30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2016 9:41 AM by bpelican RSS

Questions on Badges

samm8910 Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone explain why it seems the progress on badges seems to be off the mark? Is this something I'm supposed to enter? If it automatic, it isn't working? Any advice?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Questions on Badges
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

First off, let's clear up whether you are talking about Insider badges or the new badges on Marriott.com. I'm assuming the latter. Earning of the hotel brand badges requires opting in, so I hope you've done that. Once opted in, it takes 2 separate stays (not nights) at a particular brand to earn that brand badge. I believe the stays have to be paid stays, but that has not been definitely answered.

To earn the 5-brand badge, you need to make stays (again not nights) at 5 different brands. For me, I've had to enlist help from our own NathalieF (except on the 5-brand badge) before they showed on my account. I'm hopeful that the next couple I am set to earn (later this week) show up without an involvement from our moderator or the Marriott customer service folks. You can always try calling them to look into badges you think you should have earned.

Now if you're discussing the Insider badges, that's a different issue. I'd like to think those are fairly self-explanatory, though some do take a little effort to achieve.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I stayed at a Marriott in the UK last week.  This was my second stay since the badges started.  The very next day the badge showed up, I got the 25 points, and also the points for my stay.  Most impressive.

beauvallonboy Platinum

Opting in...or not....Once one opting in...they should realize that one has these different level of badges and credit those proper badges.  I have been a lifetime platinum member and earned it the old way...but apparently since this program wasn't available prior then one doesn't get this badge...just for a measly 250 points...

Not sure what those badges really mean besides a few points and bragging rights?

insertcoffee Platinum

I would imagine this is another branding item aimed at millennials, who studies say like collecting them, getting check ins on Foursquare, etc.

The issue with me is that they are not automatic (for *me*-- there have been reports of the system working as designed for other people). After several calls and the badge doesn't show up, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. For me, and in my personal experience, the badges are emblematic of the Slough of Despond of IT and MR issues. Either have the program, and have it work, without rigourous follow up by the customer, or just scuttle it. Not all of the CSRs even know about it, and it has existed now for a couple of years.

As for your issue: yes, it is unfortunate that this did not exist before. But I'm sure there are folks saying the same thing about the credit card, or what have you. The badges are really not a big deal and for the most part, have limited point value anyway.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Aha, beauvallonboy and insertcoffee I can tell that you both, like me, are not millennials and so find the attraction of the badges difficult to understand.

Luckily we we have a few (relatively) tame millenials here, one of which is even toilet trained, so I will now call SeaTexan from her instagram twittering and Jsucool76 from his latest wooden credit card made from Marriott desks, in the hope that they can explain the attraction of these badges, cos like you both, I'm darned if I can!

Jsucool76 Gold

They're just points to me. I won't go out of my way to complete them, but when I do the free points don't hurt.

seatexan Platinum

My entire existence centers around these badges!!! We millennials like collecting things, like a game!  And when were young, much younger, like 4, maybe 5 years ago...Candy Crush, Angry Birds and any Facebook game, instilled that goals were important.  We need goals to keep us going.  We need to level up and get rewards for our hard work. It's those little incentives that make life all worth it.

Stamp collecting is so old school, badge collecting... now that is on fleck.

Jsucool76 I want a wooden Marriott CC made out of Marriott desk! no fair (bc you know everything in life of course must be fair)! I really am jealous you have one.

Ahem.....

I do think the badges are fun though.  It's more of a personal tracker with fun little reward points. It is taking me forever to get them however as I am a JW, Marriott, or Ren goer.  I rarely venture out to the other brands. The spend x nights are nice too.  I think bejacob has everyone beat tho! One day, one day... I'll catch up!!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well there we are, folks (beauvallonboy and insertcoffee)

It would appear Collecting these badges is, ahem, "on fleck"

Another millennial mystery explained.

No need to thank me

beauvallonboy Platinum

@SeaTexan, yes don't go out of your way to get batches but brand comparisons, price comparison, location to what you want etc. makes it worthwhile to see what other brands may have to offer you.  Sometimes seeing and experiencing something new/different can help with the life experiences that you get to tell your circle/inner circle good or bad things about it. For example I have stayed at JW's, RC, even Rens...I life JW & Rens more probably RC is just seems a little too uppity for me but I did enjoy the hotel, some of the staff....so still ready to experience other brands if it works for me.  Good luck & enjoy collecting the badges

Jsucool76 Gold

The wooden Marriott CC is only for gold members. Now that you're all fancy and platinum, you can't get one. Lol

seatexan Platinum

If only I had known before! I'll be gold again in Feb 2018... the wait will be worth it!

YogiB Platinum

So that means I'm eligible to receive one?

insertcoffee Platinum

I don't dislike the badges. And they *would* be fun. The issue for me is that I have to call, call, call for them to happen, and that is super annoying. And of course, Rewards is closed over the weekend, when I'd actually have time for said calls.

If only there was some way to have things like this happen automagically, with, oh I don't know, some sort of programming code or some other newfangled notion...

Catch me if you can, SeaTexan.

brand badges.PNG

I think I'm done collecting the badges now. I've made one stay at an Edition property because I wanted to try the brand. Not sure 25 points and a badge is enough to entice me to spend that kind of money on a second stay.

On the plus side, other than the incorrect info on the non-existent Delta badge, Marriott has been flawless in posting these brand badges to my account as soon as the eligibility requirements were met. Well done IT team (that's not something you hear all the time ).

seatexan Platinum

bejacob oh my gosh!   You have to stay at another Edition!  You are so close! Can you get the gov rate there?  Do we need to start a go find me!?   stay on points??? 

I wonder how many people have as many as you?

one day!!! I'll get there   and I will get the edition!

I was able to use the gov't rate in NYC (otherwise there is no way I could have afforded it). BTW, a points stay doesn't count toward badges. You've got to have 2 "paid" stays. 

If I were to stay at another Edition, I'd probably pick Miami. I'm not saying "never." I just don't see it happening in the near future.

seatexan Platinum

Ah yes I forgot point stays don't count!

beauvallonboy Platinum

bejacob! Congratulations on achieving so many badges! You never know where you next travel may take you and next thing you know you'll get that other badge & then some!

Thanks. It's a pretty meaningless accomplishment, but it gave me an excuse to try out a few places I might not have otherwise considered over the last couple years.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

Very impressive, friend.  Are you ever home?  Happy travels!

This has been a busier year than most for me (almost 60 actual nights stayed). That still means I'm at home about 85% of the time.

Lots of short trips with many one-night stays. I spread my nights across 15 brands this year, so that's part of my secret.

YogiB Platinum

Since we're already way too far into digging up a 2-year old topic and since it's not a really representational survey with only 2 millennials, so I'll way in too.

The badges are just a nice little thing. Like SeaTexan, I won't go out of my way either to get those badges (unless somebody wants to cover the difference in price between a regular Marriott hotel and a Ritz-Carlton?), but I think they're a visual confirmation of the start of being a loyal client to the brand. The brand badges might give some ideas about what other 'formulas' to try out.

It might offer a few challenges (again: without necessarily going out of your way), while it does offer some points. Not a lot, but still good for: 14 brands * 25pts + 375 explorer pts + 400 road warrior pts = 1125 points maximum. That's the same amount you may get after spending a ~110 US$ night (FI / SH / TP ?) Not yet a redemption night worth of points, but better than nothing!

rshally Platinum

So the 1000 night badge = 1000 nights AFTER you opt in for badges?

erc Platinum

Yes, so in 2021, if you stay loyal, you'll have a badge and 250 points. I, of course, will be the owner of a holographic M, which they will grant to those of us who have stayed at all 36 brands .

Very good question rshally.  IMO, for this badge to be meaningful, it should recognize past loyalties to the Marriott Brand.  By the time most of us accumulate another 1000 nights the badge program may be history.

erc Platinum

bpelican

Either the program or the player

Very true.

rshally Platinum

That was my thought as well.  To be meaningful the nights badge should reflect current lifetime nights...  Also not sure why this is an opt-in program (is there a privacy issue with earning badges?).  And if you implement a program mid-year, why not at least grandfather in this year's stays (for the brand badges).  I like the program and it gives me a little more incentive to try out new properties, but think a few of these things could have been thought out a bit more.

samm8910 Platinum 5 Reviews

I am sure my lack of badges has to do with my opt in date. As I have earned one badge but should have had a few others. It is a little disheartening to know that I will have now never get the 1000 night badge, based up my opt in date this year.

fh1greek Platinum

So 1000 nights = a badge and 250pts.  It's like my aunt handing me a quarter and saying get yourself something nice. Cheap.  Loyalty means nothing to this company and this is the latest gimmick that proves it. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...