18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2014 8:40 AM by bpelican RSS

room preference

fladave Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello, I am wondering, I am a Platinum traveler who requests a high floor away from the elevator. It seems that they do not want give the top floor more times than not . Any ideas ???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: room preference
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've got the same preferences and even as a plat prem. they dont do it.  I also put it in the notes for the reservations for good measure.  When I check in I *always* ask where my room is and if its an upgrade.  If it's not on the top floor, my preference, I ask if the room is an upgrade.  If not I make them fix it.  When they haven't fixed it, I speak with hotel management about why it is they cannot seem to fulfill a simple request for to have a room blocked for a top tier customer.  Now mind you the request is only for location of the room, I do not demand upgrades but if I do get an upgrade on a lower floor I generally take the upgraded room.....when its actually an upgrade and not just a view of the pool

The sad reality is some properties are amazingly great at blocking rooms, reading preferences and doing their jobs well.  Others seemingly could give a rip as long as you pay for the room, they'll put you in a coat closet regardless of your status. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

fladave I totally agree with zukracer.  As you are platimum, your preference should be accommodated.  The only exception being an upgrade.  If the upgrade does not totally fit your preferences - so what.  Take it!

Our preference is for a high floor room.  At West India Quay in London recently, we were upgraded from a standard room to a Curve Suite (the top suites in the hotel).  It was on a lower floor.  Did we care about which floor it was on - ummmm - NO!  It was wonderful.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, nice Tommo781.

I remain a bit of a WIQ sceptic, all my stays there over the years have either led to no upgrade, or to a interior facing low floor "tower" room. The last stay was a 5th floor interior facing tower room. Since those rooms start at the 5th floor anyway, it was like being on the ground floor but having to wait for a lift. After several stays over the last decade, always at Gold or Plat I've never had a room with anything other than an interior view. Then there's the lounge, top-of-the-shop, great view but pretty average breakfast, and whenever I stayed, skimpy evening offerings and honesty bar.

I gave up on the place in 2012 and haven't stayed since.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

brightlybob Strange how we all have different opinions of particular hotels isn't it.  Usually based on personal experience.  We have never had an internal facing room, and twice have had an upgrade.  And we are not Platinum!  As to the lounge, we have always been happy with the lounge breakfast offering - although I would agree it is not special.  Also agreed, the evening lounge offerings are not huge, but if we have eaten a large meal at lunchtime, it suits us fine.  If we want more, we tend to go to the lounge bar, which we like very much.  I don't understand what you mean by honesty bar.  The only alcohol we have ever seen in the lounge is wine and beer between 17:30 and 21:30, and that is free.

Wouldn't do for us all to like the same and be clones would it.

I've had the same suite at the same hotel I believe, just under the exec lounge?

P1020716.JPG

P1020722.JPG

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

zukracer That's it!  There are about 6? I think.  All on the corner of the curve so they go to a point.  Now, don't go telling people we have slept in the same bed.  Tongues will wag!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I find my requests, quiet room, upper floor are granted virtually without exception, though like others, a meaningful upgrade may mean sacrificing that high-floor room...

cjkatl Platinum

And I would rather have the small room on a higher floor versus a suite on the first floor. For me, it's a safety issue.

Given different people have different outlooks, and we are limited to 45 characters for reservation messages, as I said below, it's always a good idea to call the hotel the afternoon before or morning of check-in and discuss your request before room assignments are made for the day.

erc Platinum

I agree with the other posters, we can usually get a high floor and another 'subtle' request, it's hard to get the entire package (and in the US, probably unrealistic attempting expecting). I go after high floor and usually a preferred side (often as learned from input from my fellow Insiders).

Top floor does appear to be another issue. I'm not too concerned about being at the highest floor (nor the Concierge floor for that matter - to me, too much foot traffic and hallway noise), but it must be a competitive request, because when I checked into the Marriott New York East Side the front desk associate was actually apologetic stating, "currently all we have is a room on the 29th floor" (the top lodging floor is 32nd and I hadn't asked for top floor) which suited me just fine.

In today's lodging game with all of us elites running around, that's why it's essential to know exactly what we want and in what rank (and like examples above, know what we are willing to trade off - size vs. height etc). I've actually seen rooms disappear while at the front desk (you snooze you lose). It would seem to me that you should/would be able to secure a high floor away from the elevator given your Platinum status, but adding the Top Floor criterion, may be just enough to push it outside the permutation chart, (perhaps a Top Floor room right next to the elevator ).

I agree about figuring out what bits are important so you can make a decision upon being given a selection.  The problem I have is that the profiles do not have all the various options folks might want.  Near the elevator or away.  Near or away from the stairs.  Near or away from the ice/vending machines.  High floor vs top floor vs low floor vs middle.  In some cases I've found in large hotels, for example the LHR Ren, saying not near the elevator could net you a 5-10min walk to get to your room, especially if you miss a turn ... so careful what you ask for sometimes

I think the move to mobile check in helps you find the "perfect" room given your booking class of room but unless you were previously upgraded you could be shooting yourself in the foot perhaps vs talking to the desk folks. 

For me a true upgrade in room will almost always trump the high floor option.  My biggest complaint in a hotel is noise, specifically over my head when people either keep odd hours, are particularly loud or worst yet you hear rhythmic noises....   I'm typically in a hotel room for 8hrs or less, generally speaking its closer to 6hrs so I do like to be able to get some rest and not deal with the "neighbors" as it were.   Hotel management can only do so much about things and if you get a person that just stomps when they walk what can be done?   All of that said, I have found that being on a concierge or executive floor or in a nicer room you have a higher chance to experience a more "business like" setting than a family fun free for all that you might find closer to the pool.  This all of course various by property so if you are looking for a quiet escape with no kids running around and fewer parties, you probably don't want to book the vacation club in Orlando

cjkatl Platinum

Maybe calling the hotel ahead of time would help. I do this to make sure they see my feather free room request. Since we are limited to 45 characters, you cannot get very specific with your reservation.

My profile also asks for a high floor, but I really just don't want to be on the first floor. Maybe there is some confusion about what "high floor" means, as what would fulfill my thought on that request is different than what would fulfill yours.

Earlier this year, I was at the Doral CY. They assigned me a first floor room right off the lobby. Clearly, that was not a high floor. The manager explained to me they gave me that room because most Plats want first floor rooms! So apparently, at some hotels, what the manager thinks you will want trumps what's in your profile. Or maybe just that hotel.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'm a high floor away from elevator guy and most times are accommodated.  We do like the top floor to eliminate foot traffic from above as some folks just seem to enjoy walking very heavy.  Should we get put near the elevator that will get a request to be moved and yes as Platinum Elite we should be given our requested room type.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

fladave

As a Platinum, you should be able to get your requests which are not unreasonable at all.  Keep in mind that many, if not all properties, use the front desk job as an entry level position.  Thus, many times, they are very inexperienced.  Make sure you remind these folks that you are Platinum and never take no from them.  Ask for a Supervisor/Manager.  Depending on their attitude, I've asked and talked to the General Manager.  However, many times, just asking for a Manager will miraculously result in a room on a high floor away from the elevator being available.  You deserve it.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

What should be on an individual hotel website is a floor plan of the rooms.  Then we would know what rooms were where etc.

I should have put that down when we were asked about the websites a couple of weeks ago.  Drat!!

Just looked again and found it.  So I've added the suggestion - not that it will do any good.

That's I very good idea, Tommo781.  Then we would be less likely to be snowed by some unknowledgeable desk clerk.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Having front desk experience for 3yrs I can tell you that we do try and accommodate every guest because no front desk agent wants an unhappy costumer yelling at them or making complains with costumer service. It is much easier to grant simple requests but there are times and this occurs much too often here in san jose and they whole bay area in which people come and stay from monday-Friday for business so they are assigned more desirable rooms since they are spending thousands with us, even more so if they are rewards members. If someone has a reservation for Wednesday only then there might not be as many rooms available and will assign the best room we have available. Just keep in mind how busy the hotel is, there are many more elite members and limited number of desirable rooms. I usually used to go off by the number of days staying or previous history/level of membership/amount paid for room.

If there were two elites with the same top floor request and only 1 available I would give it to the highest paying costumer.

We would wish that all front desk associates were like you, but too many times they are just too inexperienced and just don't know what proper customer service entails.

fladave Platinum 1 Reviews

I would like to thank you all with your experiences take care  fladave

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...