7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2014 6:57 PM by ks77 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Richmond VA Hotel Recommendations

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

vaboywnder  That is pretty cool. Thanks for the info! BTW, what is your favorite Marriott property in the Richmond area? I grew up in Chesterfield so I know the area and thought I would ask which ones you recommend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Richmond VA Hotel Recommendations
    erc Platinum

ks77

I'll jump in on this one, because usually at this time of day vaboywnder is patching together some high powered computer so the automatic sinks and hand towel machines continue working in the Dean's office.

Two of my favorites are two Residence Inns - Short Pump (near excellent retail/commercial development) and West End, just around the corner from America's #1 Craft Beer Bar  (two years in a row) Mekong on Broad St.

I like the Richmond Marriott as well for going to shows at the Altria Theatre (nee Landmark, nee The Mosque).

If you haven't been back to Southside for awhile, next trip, make sure you swing by Stony Point mall - very nice, specifically the CineBistro, movie theater with food and that's right - good craft beers .

In conclusion - since this two year old thread is titled Paul Mitchell (after J.P. DeJoria's little sauce) a consumer reminder to those of us with declining eyesight (among other skills, but we'll save that for another thread) be careful with those bottles. The print, especially when wet, can be difficult to read, leading to a good Body Lotion shampoo or conditioner .

Ok, vaboy has come down from the cloud and served the server,  he will no doubt be responding soon.

and yes vb - the one piece of computer acronym lingo I know is pebkac .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yes, Stony Point mall is nice. I was in the area last fall and stopped by. I was able to have a great meal with the wife at Flemming's. It was our first time dining at Flemming's as as a steakhouse man I always jump at the chance to try a new one. My steak was delicious, the sides were good and the atmosphere was very comfortable. The service was good too. I recommend it.

erc Platinum

Don't forget Insiders, Flemings (owned by Outback) often sells their giftcards at Costco.

$100 for only $80.  This is even better than the Outback, Carrabas, Bonefish, Roy's (all Outback) deals at Father's Day and Graduations where you get a $10 bonus for every $50 purchased. Stick it to The Man, baby!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ks77... I have to agree Flemings is an excellent place for steaks.  I tried the one in downtown Austin for the first time earlier this month and was really impressed.  I noticed they have one at Stoney Point in Richmond and another one at Tyson's Corner.  Will definitely make a return visit to Flemings in the future!

erc - Great tip on the Gift Card deal!  Currently not a member of Costco but we are suppose to get one in Charlottesville sometime in the near future.  May have to consider signing up for a membership once they arrive here.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Good Stuff erc!  Thanks for watching my back!

ks77 ... As for a favorite Marriott in Richmond I honestly have to say that I don't have one.  I have not been overly impressed with any of the Marriott properties in the Richmond area.  I do agree with erc that  the Richmond Marriott downtown is a well run Marriott if you want to be in the downtown area.  However the Richmond Marriott has expensive parking ($17 day self / $26 a day valet).

I have blacklisted the following Marriott properties in the Richmond area:

Richmond Marriott West-  Hotel staff friendly but is in MAJOR need of renovations. Wall paper is peeling off walls, old tube tvs, etc.  May consider returning if hotel ever performs a renovation.

SpringHill Suites NW- Stayed there shortly after property opened.  Bed was way too firm for my taste and could not sleep. Got a nasty splinter from the furniture. Refrigerator in Room froze everything I put inside of it. Breakfast area was a huge mess.

Courtyard Northwest- Stayed here prior to the recent renovation.  Found significant amount of mold in Bathroom, overall the room was dirty, and noticed that  a condom was floating in the indoor pool. Stayed only the one night and checked out the next day.

There are two descent Courtyard properties in the area that I have had no problems with and they are Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen and the Courtyard Richmond Airport.  However most of the time when I stay in the Richmond area I prefer to be closer to Short Pump and they are a little bit out of the way. Sometime I will have to take erc's advice and try the Residence Inn Northwest.  I'm also tempted to go to the Darkside sometime and try the new Hilton in Short Pump as I have heard really good things about it.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

vaboywnder

That is funny because during that last visit I stayed at the Courtyard Northwest. My room was clean luckily but yes it was nothing special. My room was on the top (4th?) floor but near the ramp for the garbage dumpsters. The only reason I stayed there was the rate was cheap (Sat night stay) and some family members we were meeting up with were staying at the Marriott West that their son's college football team was staying in so they stayed there. Turns out their property wasn't any better (at least to you!) That is why I asked for your opinion because I haven't really heard or experienced for myself any great properties in Richmond. My mother stayed at the Downtown Marriott for a wedding last year and she said it was nice but yes the rate was on the higher end and the parking was expensive. I think for any future stays we may use your recommendations or stay SPG using the wife's status.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...