32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2014 5:54 PM by clebert RSS

Insiders Get Together - Mayflower Hotel

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Friday night in the Edgar bar and Cafe (as insidenji shared, named for J. Edgar Hoover) at the famous Mayflower Hotel, Insiders from all over America gathered for an fantastic get together, talking travel, making up stories about absentee Insiders, and discussing a whole variety of interesting topics. Since the NathalieF did such a fabulous job of hosting the event, with several well thought out surprises, it's turned me into her 'cabana boy' and I will really have to man up to continue being a wiseguy (remember, I've already given up rabblerousing).

Taking a double dose, booster shot of Low T juice, I mustered up a rundown of issues addressed through a haze of strong drink, generously provided along with wonderful appetizers, and great camaraderie. At least 6% of the following are true :

BOGOs not reinstated  
PowerPoint showed few (as a % of world population) knew about them

Certificates were immediately moved to Category 6, you can now use points to secure higher level properties or unicorns

Concierge Lounges    (at participating hotels) will open on high floors, 24/7 serving free adult beverages

Upgrades to corner rooms, suites, and fantastic views granted upon seeing your elite status (I.T. working on program)

Courtyard lobby coffee will not return
Market research proved no one drank it once it was removed

All Platinum Premiers with the exception of pingreeman shall receive guaranteed upgrades when using points

Arne Sorenson, waiting for Godot/dejamo, answered every question from his Ask Arne contest  

Badges awarded to attendees, (b.e. asked for two) 7 points credited to accounts (must be used in increments of 10)

Aviation Geeks Unite thread laid to rest  
http://hyperallergic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/plane-underground-300.jpg raised a glass to IAH , kharada, ks77, et al.

Free parking - Survey ?'s proved it was not popular (Would you prefer free parking or rooms with beds and electricity?)

The Greater Team
thanked Insiders for their insights and suggestions

Ok, with that last bit of subversiveness out of the way, and so that Insiders don't think I was ungratefully biting the hand that fed us (and

tonight literally),  
take a look at the marvelous evening CM took the effort and thought to plan for us.***

20141107_183233_resized.jpg 
Security chief and 25 year Marriott man Jay W. was kind enough to carve out time to give us the "Deluxe V.I.P." tour

20141107_183657_resized.jpg
  Viewing the kitchen and meeting the chef who put together fantastic food items for us - I'd share pictures, but it would just break your heart
As you can see, President Obama dropped in as well
  20141107_184559_resized.jpg
The Ercs, Jay W, bejacob, CMgr, the Plutos, Aron of Marriott Rewards Digital Media

20141107_191028_resized.jpg
First floor hallways - all areas came with great stories and tales, I'd share, but you can just read the book - oh, that's right, you didn't get a book

20141107_190505_resized.jpg
Several Inauguration balls and big time events held in their ballrooms

20141107_184427_resized.jpg

20141107_184234_resized.jpg
Jay had volumes of stories of historic events to share
20141107_214245_resized.jpg
bejacob and pluto brought gifts! - Ohio craft beer and California wine and seasonings - great stuff
The hotel gave us a Mayflower history book written by their former Director of Sales

I want to thank the CM for attending and playing along. She and Aron (and Jay) were wonderful and gracious hosts and a delight to 'talk shop' with. As several of us have written before, we should never hold her responsible for corporate actions that we frequently rail against.

The moderation team continues to do an excellent job of keeping the flow of information timely and useful (yours truly continued to hammer her about beating my mailman or paperboy when it comes to announcements, even while sipping my free beer - I'm so ashamed - naah ). I believe with her leadership and her team's ongoing efforts, the forum will only grow stronger and more valuable to travelers. It was a terrific evening, wish you were here.
I'm sure bejacob and pluto77 will have additional pictures and insights with a more reverential tone.   Keep on keepin' on Insiders.

***Line 16b paragraph 3 of the Terms and Conditions of Insiders Get Togethers clearly state that this is a one time event - you snooze, you lose, don't be coming to town looking for free handouts - that ship has sailed; so sayeth the fortunate ones .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insiders Get Together - Mayflower Hotel
    shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Erc

JUst when I think your post could not get any better you find a way to top yourself.   Thanks doe the informative and funny post.  Please keep them coming and enjoy DC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great write up erc.

I'm not sure I can add much more to that narrative. I will add my voice of thanks and praise to our wonderful NathalieF and the team from Marriott who took such great care of us. I had anticipated a small gathering with Insiders pluto77 and erc sharing tales and enjoying a few laughs. Instead Nathalie worked her magic and we were treated like VIPs (complete with a guided tour of the Mayflower and delicious food and beverages).

edgar.jpg

Mr. Pluto, Nathalie, Pluto77, Bejacob, Erc, and Mrs. Erc all smiles after our VIP tour (and a few drinks).

We had a fantastic evening. It was the stuff of legends (at least it will be on this forum) in that we'll be telling tales about our get together for some time. It certainly broke the mold as far as Insider gatherings.

Thanks again to everyone who had a part in making this happen and another special thank you to our CM (you're the best ).

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

How great to see all of you and read the stories told be erc, can't wait to read what our country crisscross Insider pluto77 and our county card collector bejacob add to the great report already given.  A splendid looking group I must say and the smiles tell the joy of attending the gathering.

Great stuff for sure.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Looks like everyone had a great time, thanks for the write up and the pictures.  I see you got some nice gifts also; I bought the same book about the Mayflower in the gift shop; lots of fun pictures in it; I especially like the ones of JFK and Mrs. Kennedy at their Inaugural Ball.

I hope I can make it to the next get-together.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

So great to hear such a great time was had by all!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Wonderful story, pictures and SO glad a good time was had by all!

Congratulations, I only hope some day to join all of you!

erc Platinum

Thanks jerrycoin, it would have been great to see you, jakeal, insidenji (and of course my brother from another mother IAHFLYR) and others. The CM was talking about the possibility of, similar to FT where they have scheduled Get Togethers, helping us coordinate such gatherings. We probably need a larger, more participatory base to pull it off - but considering the idea is a good start for something down the road as Insiders hopefully grows back to its previous size and participation.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great report, erc, though I'm not so sure your rabble rousing days are really behind you..

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Ungh... Sorry I missed it!!!  Hopefully, next time.....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Being the latecomer to the afterglow, all I can do here is simply endorse the comments above from my Insider Get Together Pals.  It was delightful and magical evening, filled with fun and surprises.

It was so great to meet face to face and visit with some of the fine people that I have been conversing with here for a couple of years now (chatting in person is so much more pleasant and efficient!)  The sublime people of Marriott - nathalie, Aaron and Jay, along with the exquisite Mayflower Renaissance have ahem, ruined me (I don't want to leave this place).  What a fabulously, remarkable hotel, only topped by the graciousness of our hosts.  The company, conversation, the VIP tour and knowledge imparted by Jay was nothing short of fantastic.  Many thanks also to Insiders razorbackfan, painedplatinum, ssindc, clebert and others who have lauded the charm of this historic hotel.  It is indeed quite extraordinary and will now always be my first choice (when I can afford it ) when visiting the DC area.

We met Jay in the lobby the next morning (does he ever sleep?) and chatted further for a while.  What a neat guy.  And by the way, I would've posted much earlier than now, but at midnight after our evening and dinner at Ris (yep, rinny54, the menu, after dark ambiance, service and food is all excellent and thanks for your tenacity!), I couldn't put the (Mayflower history) book down.  Then, applying some of the sage tips from the evening by our good man erc, I was up and out the door the next morning at 6am, in order to have a small slice of the capital all to myself, and fantastic advice; the early morning is definitely the way to enjoy this fine city.

Snagging last minute tickets for the Washington Monument

IMAG4441.jpg

Private, early morning commune with TJ

IMAG4471.jpg

Thank you again for a lovely evening and great company, bejacob, Mr. and Mrs. erc, nathalie, Mr. and Mrs. Aaron and Jay.  Hope to do it again sometime, adding more good folks to the mix!

erc Platinum

Great seeing you and Mr. Pluto (Guitarman - would love to see him play...and his homemade Fender Stratocaster - give him my regards).

Anyway, my feeble mind can't remember if it was you or NathalieF who mentioned this - but look what I found a BOGO   $15 -- President Lincoln's Cottage: Top-Rated Tour, 50% Off | Travelzoo

probably too late for you, but I was thinking of you. Have a nice return trip.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

I am glad you enjoyed your dinner @ Ris!  I will let Ris know that you had a wonderful time @ her restaurant.  Did you let her know that Rinny sent you? If you had, she may have come out to see you @ some time during your dinner as I had told her that Marriott insiders might be coming...:-) I would have loved to have been in DC with you all.  I have stayed @ the Mayflower this past June & loved it!! They upgraded us to a 2 room suite. (oops...another thread!).  Perhaps another time.

Rinny, I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, otherwise I definitely would've dropped your name.  I did ask about the name Ris and they explained that it was the owner's nickname (short for Doris.)  Great place.  The scallops and the seafood stew were both delicious with creative flavors.  I would enjoy a return visit.

We also dined at a new establishment - selected by my cousin, Boss Shepherd's.  It lived up to it's reviews, nice ambiance ( a little noisy, but I've experienced worse).  The Maine Blue Mussels and the North Carolina (head on - cute guy) Trout were both tasty.  I was made to try (yes, she made me! ) DC's signature cocktail, The Gin Rickey.  Mine was made with Green Hat gin, distilled here in DC.  It is the first distillery in DC since Prohibition.

Cheers!

Yes, Pluto77, I was serious! Ris is the owner /chef and my sister! She has a great reputation in DC & is a wonderful person.  Before she owned Ris, she was the executive chef @ 1789 in Georgetown & before that @ Kinkaid's on Pennsylvania Ave. (now closed). Glad you had a delicious dinner.  When you return, say hi from me!

rinny54, Oh darn!!  It would've been great to have met her.  Perhaps next time, and I believe there will be (DC is my favorite U.S. city.)  As a cross-country leisure visitor and with so many good restaurants in DC, it would be quite easy to never dine at the same restaurant twice, but I will happily make an exception for Ris.  You are right to be proud of your accomplished sister.  (And I love 1789 too.)  Please send her our regards.

rinny54,

I have dined at Ris many times, and have always enjoyed the food and ambiance.

This is a wonderful place to experience.  I was introduced to the fine place by Al Johnbrier, whose daughter was an executive there years ago.

The customers were noted, and I would enjoy going back!

Glad you liked Ris, Jerrycoin!  It is a great restaurant with delicious food & wonderful ambiance.  It will be opened for 5 years next month.  If you ever go back, tell them to tell Ris that Rinny sent you!  I will mention Al Johnbrier to her!  Thanks!

rinny54,

Thanks for the message, and please do!

The last time I was there, I came over from the most beautiful train station.  A wonderful evening!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Great job everyone!

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Argh!  I'm sorry to have missed it.  The Mayflower has always treated me very nicely plus the bonus of putting faces to made up names--well, next time.

Thanks for the trip reports .

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I felt bad when I coundn't go and now even more so.  I was stuck sleeping in first of an AA777.  Next time!

californian,

We missed you (indeed you were acknowledged).  Just the same, congratulations on flying (and sleeping) in first on a triple seven!  Hope you are having a wonderful time in Florida and then later, SA.  Livin' large my friend and good on ya!    Next time, for sure.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Such a smart-looking group! Great reports and obviously a splendid get-together. Thanks to all for sharing.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Sounds like a good time.  Glad y'all had fun.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Excellent!  Great pics!