98 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2015 8:34 PM by aje5837 RSS

Marriott Rewards Insiders vs Marriott Pulse?

rkung Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I came across an online community panel launched in Asia Pacific called "Marriott Pulse" after reading about it, it sounded very similar to Marriot Rewards Insiders. Does anyone know much about this new community panel and why Marriott would need another website to collect customer opinions in addition to Facebook and Marriott Rewards Insiders?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Insiders vs Marriott Pulse?
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Interesting!  Here is a link to it.   Marriott Pulse (Online Community/Research Panel) | LoyaltyLobby

It says that it seems to be launched in Asia/Pacific where Marriott want more Rewards Members.  There are points involved in joining/contributing.  Mmmmmmmmmm???????  They get all our views and opinions here on Insiders for nothing.  I can see this causing a bit of contention, can't you?

But You Can Join Now!

I followed the links and tried to sign up.  When it got to "which country do you live in" there were pictures of 11 flags, all Asia/Pacific and a 12th for "other".  I ticked other and put United Kingdom.  I carried on, and got signed up - no problem.

I received a confirmation link and have filled in details of my travel etc.  Apparently I will now get 50 points for signing up, and another 50 for completing the survey.  I am also apparentlygoing to get invitations to fill in other surveys.

I am just waiting to see if the 100 points turn up now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Good stuff rkung and Tommo781 thanks for posting.

Any of you guys peeing in your pants about the 10 points for a CY badge would be crazy not to sign up and participate for the 1,000 plus points you can earn there (and please report back as our International correspondent).

Good move on Marriott's part, that's where the action is - Asia. They have every right (how do you feel now, European and American millennials, hurts doesn't it?). To counter that move, I have rescheduled my funeral reception (coming soon according to Marriott) from the JW to the Mandarin Oriental, that'll teach 'em.

Like a rowdy child in the Ritz Club Lounge, here are some other notes -

foxglove I saw you poke me over the rabble rousing - I wasn't rousing rabble, that was a love note to the community manager, I'd better see one of those 'gourdamentals' in my stocking this year

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for the shout out erc. Us moderators really enjoy getting to 'hang out' with all you brilliant Insiders. It's always great to hear the ideas, insights and travel stories you share with us!

Our team does rotate in and out- I know you don't see merb and ansaa as much as you used to. They still <3 you though! And The specified item was not found., KatieC and I are here regularly to make sure your questions are answered. Are there any specific threads you've noticed that are still waiting on a response from us? We definitely don't want to leave anyone hanging! Thanks in advance for your help!

Also, thanks for sharing this new platform with us, rkung! Very interesting stuff!

erc Platinum

Good to hear from you lindseyh. Naah, you know me, if I have a question, I stay on it until you guys dig up the answer, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/777739 which you always do - thanks.

There were a few questions a while back that caught my eye. One was on the elite benefits the Miami Edition would be offering, the other was on Marriott Vacation Clubs not allowing 27 year olds to buy timeshares (or to sit in presentations, something like that).

If I had a question today of you (since you made me look up <3, I was concerned you were calling me a ), it would be, Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

I'm here all day folks watching college football, be sure to tip your waittress .

But now back to our regularly scheduled program, the fact that rkung and Tommo781 pointed out that Marriott is handing out points (at a worthwhile level) for signing up on their new forum. Get 'em while you can!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

erc That wasn't so much a poke as merely a gentle elbow nudge. But the rabble masses need stirring from time to time to keep from succumbing to property-pin-driven complacency, so keep on rousin' on, friend!  (We'll talk gourdament delivery later.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm all signed up.  Hopefully getting the 1,000 points will be easier than attending a MVC sales presentation.

BTW...I'm not really a fan of Hampton Inns...but will stay at one if there are no other Marriott properties available.  My last stay at a Hampton was in Farmville, VA where it was the "fanciest" hotel in town.

msb_bryan Marriott Associate Platinum

Thanks, erc - doing my best!

erc Platinum

Once they get to know you Bryan, I'm sure it'll catch fire. Unfortunately, the participation has been diluted due to previous decisions (baseball and review contests) and the tightening of bennies which directly impacted entrepreneurs, who pay out of pocket - but we'll get there ( I was actually doing something resembling work at the time or I'd have played along ).

Here's a good site (in case you haven't bumped into it) http://www.thewisemarketer.com/  that you can chew on, until the mojo starts flowing. Keep on keepin' on. It's all good.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

IInteresting! Thanks for this!  I will sign up and check it out. I'm all for getting exrtra points. My work schedule doesn't allow me to travel often so I'll take any extra points I can get!

pjm97 Gold 2 Reviews

Just signed up too!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

signed up ^_^

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hey Insiders! While Marriott Pulse is geared towards Asia Pacific customers, I'm glad you are taking advantage of the points the platform is offering. As we are constantly looking for ways to improve Insiders, if you see something you like on Marriott Pulse or you think is something we could do within this community, go ahead and share it! I'd love to hear your feedback.

erc Platinum

Well ok, I'll bring the skunk to the garden party and state the obvious;

"if you see something you like on Marriott Pulse or you think is something we could do within this community"

I certainly would like to be paid in points in increments of 1k to participate in Insider forums .

Man, I'm tellin' ya, as a Boomer Insider, I'm feeling a bit like a Mushroom

How to Grow Mushrooms

Follow Kansas State University's directions for growing button mushrooms

Fill the trays with the mushroom compost material and inoculate with spawn, the spot you choose should stay relatively dark.

In otherwords, kept in the dark and fed ****

(and my good pal, gardening expert and professor for UGa's Natural Resources, foxglove can confirm this is mushroom growing 101)

Ok, I feel better now (and I'd better be careful what I wish for, I just might get it , but it does seem a bit shortsighted).

Naah, I don't need points, but this certainly highlights the value of you and your team keeping us posted (as you've been attempting) with as much public info re:Marriott Rewards, as soon as possible - thanks

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Marriott Pulse standard survey: 50 points

Marriott Pulse special survey: 100 points

Marriott Pulse discussion forum participation: 1000 points

erc's skunk-wielding fungus propagation and fertilizing tips: Priceless!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HAHA!

Like you ive joined Pulse and so far have done the 2 surveys. So far, at least for me, theres no comparison between Insiders and Pulse...

Let us all know when you get the points brightlybob.  I haven't got mine yet!

Jsucool76 Gold

I too am still waiting on my points. =/

erc Platinum

As always, the devil is in the details. This has been a disappointing trend of late, leading with a buzz and not backing it up effectively with execution (Lifetime points, Points Plus, Badges, even some FlashPerk snafus). Tommo781, brightlybob and Jsucool76 best wishes and please keep us posted. We'll stir the troops and rouse some rabble if necessary .

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i read the FAQ and they said they process the total points at the end of each month and then may take upto 4 weeks to post to the account. So i doubt you will be seeing them any time soon

erc Platinum

Still a bit too soon to see if the points have been credited yet (unlike most places that say allow 4-6 weeks for delivery and then send it in two, Marriott hasn't quite caught on to the Amazonlike posting of transactions), but has anyone seen any topics of interest yet from Marriott Pulse?

In searching for this post, I ran across this Marriott mPulse - anybody else had an invite?

(no longer active) requiring an apparently lengthy survey in order to earn the 500 points, so if the newer version rewards for participating, you guys are coming out ahead of the game.

Please keep us posted of any good stuff over there in Asia . Thanks

No erc I haven't.  I haven't had the sign up points yet - no surprise there - and I haven't had anything at all in the way of surveys etc.  I am guessing that as my profile isn't connected at all with Asia, they don't actually want my input.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I got invited to a discussion that opened on Dec. 4th and will be open until Dec. 12th.  For participating in it, I'll get 1,000 points.

Favouritism I call it!

Me too, aje5837, 1000 points for participating in a discussion about latest stay.

the group interaction seems non existent, you simply post and Marriott answers which may, or may not, require more replies. the whole thing is very heavily moderated. Most of the posters are talking about Asian or American hoptels, only the tiniest minority are European.

erc Platinum

aje5837  brightlybob

Do tell. What are the topics? Bob in the hotel example, was the topic a general request for info or specific questions?

This fascinates me, 1,000 points (of course, you must still get them - let us know when posted) per topic could be pretty lucrative for the participant.

Thanks

The Pulse site isn't like Marriott Insiders, the frontpage is pretty bare, all you can click on is the discussion group you've been invited to join, there's certainly nothing really to detain you there, nothing like the interactivity here or at FT.

So far I've been asked to relay my likes and dislikes concerning my latest Marriott stay at London Kensington, and to comment on where id put certain elements of service in a list… My reply to that forum was:

I'm an active MRI Insider and have been discussing our different experiences concerning a particular London Marriott with another member.

My experience of the hotel has been one of either no Plat upgrade, or to a nominally "upgraded" room that no-one in their right mind would actually pay extra for. Likewise my dealings with all staff in the hotel seemed similarly disinterested. Several visits with the same disinterested treatment caused me to abandon the hotel several years ago. The other MRI member has visited several times, and relates on his last visit how he booked 5 nights at the hotel, rang beforehand and asked for an upgraded room agreeing an upgrade price and giving his credit card details only to find when he arrived that as he was a gold member the hotel insisted they wouldnt charge the upgrade and furthermore then upgraded him further to their best available suite with lovely vews. He felt especailly well treated thoughout his stay by thoughtful and kind staff members and as a result is absoloutely amazed by my story of a completely dull hotel!

So here we have a hotel I will go out of my way to avoid and that same hotel being a choice a well respected friend would actually go out of his way to stay at!

So to apply this to the suggestions, I'd say

1. Members get more, we stay with Marriott and build up a relationship within the chain, it feels good when Marriott tries to do the same

2. Caring service, building on number 1, above

3. Convenience, doesn't matter how good a Marriott is, Im not going to stay there when I'm in another city!

4. Room Comforts, I prefer Marriotts bed, so always look for Marriots first

5. Consistency. Fix any problems fast

The rest are small beer, these are the biggies to help build my relationship with Marriott

Mind you it is a new site and it seems its still very much under construction, but its along way from capturing the interest I have in MRI

erc Platinum

Great stuff.

As we discuss the Insider existential (or at least identity) issue laid out by profchiara's MRI forum -- is it just me?

an additional forum is relevant information worth knowing about. I agree with you, it's hard to match Insiders camaraderie, but at a thousand points a pop, wow, we could face further dilution.

Thanks for the thorough follow up - keep an eye on those guys .

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi erc,

Since I don't stay at Marriotts more than once or twice a year anymore, my participation is based on all of the other Insiders, people like you, rather than Marriott itself.  I'm quite sure even though I'll have an early stay in Egypt in January at the Marriott Heliopolis, I will lose all standing since I have at most 1-2 nights a year.  And yes, the grass is greener, at least for me.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Never heard about any of this?

superchief1 Platinum

Although I haven't yet visited the site, it appears to me that the Marriott Pulse has been primarily set up to be a marketing research community for the purpose of getting feedback from customers regarding their preferences and specific Marriott related experiences. Insiders is more for the purpose of allowing MR members to share their experiences and recommendations with other members, including things unrelated to Marriott.

I would expect that the Marketing Research department is primarily responsible for the content and analyses of Marriott Pulse. I doubt that this department is very involved in monitoring the postings on Insiders, since our input regarding specific issues has basically been ignored over the years. 

erc Platinum

superchief1

Wow, they listen and they pay you! Nice work if you can get it !

posted from DCA from my pals' (what's it called?) yeah, tablet

Off to warmer climes to soothe my pain of A Brave New World at Marriott social media

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Good news, i believe i just received the first PULSE points. I got a 50pnts credited as IJIANG STANDARD SURVEY

jm1991,

Yup...I got the same thing.  Hopefully we will get invitations to participate further to earn more points.

erc Platinum

Man scratching his headGood stuff, thanks for sharing.

Well, as we like to say here at Insiders, "that's better than a stick in the eye", but aje5837, vaboywnder jm1991, brightlybob, and Tommo781 what's the story on the December 4th - December 12th 1,000 point  discussion or the 1,000 point latest stay discussion that was mentioned above?

Was the survey about you (as in a qualifier for future participation) or about Marriott or travel in general?

Also, did you get your sign on bonus points yet?   (if not, it's curious they have the technology to credit you a recent 50 points, but not the five week old 1,000 point sign on bonus)

Even 50 points a clip can add up (along with the 200 pt./10 discussion bonus) if you are allowed to play often enough, but if it turns out to be another PointsPlus "beta test" where the valuations fall short of the 'up to' 1,000 points (like some of their deal offers) then, that of course, is a different animal. Thanks for keeping us posted.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

No sign up bonus yet. But im hopeful that they will be added since the survey points were added.

P.S to anyone enrolling recently, points are processed at the end of each month and then take up to 4weeks to appear on thr account. But it looks like they add them about 2 weeks in after the month ends. So if u signed up December, you will not see your points until mid January or later

erc Platinum

jm1991

Thanks for the follow up. You're our vanguard of Marriott Social Media Millennial Marketing. Stay at it, you'll get that Tahoe vacation soon enough . Thanks for sharing, I appreciate your insights.

I've only received the 50 points for taking the Welcome Survey.  I haven't received any invites to participate in any other surveys or forum discussions at this time.

erc Platinum

vaboywnder

Thanks for responding. Well hang in there, you may still get a call to the bullpen....hopefully you'll get the 1,000 they owe you for signing up. Good luck

erc,

The 1,000 points is only if you get invited to participate in a forum discussion which I haven't received an invitation for.  Last night I  received an invitation to participate in a "Collaborative Travel Trend Survey" for 50 points.  I took the survey today and it took about 10 minutes.

Hi Eric and Vaboywnder,

Is it really worth it for the time?  What does 50 pts count for in Marriott Rewards?  I feel I get much more (and more easily) from e-miles and e-rewards.  To me, even 1000 points doesn't sound like much.  The only exception I make is my Barclay World Arrivals Elite MC.  I haven't yet jumped into their blog site (but it literally pays points in dollars spent), but every time I spend anything I get 2 x points and when used against travel expenses, which is very easy to do, you get lots of dollars back.

My American Express Delta card is probably figuring out my strategy.  After I got the MQM bonus in November and knew there was no way I would spend enough to get the second MQM bonus, I just stopped using it and used the far more lucrative Barclaycard instead.

erc Platinum

profchiara

It's 50 Reward points, as in 1/200th of a Cat. 2 certificate. The payoff would be the 1,000 point forums and whether it was of interest to you and whether Marriott invited you to participate. That's why these guys in this post are providing a valuable service, as early adapters they're letting us know what the ins and outs are as they learn them.

Most likely, given your work schedule and numerous other forums, you would only want to participate if you wanted to exchange ideas, rather than for the payout and treat the payout as gravy.

erc.  Thanks for that.  As I have said in another post reporting my current progress, it is a bit of fun, and nice to chat about it on the forum.

Thanks, erc -- it sounds too time-consuming what with MRI and the Barclaycard forum.

Hi Profchiara,

You are right that 50 points and even 1,000 MR points have low redemption value.  I've been in the process of trying to earn as many Marriott Points as I can as I am striving for Lifetime Status.  Currently I have enough nights for Lifetime Gold but still need about 145K more points to make it.  I've also been using my Marriott Rewards Visa Card for everyday purchases as much as possible to help meet my goal.

Earlier this year I applied for the Barclay World Master Card.  It had the nice sign up bonus which was equal to $440 in travel credit.  It is a great card with a good return and I occasionally participate in their blog site as well to earn extra points.  I do plan to utilize the Barclay card more once I reach my desired Lifetime status with Marriott.

allleisure Platinum

Off topic, but direct to your point. I, too, am marching slowly to Lifetime Plat. I'm almost there in nights but about 400K short in points. Last year I took steps to maximize my credit card points by putting as many reoccurring bills as possible on it.  For years I rarely used a credit card, paying cash for everything. Now, I have no shame. I have no problem with charging a $2 ice cream bar. Evidence, I made my intermediate goal and reached Lifetime Gold this month. My last stay gave me the 4000 points I needed. Suggestion: Examine your spending pattern and funnel as much as you can to the card. Almost all of my regular bills are auto pay through the card. A bonus is I will never have a late payment for those bills.  Of course, I never carry a balance.  (For you folk who have to work for a living and spend bunches of nights at Marriott on work related travel, I believe you have earned your status. All of my travel is leisure and directly out of pocket.). Just my 2 cents. 

allleisure,

Congrats on making Lifetime Gold!  I also made Lifetime Gold and now working towards Lifetime Plat.  Since Reward nights will now count toward Lifetime status that will also be a big help!

Me three, 50 points...