9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2014 4:22 AM by brightlybob RSS

Starwood - Mobile Phones Now Opens Hotel Rooms

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hotels' smartphone apps let travelers bypass check-in, unlock doors - San Jose Mercury News

A good article on the current status of mobile check in;

Starwood on Monday became first chain to allow guests to unlock their doors with smart phones (10 props, expanding to 140 by mid year)

Hilton plans on rolling out to 250 properties by end of '15

Marriott not yet, but booked 1.25 billion in mobile bookings last year

Hilton and Marriott plan on mobile booking for all properties next year - more than 8,000 hotels

I guess I better get with the program - soon, like many restaurants and other retailers, mobile only deals will be offered - oh my

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Starwood - Mobile Phones Now Opens Hotel Rooms
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hey fellow geezer, guess our 1990 bag phones won't work on the Starwood doors will they?

Of course you now you'll have to upgrade yourself to mobile check-in to advance to the level of smartphone keys.  Give it a try once when you have the room you want already reserved, it is very very simple even I have accomplished it without further assistance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

This is great news. The lobby/desk area should be practically empty when I check in and pick up the keycards at the desk.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

My concern about this technology is safety and potential theft.  I'm sure some hackers out there will find a way to open random hotel doors with their phone.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

this sounds convenient specially when so many people lose or forget the keys in the room, you never forget your phone even just to get ice haha. Mine also get demagnetized sometimes when i put them in the same pocket as my phone. Im guessing the phones require NFC for it to work. As far as security, i dont know if they would give you a download command at the desk or from the app itself. I use NFC stickers to give access to guest at the house without having to actually give out the password, just tap and connect. Also have one to turn mobile data on and play pandora when it detects the one on my large cupholder (which is where i put phone)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

At first flush this sounds brilliant but I see issues:

1. Tech used is likely to be Bluetooth, a power-drainer. In common with many I keep my Bluetooth switched off so I can get a full days battery out of my phone.

2. Hacking questions especially when linking relatively insecure Bluetooth to the App, which in turn stores credit card info.

3. What if with two of you in the room each wants a key?

4. What if you've booked a group of rooms? How do the additional roomkeys work?

5. What if you've booked a group of rooms? Will the reserving guest be able to open all the rooms with his phone?

6. How does it work if you're granted a late checkout?

There must be others, but I've not fully woken up yet.

I think all these issues can be pretty easily dealt with by good IT design, which Im afraid causes me grave concerns with Marriott(!) The first 2 are however more problematical and run to the use of Bluetooth, though the installation of RF tech in new phones at manufacture would resolve this in the long term, switching all doors to Bluetooth only to then have to change to RF will be an unwelcome expense. Marriott may be wise in waiting this one out, sticking with its presently very successful mobile app checkin for the immediate future as smartphone manufacturers add app-accessible RF to their phones...

erc Platinum

Gang

This is all good stuff, thanks for sharing some excellent insights. That's what we do at Insiders, slap up some topics/news and get some thoughtful ideas flowing about the subject - nice job.

IAHFLYR - whereas you're right, I'd better get on the mobile bandwagon (if for no other reason then the inevitable offers that are starting to flow exclusively via mobile), the more likely scenario; I'll have a new SOP, erc travel must be accompanied by a smart phone capable companion . Like Blanche Dubois, when it comes to technology, "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers pals"

foxglove - I hear ya pal, that's my game plan, working on my Dale Carnegie and schmoozing the FD assoc.

vaboywnder - you betcha, especially in the beginning - stuff happens!

jm1991 - you are the man and exactly why we need more tech 'points of the spear' with us in Insiders - my knowledge of NFC is limited to Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Buddy Ryan, and Jimmy Johnson (ha ha, he'll have to look that up !). Keep on keepin' on jm and show us the way (and don't be afraid to share any inevitable setbacks that often come to innovators  - thanks)

brightlybob - well first off, look who hasn't quite adjusted from his London time zone. Hope Philly is a blast.

Even in the wee hours of transatlantic travel that legal brain is cranking away - superb analysis (of course perhaps falling on deaf ears, as geezers say; "yeah, well I wasn't jumping in anyway" and tech edged early adapters say, "no pain, no gain, this is the future, go man, go" (ok, maybe they don't say that last part ).

Keep on keepin' on Insiders

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

I think marriott has this at a few select "test" properties.  I think I saw something about it on twitter.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...