21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2014 4:24 PM by mnmom1 RSS

Why haven't Elite Nights for VISA spending updated since September?

suedonj Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

This is a problem in my marriott.com account but according to a thread on flyertalk.com I'm not alone.  Has it been reported as a system error?

For all of us the issue appears to be the same - the September update was correct; Marriott Rewards Points were posted and then 1-2 days later the Elite Night total was updated.  For October and now November, the MRP's have posted but the Elite Nights remain the same as they were posted back in September.

I called the Plat Customer Service line last month and was told to "give it a few days to see if it updates."  I'd call again except that over on flyertalk folks are saying that they're being told to call Chase.  Can you please look into this and at least make sure that the number/person we're being told to call is prepared to deal with the issue?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why haven't Elite Nights for VISA spending updated since September?
    erc Platinum

I doubt if there is a person prepared to "deal with the issue". Although I'm certainly open to hearing otherwise, I would imagine the answer the community manager gets upon researching, is something along the lines of "I.T. is aware of it and is working on it, expecting to resolve it soon". These frustrating posting issues (of nights, points, or web site issues) seem to come and go about every quarter.

We'll see how the FlyerTalk written inquiry to Chase makes out.

Aron via NathalieF

Credit Card Nights Not Posting? 

This is what I was discussing at our Insiders Get Together at the Mayflower, about the weakness of the search function and more specifically the More Like This orange column over there to the right. dgreen12 (who is tracking this with Chase as well) inquired about the exact same issue only two days ago, yet it doesn't show in the More Like This column. Just an FYI

Also, since we're on the mode of 'improving Insiders' (as you wrote in the Pulse post). Since Insiders will no longer be posting reviews on newer properties, will Marriott be removing them from the threads and just placing them into reviews? It seems like there wouldn't be a need to clog up the Activity thread with reviews (which are, now that it's gone public, leaning more and more to 'unknown' Guests)?  thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

suedonj Platinum

Sorry, I didn't realize that a related thread existed (good point about the relative strength of the "More Like This" function.)  If the mods want to merge the threads that's fine by me.

erc Platinum

suedonj

Feel free to move my "Helpful Answer" to "Correct Answer" (not that it was hard to predict )

Erc - I doubt if there is a person prepared to "deal with the issue". Although I'm certainly open to hearing otherwise, I would imagine the answer the community manager gets upon researching, is something along the lines of "I.T. is aware of it and is working on it, expecting to resolve it soon".

joshm - formal answer from The Greater Team -  "We contacted the credit card team with your post in mind! "They seem to have identified the issue and are currently working to implement a fix".

Although, perhaps I was a bit aggressive in my prediction of a resolution .

dgreen12 Platinum

Chase is pinning this one on Marriott:

2 Elite Night Credits were transferred to Marriott

Rewards® on 11/06/2014.

And, of course, they haven't posted yet.  But then again, my most recent stay (more than 10 days ago) hasn't posted either.

Glad to hear the IT department is aware of the issue.  Too bad that they couldn't have posted something here proactively.

suedonj Platinum

Actually that's why I (and I'm assuming, dgreen12) posted here, to make sure that they're made aware of the issue.  IME once the correct reps are made aware of specific IT problems the fix isn't far behind.  I'm okay with their response so far, wasn't expecting an immediate fix because there are so many reporting the problem. 

erc Platinum

I agree, all we can really do is to make certain that the problem is recognized (although, like you say there are many people reporting, some for several months). This is where the Insiders moderation team contributes real value to the forum - they track down the issues.

My response was meant to be more tongue in cheek, than cheeky. However once you observe how this has become a pattern; posting of nights, hotel points, lifetime points, 'make good' points, credits, sign ins, etc etc you may not be so optimistic in the future.

suedonj Platinum

I've been with MR for years now and this is the first time coming up against an IT issue where things are not working the way they are supposed to (as opposed to, all the different ways that I would like them to. )  I don't think that more time with it is going to change things as far as me getting all hot and bothered over Marriott not responding to problems when I don't know if they're aware the problems exist.  It's a matter of finding the most direct way to tell them and these days, this forum is the go-to medium.  Knowing that, it makes no sense to get all hot and bothered that Marriott didn't respond to the chatter on other sites (TUG, flyertalk, etc.)  And I was one of the chatters who could have taken this route - but didn't - a month ago when the problem first surfaced.

I do wonder why dgreen12's inquiry here a few days before mine didn't get the ball rolling, though.  If this is the only social media site through which Marriott is going to "officially" make themselves accessible, then being on the lookout for and responding immediately to "Something Is Not Working The Way It Is Supposed To Be Working" posts here should be their priority.  Even if the response is only to say, "we'll get back to you."

erc Platinum

I think it flew under the radar since it was a weekend (less moderators) and no one was specifically tagged (as opposed to your thread). These guys are very responsive (when they see the posts) and it's music to NathalieF's ears when you accurately state that this forum is becoming the Go-To medium.

As far as your good fortune with I.T. issues, that's great, I'm somewhat envious. I just had another example of a stay that had charges where points weren't granted. Yet Marriott Rewards had record of the invoice and the charges, so it wasn't that the hotel didn't report them, as they often forget with the Plat 500 check in bonus, (which also requires a follow up call) - and they were restaurant charges at a full service Marriott, so they were supposed to earn points. The Rewards Customer Service rep (very polite) stated, "wow, there must be a glitch, that's wrong" and posted the points (but it required a call as well as the vigilance to watch every line item).

I am a big fan of Marriott in general, but if a restaurant that serves great food keeps forgetting to provide silverware, after awhile it goes beyond being frustrating and crosses into irritating. Again, congrats on never having these issues before, may it remain that way. Hopefully I.T. or whoever will fix this nights posting glitch and we won't face a different issue in January.

suedonj Platinum

That's what I've been told a number of times, erc that I've been lucky so far.  Maybe that's changing because Chase just responded to my inquiry there and they're telling me that my account is correct according to them and Marriott.  <thud>

The specified item was not found. or NathalieF can I please send a copy of my correspondence with Chase to you directly or can you give me the correct rep's contact info, before I end up banging  my head on the desk repeatedly?  Thanks!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

suedonj - of course, you can send it directly to me, and I'll route it directly to the credit card team. I do know it's a problem that is actively being worked on (not yet resolved), so at this time I'm not surprised that Chase is saying your account is correct.

suedonj Platinum

Thank you, I've sent a message.  What surprises me is that Chase didn't acknowledge a problem, they said they've, "... verified directly with Marriott Rewards that all Elite Night credits earned ... have posted. ..."  Anyway, thanks for the help.

spgbus Platinum

My CC points were also missing in my MR account since CC statement was closed on 11/11. Could it be caused by the same I/T issue?

dgreen12 Platinum

Me thinks that they need to be more responsive by reading posts as opposed to having to be tagged inside of posts.

This Platinum is feeling ignored.

erc Platinum

dgreen12

Your statement has credibility behind it, because unlike several folks who write in (often for the first time) with a complaint or a question that has been asked 15 times before and are never heard from again (often after getting an answer), you didn't whine, you actually kept working toward solving the problem - posting on FT, writing Chase, and most importantly staying engaged and sharing your progress with the rest of us.

Not to put words in the NathalieF's mouth (she'll no doubt respond for herself), but the idea of responding to each issue, even if it's initially like suedonj writes above, just to say, "we'll get back to you" was a topic the CM addressed at the Insider Get Together at the Mayflower - so I know it's high on her list of priorities.

This thread (especially repetitive frustrations such as our friends in I.T. often provide us) highlights the importance we all put behind getting a response, even if (as is frequently the case) it's an answer not to our advantage (after all the moderation team only communicates policy, not set it - which of course is why it's vital to communicate effectively and promptly). The good news, they have gotten very, very good at doing just that. The challenge, which is a good one to have; if Insiders forum is truly going to become the Go To Medium (which I'm confident is a goal of the CM) then it has to play at the highest level, because once we come to expect excellence, anything short is a disappointment.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

I'm sorry that you're feeling ignored dgreen12! That was never my intention. The moderation team and I do our best to get to issues and questions chronologically, however this was a glaring problem that we picked up, and suddenly this thread was the primary discussion on the topic.

I don't want you and all other Insiders to feel like if you post an issue over the weekend it will be overlooked - this certainly isn't the case.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If it's the same hotel that I'm thinking of, I had the exact same issue my recent stay, not receiving points for the restaurant spend.  Also the same issue with a property in DC (although the DC property was a paid stay, whereas the other property was a points stay, and no it wasn't the Mayflower).  Unlike you however, the associate on the other end of the phone line greeted me in a tone of voice (which lasted the duration of the phone call) like he wanted to murder me (did he just get off the phone with the IRS?  served divorce papers?  denied insurance?  did 'dem 'dam democrats take his gun away?  Oh - wait... )  I was almost afraid to tell him my issue.    We both got through it alive, he did his job - confirmed and granted the points, but - WOW.  I hope I never get him again.  That was a Marriott C/S first for me (and hopefully a last.)

(End of digression. )

suedonj Platinum

My account updated overnight.  CM or Josh, can you confirm that the IT issue has been corrected throughout the system?  Thanks!

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

My account still has not updated.  I also received a promotional email from Marriott today showing me how many bonus points and nights I have earned this year - which is also off by about 60 days - completely defeating the impact of the promotional message.

What a joke that Marriott cannot fix this.  It shows a huge lack of respect towards its best customers that they are not making this correction/fix a priority.

At this point, I am starting to think that they are doing this on purpose and lying to us - for some twisted reason.  They are either lying or ignorant, either way - it's pathetic.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

my nights have added fine. the promotional email was dated as of 11/17/14.

mnmom1 Silver

My spending has not been updated in two weeks.  As of today.  Guess this is not nearly as problematic as some of you are facing, but still.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...