8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2014 8:15 AM by jerryl RSS

Overhead bins

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Today United airlines posted on facebook a Jetiquette post that states: "Keeping your jacket with you helps us keep overhead bins free for larger items. Plus, you'll have it ready if you feel chilly."

Now I posted the below response:

"I would usually say "thanks Captain Obvious for that tip" However since a high percentage of flyers are too entitled to follow the endless announcements about it or are just plain rude people in general, this needs to be stated again. If anyone has flown to ORD/NYC in the winter knows that big puffy winter coats cause problems when morons put them in the overhead bin and others can't get their luggage in it because of it. It also slows down boarding which is already too slow most of the time."

I proceeded to receive this comment to my comment:

"Check your f ing back next time"

To which I replied,

"I know you aren't talking to me, if so you are one of the rude inconsiderate people I was referring to."

Another person then comments to that and says:

"Sorry I AM talking to you. Next time, check your bag. Or, you can hold my coat for me."

To which I said:

Bins are for luggage not coat storage. If I have one carry on it goes in the overhead bin. I will not check a standard rollaboard so you can jam your winter coat where it doesn't belong. Coats only go in AFTER the bags do."

To be clear, my belief is that standard rollaboard bags go in the bin. Then, and only then, if there is space, your coat or huge puffy bubble jacket can go in. I would love for everyone to weigh in so that I can get an idea on whether I am viewing the whole thing correctly of if I am the delusional one in this argument.

Please weigh in erc, profchiara, IAHFLYR, vaboywnder, kharada46

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Overhead bins
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You are totally delusional my friend, the white overhead zone has always been for winter coats!!!!  LOL    I am so kidding you ks77.

Yes, overheads are for roll-a-boards and the like, then put the coats on top of them if you don't want to keep it with you in your seat IMHO.  For myself, I have never put a coat in the bins as I don't travel with a coat other than packed in my roll-a-board.  When I'd travel to S. Jersey in the winter my very warm leather flight jacket fit perfectly on top of my clothes in the Travel Pro case and that would fit into the overhead just fine.  Of course there was no room on top of my Travel Pro for anyone to put their coat there, but that's life.

You're absolutely correct as far as I'm concerned, but then I am the one who avoids conflicts on airplanes and at airports.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I am glad to see you agree. I am not a road warrior but have flown maybe a half dozen times a year for the past 5 years or so. I had the benefit of learning from my father who was a road warrior for a few years twice in his career. I learned about the whole coat thing, about if you see the bin above your seat is full then use whatever bin that has space, if you are in your seat and someone comes and says you are in their seat never get up until a flight attendant orders someone to move (first in the seat gets it in the case of overbooking or seat assignment error). With that knowledge it has made my travels easier as I knew what to expect. I just can't believe that seemingly reasonable people will insist that all bags be checked and that coats go in overhead bins, and that the bin above their seat is only for THEM and in the event someone has used it they can move that other person's bag. It's almost as if walking through the scanner at security turns off these peoples common sense and turns on selfishness and rudeness. 

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've seen people put all types of things in overheads and then get violently offended when you want to put your bug up there.  One guy was about to go to blows because he put his hat up and someone put their bag up.  crazy things but I agree coats should be held until everything is up.  I won't hesitate to just put my bag up if there's a coat in the way, don't even slow down a little.  If you think about it the overhead bin is quite literally one of the dirtiest places you can store your jacket.  Every single bag up there was dragged across the floors and probably made a visit to the restroom just prior to boards.  For me, a jacket can stay hung up or made into an arm rest .... worst case under the seat in front of me.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's awful ks77, but I agree with you.  Overhead bin space is for roller boards and what not.  This issue could be solved, of course, not only by having some common courtesy, but by picking up the awesome Uniqlo Ultra-Light Down jackets that pack away in a neat, tiny little pouch that fits in one hand! 

Men's Ultra Light Down | UNIQLO

Thankfully this isn't really an issue when traveling to/from Hawaii

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

For me its very rare that I use an overhead bins.  Most of my flights I end up staying at the destination for a longer period of time and find myself using a larger bag that I check.  I do agree that overhead bins should used for the larger carry on bags that will not fit under the seat in front of you.   Personally I would not want my jacket stored in an overhead bin as zukracer mentions its one of the dirtiest places.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't fly any more, but overhead bins were always contentious.  I remember once that myself and Mrs Tommo boarded a plane where we had club class seats.  It was a small plane, so it was not a separate club class cabin, but better seats at the front of the plane.  I went to put my bag, which was not very big, into the overhead above our seats.  It was crammed full of bags and coats.  A member of cabin crew came along and said all the overheads were full, and my bag would have to go in the hold.  Now, this bag had medication and valuables in it, so I refused.  I asked her if my overhead held overspill from club class or standard class passengers.  She said they were from standard.  So I told her she should remove coats and bags that were from standard class passengers and put them in the hold instead, as I had already paid more for my seat.  She reluctantly removed some stuff, put my bag in, and a passenger from near the back of the plane came forward and started mouthing off about moving his luggage.  What a nightmare!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well if you fly Allegiant or Spirit ( now maybe frontier)you will have no problem getting overhead bin space since they charge you . I recently use them to fly to western Washington and paid 10-15 to put a bag in overhead and of course they were nearly empty. People will go with whatever is the cheapest alternative. Since most major airlines charge to check bags of course people will try to bring more and more on . the Christmas season of course is the worse in addition to coats and bags people bring Xmas presents . 

erc Platinum

ks77

As often is the case, I agree with your stance, although as a worn out old war horse, I don't use the energy to battle it out with the online jackals (that's a younger man's game, go get 'em tiger), many who are wimps who wouldn't dare say some of their statements in person. That's one of the beauties of Insiders, where when the occasional chucklehead foolishly spouts off, the post is often met by an ostracizing blanket of silence.

Your dad's advice remains sound today - get there first, not only for the double assignment, but for the occasional jerk who deliberately seizes your nice aisle seat in hopes that inertia, apathy, or intimidation will win the day (wrong bucko). That's why when I fly Southwest, I'm online 24 hours to the minute (like FlashPerks or Jimmy Buffet tickets) in advance working to snag a Zone A boarding pass or why I fly United, because of my credit card priority, or why I fly American because of my good fortune to have married a dynamo whose early years earned her million mile status. 

Recognizing that even "where's the deal" erc could be leaving dollars on the table by not flying other airlines, I've gotten to the stage to realize, it's not worth it and what the hell, it's the kids' money anyway .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...