11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2014 10:23 AM by bpelican RSS

Children in Ritz Carlton Club Lounge - what do you think?

bcalman Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We were at the Ritz Carlton Club Level, working in our room, when we were interrupted by a VERY loud youngster in the club lounge across the hall from us. The noise continued for approximately 10 minutes (running feet, yelling). I'm no scrooge and this was 3pm but I'm WORKING here and the noise was driving me to distraction.

What would you do?

We tried the direct approach which was open the door and say to the father (politely) "We are trying to work here, could you please control your child or take him back to your room?" Which resulted in a response of "He's 3 year old, 17 days... what the hell do you expect me to do?" Our answer (again, no raised voice) "Control your child." Which resulted in yelling of "He's 3 years old, 17 days!!!" As though that was justification for anything.

What are the thoughts with this group? The RC-Club is normally about $200/night surcharge, which we normally happily pay for the service, food, quiet, etc. These children were no "unaccompanied" but "unsupervised".

We solved the problem by asking to be moved to a room no where near the club lounge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Children in Ritz Carlton Club Lounge - what do you think?
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IMO you handled it perfectly. You were polite but direct, stated what you wanted, and confronted the actual person who could help the situation rather than a hotel employee or lounge attendant who really can't make the behavior stop. The result unfortunately wasn't what you or I would have wanted but a decent percentage of parents have no idea what it means to keep their child in check when in a public space. You did the right thing, and unfortunately the person you spoke to was the typical "they are a kid what do you want from me" response, and no matter how polite and clear in your request they have no idea how to act so they simply get mad.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

While I agree that many of today's parents (and children) are oblivious to how to properly behave in a public setting (the entitlement mentality of I can do whatever I want...); I think the word "control" possibly sparked a "confrontation".  My wife and I typically ask if the noise level could be reduced a little as we are ... (fill-in the blank - working, resting, etc.).  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  I think it is an extreme to say no children on Club Level as there are responsible parents that teach respect and manners and "indoor voices" to their kids.  I know that when my kids were younger they certainly were well behaved and utilized appropriate noise levels to fit the environment.

I think if the parent will not monitor their children's actions after asking politely a few times, it is time to contact the concierge...  Just my opinion....

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

For the price you are paying you are ENTITLED to quiet if you want it. 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

You definitely handled the situation as well as you good, bcalman.  You should have expectations in any property for basic civility.  I would have been tempted to respond to the father when he excused the child's behavior because he was only three "but you're not!."  But, obviously, that would have exacerbated the situation.  IMO your response was totally appropriate.  Sorry, you had to put up with this inconvenience.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Noisy (crying, screaming - as in tantrum or fit, loud chatter, squealing, or even running around) children are not tolerated in church services, movie theaters or restaurants.  I don't understand then why some parents think that the same behavior or noise levels should be tolerated by other paying guests in a Lounge, especially a classy one at an expensive hotel.

When I have stayed at a hotel with my adult children (hosted them, actually) and their toddler children, I forbade them from bringing their children into the lounge (my money, my rules. )  We just stayed with the gkids in the room in shifts.  I probably sound like a hard butt, but at some point the kids will be trained enough to behave appropriately in public spaces.  It's not like the parents will never get to enjoy nice things ever again (and I do remember how exhausting parenting little ones is).  It's just for a season.

(I also don't understand why some adults think it's okay to converse in a loud voice in a lounge either.  Like what they have to say is so important or clever that the entire lounge must hear it.)

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

I agree with your views totally...I find some parents today are more than willing to allow their children to misbehave in public because it is far easier than actually providing rules or guidance.  An unfortunate situation also exists with adults who talk loudly on their cell phones in the CL, or others that bring in clients and go over the top with the loud conversation for all to hear.

I have brought both grand nieces and nephews into the lounge....it is a very special experience for both of us, but the rule is as soon as there is a hint of a behaviour issue(and there has not) then it is back to the room, no counting to 3 no threats of losing privileges etc.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

We always brought our 3 kids to the concierge lounge with no problems.  As much as we sometimes think we know more about how raise somebody else's kids than they do and would like to tell them so as it sounds as though bcalman did, they did pay their money to be there too.  I have found more adult behavior in the lounge that I didn't like than kids.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Words from the wise, pluto77.  Thanks for your very relevant post.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

It has become obvious from the responses on here that MRIs deplore bad behaviour in children, and point the finger of blame at the parents/guardians.  I totally agree.

Personally I do not think a CL is usually a suitable place for youngsters.  But then, when I was at WIQ last year, I saw the opposite.  There was a Chinese couple with their daughter, who was about 5, in the CL.  The daughter sat patiently at the table whilst her parents got breakfast for the 3 of them.  They brought her back cerial etc and she sat and ate it whilst talking nicely to her parents.  The parents then went and got her egg, then toast.  Each time she sat and waited as good as gold.  That evening, the 3 of them were in the CL again.  The parents had a beer and a glass of wine.  The daughter had a soft drink, and the parents had given her a bowl of popcorn from the jar that is always available in the CL.  Again she was really good.  She chattered to her parents, but in a manner that disturbed no-one. 

I was impressed - but more with the parents who were raising their daughter in such a way that they could take her anywhere without disturbing other people.

On the subject of noisy children in corridors, I experienced the same in France once.  The two rooms next to me were occupied by one large family.  There were kids/early teens running up and down the corridor, making one hell of a noise, and no adult attempted to stop them.  I asked them to stop.  I was ignored.  So I rang the front desk.  Within 2 minutes the manager arrived, fortunately at a time that the kids were making a noise.  He knocked on the adults door, and told them - very loudly so that I could hear next door - that if the noise didn't stop immediately he would insist they all left the hotel.  It all went quiet!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I feel the need to clarify that the intent of my post was not to express deplorement of 'bad behaviour in children, and point the finger of blame at the parents/guardians.'  My post was in reference to the behavior of infants and toddlers, ranging in age from zero to '3 years old and 17 days.'   Children that age are not yet capable of understanding or applying appropriate behavior (at least not for very long) for the places I referenced.  Without developed oral language skills, the primary means of communication/expression for baby or child under age of about 1.5 is that of fussing or crying.  3 year olds are still learning language expression, social skills, self-control, how to appropriately express needs and desires, even what it means to whisper.  Additionally, little children can sometimes throw real tantrums and be real tyrants (why they call it the 'terrible twos').  They have endless energy and are exhausting to parents.  I never want to judge a parent for the behavior of their small children.  Small children being predisposed then to their own age appropriate behavior, I was just opining that there are certain places (in a social context) where they and their age appropriate behavior - more often than not - don't belong, the CL being one of them.  I'm not saying that I think they should not be allowed in the CL at all, I'm just opining that once the age-appropriate-yet-lounge-inappropriate behavior starts, it's time to remove them out of courtesy to others.

And why my response to having "He's 3 years old and 17 days!!!" yelled at me would've probably been, "Exactly why you need to remove him from the lounge, Sir (and perhaps take him to the park )."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...