2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2014 2:00 PM by appletoe RSS

Unsolicited Email: Marriott what were you thinking ???

appletoe Silver
Currently Being Moderated

During times when so many companies are being hacked it has now become almost impossible to determine real email from spam or even worse. So what do you do, you distrust them. If I don’t know the sender or if the sender can’t prove it is from a reliable source, then as the Red Queen says "Off with its head".

(See the email at the end of this post.)

I have always made time to answer Marriott email and surveys about the hotels we have stayed at and the wonderful people that work at these places. I have signed up with Marriott to be sent other emails at their option. As long as the link goes to a Marriott web page or can prove it is not spam, I will respond. After receiving the email below I am seriously considering ending my participation with all Marriott partners.

Can anyone look at the email below and be sure it is not a computer hack of some type. It says it is associated with Marriott but anyone can say that. It says it wants feedback and has a link to a website no way associated with Marriott, red flag! Yea I will follow that link right after I take care of my long lost wealth cousin in Nigeria that needs my help getting money out of his country.

So I sent the email to Marriott customer support and after a couple of days they responded that yes this was a legit Marriott partner related email. YEA!, oh wait, too late CEB is already blocked.

In the future I will not be bothering the fine folk at Customer Support to ask if each email with the Marriott name in it, is really from Marriott, I will block the sender and be done with them. Just as a guess I will bet that the response rate for this survey is very very low. Marriott perhaps you should ask for your points back.

Sorry IT guys you really dropped the ball on this one. A very simple fix for this would be to use a link from a Marriott webpage or even a redirect from a Marriott webpage.

(Hello Marriott, you could charge for this redirect, heck you could even setup a partner page with links, now that would be useful.)

Here is the email I am ranting about:

From: CEB Customer Surveys [mailto:CEBCustomerSurveys@executiveboard.com]

Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:15 PM

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Subject: Marriott International - Request for Customer Feedback

Marriott International and CEB, an independent research company, invite you to participate in a customer service survey designed to gauge your opinions on how to provide excellent customer service. Marriott is participating in the survey because we would like to know how our customers feel about these topics and find out what is important to them in terms of customer service. By completing this survey you can help us shape our future service offerings. This survey will take approximately five to ten minutes to complete. Your responses will only be used to analyze your opinions about different customer service offerings, so please be as candid and direct as possible. Click here to access the survey (available in English, Spanish, Chinese, German, and Arabic): https://www.survey-executiveboard.com/se.ashx?s=46F0C17448F8DA7208D1CXXXXXXXXXXXXX Thank you in advance for your participation!

Privacy Statement –This is a one-time survey intended to provide us with valuable information to improve our customer relationships. CEB will collect data from you on behalf and under the instruction of Marriott by CEB. CEB may provide your individual responses, along with the results of the survey generated from individual responses, to Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
  • Re: Unsolicited Email: Marriott what were you thinking ???
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I don't see what the big deal is.  Many companies send post purchase surveys and most of them are from 3rd party research companies like CEB,  Medallia, and others and they will not link directly to the actual company website because it's them doing the surveys and research. And yes I've gotten the survey.  You can easily just delete it, btw other hotel chains will also send out surveys if you put your email somewhere.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unsolicited Email: Marriott what were you thinking ???
    appletoe Silver

I fully agree, the delete button is your friend.

By the way do you click on all links from, all emails ? Bet the answer is "of course not". However if the link went to the company you were being surveyed for, you would be more likely to click it, wouldnt you ?
    Just saying a simple way to boost responses would be a redirect page or a landing page directly off Marriott.com.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...