner drinks.  Some of the places we enjoyed this week were Kenza, Sofra, Veeraswamy and the Bombay Brasserie.  This was the closest thing to a "normal" lunch I had all week so I quite enjoyed it LOL.  Don't get me wrong the other places were amazingly good but far from my day to day bouncing around the US.

I'll do a little write up on the food spots tomorrow or monday.  its 230am here in London and I have to be in the lobby around 7am to head to LHR.  good times

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

YYes, I remember the. JW, very nice place, always upgrades elites, small exec lounge, but well stocked. Nice to see theyve increased its size, just gotta hope I get a case that leads to a JW expense account again!

proelite Platinum 1 Reviews

I loved staying at the JW. They call the Concierge Lounge and Executive lounge in the UK. They have certainly renovated the lounge to have a modern but classy ambiance! good that you put a photo of the entrance because the taxi took me to the other Marriott first, so make sure you  ask for the JW. See more at http://www.elitepro-travel.com/2014/12/london-club-enhancements.html

dmollner Platinum

I saw your review before my stay and was actually excited for my two week stay.  But......

Maybe something changed after the first of the year.  My experience some good but mostly not!

I had an experience that I would put on par with a 2 or 3 star hotel in regards to service and needs.

Yes the lounge was nice and I was allowed to take items out just no glass past the door.(although it took about 10 days for them to tell me no glass out the door.)

The JW Steakhouse was great and the service was fantastic.  I was only over told about the breakfast in the executive lounge until 3 days before my departure that breakfast at JW Steakhouse was complimentary for me.  I finally got to experience it my last morning there and was 10 times better then the lounge breakfast.

Major problems with housekeeping for the entire 2 weeks.  My bed felt like it was 20 years old and was not the normal JW style mattress but a standard european style mattress.  They stated they were in the process of updating the beds and would work on mine.  I think the only thing they did was put wood between the mattress and box spring. Making requests and getting no response or resolution for 2 days and having to make another appearance to get it taken care of.

Last year I stayed at the St Ermins for the same amount of time and was taken care of better with a lower status level then I was this time at the JW.

sgreene Platinum

Has anyone else had upgrade challenges, using points, at this hotel? Prior to using the mobile check in this morning, I checked the number of suites that were available for the length of our stay. The Marriott reservation site indicated that an Executive Suites, Park View Suite, Premium Park Suite & Royal Suite were all  available.

When I required about the upgrade through the mobile app the Associate indicated that they had the potential of selling out and the upgrade was not available.   The associate was very helpful and escalated our request to the Client Manager.

I haven't been able to connect with the management team yet so I am hopeful Marriott will do the right thing. The Royal Suite looks lovely.

Stay tuned for an updated review!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...