13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2014 8:40 PM by superchief1 RSS

CL's moving off of C Levels...

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

...I've noticed a disturbing trend where the Concierge Lounges have moved off of the

Concierge Levels.  The latest casualty is at the Miami Airport Marriott.  The new CL

is a keyed off area in the Lobby restaurant.

Part of the benefits of the CL's are their privacy on C Levels, especially those that

are "pass keyed" by the elevators.

I don't like this new trend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: CL's moving off of C Levels...
    erc Platinum

I agree. This is another area of concern, as properties move more and more to their own interpretation of Rewards benefits, sometimes with the impact of eroding the value of the existing benefit.

"Hi there. Doug Neidermeyer. Welcome to Omega House

"I'd like you to meet Mohammet, Jugdish, Sidney, and Clayton"

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

0.0 .... there goes 6 years of college down the drain....

I agree, that the quality, size, and location has appeared to become an afterthought in many new and renovated locations (to be fair, I'm sure it is not viewed as a revenue generator by Marriott). I don't want to appear too picky, as it is nice to have somewhere I can go and get a bottle of water or two and have a quick breakfast before I hit the road to my next destination....

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sounds to me as if the properties will be looking to squeeze more rooms into the hotel for gains in revenue.....oh well just keep on keepin' on Insiders as erc forgot to tell Neidemeyer!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Experienced a CL on the 2nd floor overlooking the lobby at the Renaissance Denver City Center a few weeks ago. However, as this was a converted old bank building it seemed to me like the placement of the CL was to make use of otherwise unusable space.  It was key card access behind glass doors.  The downside is they considered the 2nd and 3rd floors to be CL floors meaning you have guests staying above you as well as street noise.  Verdict is still out on how I feel about lower level CLs, but when I notice one in the future I will be sure to ask for a high floor room even if the rooms set aside for CL are on the lower levels.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think the concept of a concierge level at the "top of the shop" incorporating both rooms and the lounge is very much a North American design. Top floor concierge lounges are by no means the norm in Europe, where skyscrapers are less common and space is at a greater premium. Hence in the approx 50 different Marriotts I've stayed at around the EU I can only think of London WIQ, Heathrow Ren, Cardiff, Copenhagen and Moscow that actually have the top floor concierge level. By comparison I've stayed at only 3 North American properties, Toronto, Ottawa and Philadelphia, all of which have top floor concierge levels.

I think relocating the lounge makes good sense from the hotels point of view, it can be enlarged and placed in a more awkwardly shaped space on a lower floor, thus allowing more tables, utilising otherwise poor spaces to make an "interesting" lounge and enables more rooms on the top floor utilising the old concierge lounge area.

erc Platinum

Aye there's the rub, what hopes may come when we're shuffled off to the 'dead zone' of an otherwise poor space.

Sometimes, if not often, I've observed when Rewards policies are altered, although it does accomplish the unilateral goal of the hotelier, the impact for the loyal lodger is a reduction of quality, not an enhancement, such as an "interesting" lounge or enlargement.

My first reaction over the past two years of defensive "first, do no harm" benefit revisions is "uh oh, here we go again" (although, granted, sometimes in keeping with the bard's theme today, "it's much ado about nothing"). We shall see, but I'm certainly glad aaronplatinum4life gave us a possible canary in the coal mine heads up, because CL's are one of the most significant Rewards elite benefits and a material change in the offering would alter several of my travel plans.

The CL doesn't have to be on the top floor.  The CL at London County Hall is on the 4th floor, I believe.  But it is pretty much out of sight and private...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the CL at SFO airport is now also on ground floor. The door seemed to be open at times so it was very noisy

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

The CL at the Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre has always been off the lobby beside the restaurant and it has one of the best breakfasts going.  Always the usual buffet items with wonderful fresh fruit but also a fabulous custom egg stand....you name she makes it.

It's been posted here before that CLs outside of the USA are generally much

nicer and have more amenities...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OOoops, yes the Toronto hotel i stayed at was the Airport Marriott...

superchief1 Platinum

If relocating the CL results in an upgrade of the food and beverages that are offered, I will support the change. Otherwise, I prefer the current locations on the high C floors where there is quick access, privacy, and the area is more quiet and 'special'.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...