2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2014 2:18 AM by tommo781 RSS

Details, details ... pet peeves...  or just a grumpy old man?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While enjoying the expansive (or should I say "commanding") view from the breakfast room at a New York Residence Inn (a hotel I enjoy and have stayed at a number of times), it dawns on me that I started the morning thinking like a grumpy old man....  Before 8:00, I was asking myself what they're teaching the next generation of hotel managers at Cornell these days?  Here were my top four early morning gripes - all of which seem easily avoidable....

• A week after the clocks were set back, my automated wake-up call came an hour early.  (Yes, I should have known better!!! Last week - at the same hotel - I intentionally called the front desk rather than use the automated system because I was afraid this might happen - and it happened anyway.  To be clear - twice, in an 8-day period, this hotel woke me up an hour early!!!)
  • My reservation was for three people in the suite, I requested extra towels, and the room had extra towels.  Why then did the room have only a single (extremely small) container of shampoo?  (I know, I know - I should have noticed and dealt with this BEFORE I went to sleep, but....)
  • The rooms at this Rez Inn are spacious and comfortable.  There is a full bath tub and toilet in a separate room with a door (which is great - because you can use the toilet without turning on the light in the master bedroom).  But there is only a single (modest) towel rack above the toilet.  So - what are you supposed to do with your (large, excellent) towels after you shower?  No hook on the door.... no hook on the wall behind the door...  Anyway, it's impossible to be environmentally friendly and reuse (three) bath towels when you have to throw them on the floor after you use them....
  • No luggage rack....  Alas...

What say you?  Have I become a grumpy old man, or are these - and too many other  - easily corrected little things that kind of things that make you crazy?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Rochelle, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New Rochelle
  • Re: Details, details ... pet peeves...  or just a grumpy old man?
    erc Platinum

Your question may not have mutually exclusive answers .

All your points are valid, and as you yourself stated, two were possibly avoidable, but required effort on your part that shouldn't have been necessary, but which more and more have become the norm.

The third issue is an irritant because you care - so, you make the call.

I have discovered that as I age and would run the risk of being grumpier, I still notice similar issues, but they have been downgraded from irritation to frustration (meaning, they don't pass without notice, but are written off with a "whaddaya goin' to do" attitude, rather than the healthier, more zenlike, "aah, such a trivial detail in the larger scale of life") .

Missed you at the Get Together (once again thinking it was you, calling Jay our tour guide - SSINDC, when he first showed up - and for a Chief of Security, probably not the best title to erroneously call him ).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Details, details ... pet peeves...  or just a grumpy old man?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

ssindc and erc.  here in the UK we used to have 2 very entertaining TV programmes.  One was called Grumpy Old Men, and the other - you guessed it - Grumpy Old Women.  They were brilliant programmes, and quite honestly personified myself and Mrs Tommo.