4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2014 11:02 AM by misterchk RSS

Use of GPS When Traveling

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is an update (correction) to earlier post: Re: Auto GPS Suggestion  and attached discussion:

IMG_1157.JPGIMG_1158.JPG

One good feature of portable GPS is that you can obtain updates and different maps via your computer via the company from whom you bought the device. If you purchase a new auto with GPS built into the dashboard, the dealer has to provide updates. * Also, should you lose your GPS while traveling internationally, it is not as costly as if you were to lose one supplied by the auto rental company!

One correction regarding downloads:  At least with my TomTom (as shown) you don't have to download the map loaded on your GPS to your computer; you just connect to the company (TomTom) and delete the installed map and purchase the one you desire (i.e. for "Western Europe"), and it will download onto your GPS (takes some time to do so), and your former map will be stored in your file at the GPS company (such as TomTom). Later, when you want to reload your former map (such as US and Canada), you repeat the process. Once you purchase these respective maps, or additional features, they belong to you.

Many people use their Iphone maps/GPS, but I prefer the larger model GPS units with audio, night screens, directions to gas stations, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Use of GPS When Traveling
    erc Platinum

Good stuff. I like to use a personal navigator (Mrs. Erc) and her phone GPS. The two heads are better than one has really worked for us. Most recently on my long commute from East Bofunk Georgia to Hartsfield, we were able to save at least a half hour by taking the perimeter 285 rather than a straight shot down I-85. I would have never been able to drive and call an audible. Besides, we either get there in the most effective way or it's her fault! A no lose scenario for me, who remains undefeated (in my mind) in The Navigation Tournament .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've recently discover the CoPilot app which is now my go to GPS tool on my Android phone. I used a free version over the summer and liked it so much I decided to pay for the full version (the free version give you a preview of all the features for, I think, 30 days).

The ability to add multiple stops and customize routes are what sold me. The turn by turn directions are just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. One nice feature is that it uses very little data while on the road. The user needs to download the appropriate maps (generally by region) but that it best done using your home wifi since the map files are rather large. I love Google Maps but it is by comparison a data hog.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We used the Google Map App that came with my Galaxy S5 throughout Italy this past summer without a glitch as it knew each and every roundabout, excellent .  It even had traffic depicted on the roads which I have come to find invaluable while driving around Houston to avoid the dreaded stop and go driving.  You are also able to type into the search window anything you are looking for and it brings up on the display.

I'm with erc, letting the Mrs take control of the direction tool makes it very simple when things go not according to plan!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Unlike my insider buddies  IAHFLYR and erc , Mrs. Misterchk "uses me" .  She asks me everytime we attempt to navigate "why don't men ask for directions" - I tell her it's the same reason we don't read manuals prior to assembling something"

She yells at me - and gets in the car armed with printouts of Mapquest, Google and Yahoo maps and 3 resident GPS apps on her IPhone ! (I ask why are we paying Hertz for "never lost")

After years of abuse (my daughter and dog both abuse me also) - I just "shut up and go with the flow".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...