1 2 3 13 Previous Next 194 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2016 4:18 PM by monisame RSS

The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm sat in a Marriott Exec lounge on 13th November 2014 enjoying the food and (especially) the free beer and thought it would be a good idea to start a resource about lounges, confident in the fact that being Flyertalks much smaller brother, it shouldn't become too unwieldy.

NB- After 2 years this thread has accumulated a lot of reviews, most from me acting as your resident lounge lizard, but a significant contribution has been made from others for which I thank you all! Although this thread looks daunting if you look at the bottom of this post is contains a list of almost all the properties reviewed here, by looking at the number of pages you should be able to make a decent estimate of where you'll find your review. A few contributors haven't tagged their contributions for which I apologise, but as things currently stand, looking at the list at the bottom of this post remains the fastest way to estimate the location of the lounge review you want...

Guaranteed lounge access is a major driver of my loyalty and I know this is the case for many of us here. The more info we have about the lounges the better our choices can be. I think this is especially important now that reviews have been removed from this site which has deprived me of my most trusted source of hotel info.

I'm asking all responders to make the hotel bold for easy reading and include useful info and photos. My set-up for each review is for my ease, I hope everyone who reviews a lounge does so in whatever way they feel comfortable.

Finally, please give the lounge a grading indicating whether its "Poor"(1/5)"OK"(2/5)"Good"(3/5)"Great"(4/5) or "Fabulous" (5/5).

Message was edited by: brightlybob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
Moscow, Russian Federation Marriott Hotels & Resorts Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel
Leicester, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Leicester Marriott Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Kensington
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Cardiff Marriott Hotel
Leeds, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Leeds Marriott Hotel
Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott Hotels & Resorts Copenhagen Marriott Hotel
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Edinburgh Marriott Hotel
Hounslow, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ottawa Marriott Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Toronto, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater
Tampa, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Tampa Airport Marriott
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Monterey, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Monterey Marriott
Slough, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Miami Beach, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Stanton South Beach
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel West India Quay
Montreal, Quebec, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Warsaw, Poland Marriott Hotels & Resorts Warsaw Marriott Hotel
Richmond, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Richmond Marriott
Park City, Utah, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Park City Marriott
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
San Antonio, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Plaza San Antonio
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA Autograph Collection The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Houston, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Houston Marriott North
Denver, Colorado, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Denver Downtown City Center Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Hotels & Resorts Budapest Marriott Hotel
Hong Kong, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Minneapolis Marriott West
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Regents Park
  • 1. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Where are you, Bob? ....................................Marriott Philadelphia Downtown

And what's the lounge like? A good size with plenty of tables, top of the hotel. Not busy but I get the feeling it could struggle when there's a big conference.

Hows the evening food? Plenty, with lots of choice.

Any free alcohol? No, BOOOO!!! Does offer a (pretty expensive) honour bar, though...

Whats the hours? Breakfast and evening, Evening service 5:30-9:30. Open till midnight.

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? I'm afraid they're being horrid "double meanies" as not only is the lounge closed at weekends but this is one of only a dozen Marriotts worldwide that's been given exemption from the 7-day breakfast rule, instead shouting "let them eat points" and awarding 1,000 bonus points in lieu of Saturday and Sunday breakfasts. It's not as bad as it could be mind, try the awesome Reading Terminal Market next door instead.

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? Monday-Friday Exec lounge breakfast is very good and really wide ranging. This place may close at weekends, but when it's open, the food is good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upgrades? Apparently, standard double-double upgraded to concierge floor double-double, 2 floors below concierge level! Still it's a high floor and the rooms are a good size.

Comments... I'm afraid the "weekend closure, no free booze, no weekend breakfast" rules really means this should be marked down as "poor" (how can a closed lounge that refuses the 7-day breakfast rule expect anything else?) but recovers some ground due to its strong breakfast and evening food. If it's open when you're there, then it's GREAT (free alcohol would make it fabulous), but taking into account the aforementioned...

SO, I'm sat in the Exec lounge at Marriott Philadelphia Downtown and its OK.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
  • 2. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob,

Great idea!

Here's information on County Hall Marriott London:

Lounge: Morning, first floor, 6-9 AM, Nice set up, and would rate a 5!SANY0387.JPG

Kate, is a most professional staff member, who is so helpful at breakfast!

Evening food:  Excellent!  The 4th floor CL is small, but the food and service are excellent.  Good food, comped beer, red & white available!

IMG_2169.JPG

Comfortable place!  Have enjoyed times with sg1974, met zukracer there, and enjoyed an evening with others there.  Very nice, but you will want to get there when it opens for food/drinks, or you may not get a seat.

Week-ends:  Open

Gold/Platinum/Upgrades:  Comped breakfast! 

Enjoy this fine hotel!

Location Brand Hotel
    London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • 3. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Where are you, Bob? ..................................Renaissance London St Pancras

And what's the lounge like? (ONLY OPEN TO PLATS, NOT GOLD) Totally awesome, looks like a classic English Gentlemans club

Hows the evening food? The best, with hot options and a wide assortment of cheeses and cold Hors D'oeuvres followed by excellent desserts. Best lounge I've ever sampled

Any free alcohol? Yes. 2 craft beers and a couple of wines, served to you by hard working staff, but you can help yourself! The free beer/wine is served midday to midnight. Don't mind if I do, hic!

Whats the hours? Breakfast, afternoon tea and evening, this place is a constant smorgasborg of food and manned constantly from 6am to midnight.

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? Nope, wonderful people, breakfast afternoon tea and evening offerings 7 days/week here!

How about Plat breakfast? You can take it either in the lounge or full breakfast in the restaurant.

Upgrades? Yes, standard Barlow upgraded to premium King Barlow. There are 36 rooms in the Chambers Wing  which if purchased give lounge access, but only Plat Premiers stand a chance of being upgraded to them. Even so, the Barlow rooms here are a good size. That's a good thing here as the base rooms in London are pretty small.

Additional. GOLD benefits are drink vouchers for the bar and free full breakfast. Also Plats staying here using the Eurostar trains to the continent qualify for the free concierge transfer to the Eurostar train, advise the concierge in the exec lounge on arrival at hotel (for next day departures) and then simply turn up to the exec lounge 30 mins before departure where your luggage will be collected from your room and the concierge will accompany you taking your luggage through the fast checkin and passport and to your carriage. What a start!

SO... I'm sat in the Exec lounge at Renaissance London St Pancras and its Fabulous! (6/5!!!)

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
  • 4. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

This is a bit of a cheat as its 6 months since I've been here, but if I don't do it now, I suspect it could be a long time before its done...

Where are you, Bob? .................................Marriott Moscow Royal Aurora

And what's the lounge like? Large, smoking area at one end, windowless, but careful lighting gives it a nice atmosphere, not busy but by no means deserted.

Hows the evening food? Pretty dang good, a couple of hot options and rice followed by a good dessert selection means you can make a meal of it here.

Any free alcohol? Yes. Beer and wine on request, served to table. Helpful staff mean waits are short.

Whats the hours? Breakfast and evening, Evening service 17:00-22:00. Open for soft drinks and coffee machine 24/7.

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? Nope, nice people, breakfast and evening offerings 7 days/week here!

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? What a good idea, I'm feeling a bit peckish. You can take it either in the lounge or full breakfast in the restaurant.

Upgrades? Absolutely, points room (base) upgraded to concierge level King. Central Moscow hotels are horrifically expensive meaning this is a great place to burn your points.

Comments... This lounge has it all, good size, great food, lots of choice, brekkie in lounge or restsurant, long evening hours, open weekends and free booze. It's a slam-dunk!

SO... I'm sat in the Exec lounge at the Moscow Marriott Aurora and its Fabulous

Location Brand Hotel
    Moscow, Russian Federation Marriott Hotels & Resorts Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel
  • 5. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

brightlybob,

This is a very helpful post!

Thanks for sharing, and keep it coming.

• 6. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Oops - deleted what I wrote because BrightlyBob, that smart feller, already provided the info I need for the exec lounge sticky.  Thanks!

MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums

• 7. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

WOW, Im envious, enjoy...you probably deserve it!!!, great pics too....

• 8. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Where are you, Bob? ....................................Leicester Marriott

And what's the lounge like? Nicely done, no overcrowding here, on the first floor with a dozen tables.

Hows the evening food? Not too bad on the hot plates, mini pizza slices and a satay chicken skewers, but the cold is uninspiring.

Any free alcohol? Yes. Plenty of iced Stella with a bottle of red and white, Help yourself! Don't mind if I do, hic!

Whats the hours? Breakfast and evening, Evening service 5:30-7:30. These minimal hours are pretty strictly adhered to. Open for soft drinks and coffee machine 24/7.

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? I'm afraid they are, just soft drinks, coffee machine, shortbread and nuts at the weekend.

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? Once again, it's a pretty minimal offering, sausages/bacon and scrambled eggs, sliced bread, a couple of cereals, some fruit and a couple of cold meats. The lounge breakfast here pales by comparison to every other lounge I've been to. Weekend breakfast is however full buffet in the restaurant, and that's excellent.

Upgrades? Not really, though that's due to the design of the hotel. All rooms are very big by European standards, and all are the same size. The supposedly executive rooms have a dressing gown!

Comments... Scanty evening offerings and little breakfast choice, with no service at weekends, it would seem this hotel is doing the minimum. The only ray of sunshine is the free beer and wine, it's a pity it's only a couple of hours, even so, the free booze manages to lift it above the bottom grade.

SO... I'm sat in the Exec lounge at the Leicester Marriott and its OK

Location Brand Hotel
    Leicester, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Leicester Marriott Hotel
  • 9. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Thanks for the info brightlybob.  Mind you, Leicester is not somewhere I have ever been, or wanted to go, except for when I was on business!

• 10. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

have you ever  been to glasgow on the weekends they have nothing friday saturday no free beer no food but still charge people for a room with lounge access

• 11. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Where are you, Bob? ....................................Marriott London Kensington

And what's the lounge like? Nicely done, but a bit on the small side, windowless, with a dozen tables. Busy, all tables occupied by 18:30.

Hows the evening food? Pretty dang good, Hot wings and a veggie hot thingy, and an assortment of cold Hors D'Ouvres, varied on replenishment the lounge seemed to be using the food to showcase its restaurant. Nice idea!

Any free alcohol? Yes. Plenty of iced Bud with a couple of bottles of red and white, Help yourself! Don't mind if I do, hic!

Whats the hours? Breakfast and evening, Evening service 5:30-9:30. Open for soft drinks and coffee machine 24/7.

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? Nope, nice people, breakfast and evening offerings 7 days/week here!

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? What a good idea, I'm feeling a bit peckish. You can take it either in the lounge or full breakfast in the restaurant.

Upgrades? Absolutely, standard double upgraded to King. That's a good thing here as the base rooms in London are pretty small.

SO... I'm sat in the Exec lounge at Marriott London Kensington and its Fabulous

Location Brand Hotel
    London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Kensington
  • 12. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread
    doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

edinburgh is the best one marriott have and  thankfully i will be back there next week

• 13. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

doddsy69,

Thanks for the information!  Can you provide more details or pictures next week?

Have a wonderful trip!

• 14. Re: The "I'm sat in the Exec Lounge right now, and it's..." Thread

Where are you, Bob? ...................................Cardiff Marriott

And what's the lounge like? Nicely done, no overcrowding here, on the eighth floor with a enough seating, I've never seen any overcrowding here.

image.jpeg

Hows the evening food? This is very good on the food offerings with breakfast, afternoon tea as well as evening offerings. Evening food is a wide choice of cold dishes, 2 hots and 2 desserts, replenished when required. It's a good spread.

Any free alcohol? Yes. Plenty of bottled beer and cider in the fridge with red, rose and white wine also on offer. Long hours too, 17:30-21:30. Help yourself! Don't mind if I do, hic!

Whats the hours? Breakfast, afternoon and evening. Open for soft drinks and coffee machine 6am to midnight. See below for service hours:

image.jpeg

I see Afternoon Tea. Whats that like? Definitely not worth waiting in for! 9 small finger cakes left out at the end of the lounge. Make your own tea at the machine. The cakes are tasty though

image.jpeg

And are they being meanies and closing the lounge at weekends? Absolutely not, open 7 days per week, nice people.

How about Gold/Plat breakfast? It's a good breakfast with small hot selection of bacon and scrambled egg and wide selection of continental options, sliced bread, cereals, and bakery items. The lounge breakfast here is above average, a good morning fill-up.

Upgrades? I've stayed here several times and always been upgraded to an exec room, though I suspect they're the same as the standard rooms, just on the 8th or 9th floor. Theyre a good size though.

Comments... Morning, afternoon and evening offerings with 7-day per week food and 4 hours of free beer/wine daily make this a very strong lounge indeed.

SO... I'm sat in the Exec lounge at the Cardiff Marriott and its Fabulous

Location Brand Hotel
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Cardiff Marriott Hotel
1 2 3 13 Previous Next