18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2014 10:25 PM by kbscubadiver RSS

Missing points for "qualifying purchases" at Courtyard?

atlantaguy Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else have problems with "qualifying purchases" at Courtyards?  Just got points posted from a stay earlier this week at the  Gulfport Courtyard Beachfront.  The points awarded did not include the $77.00+ spent in the Cafe Bar(conversion to a Bistro begins soon).  I would have paid cash if I had known this didn't qualify!  I have not pursued the missing points yet. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Missing points for "qualifying purchases" at Courtyard?
    superchief1 Platinum

Unfortunately, MR points aren't allocated for food or other purchases at Courtyards. They are only allocated for the room rates. This is another reason I currently prefer Hilton Garden Inns over Courtyards, especially if I plan to eat a meal at the hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

atlantaguy Platinum

That is what I believed, until I looked at the Marriott Rewards "Earning Points" brand page it shows otherwise now.  The listing clearly puts Courtyard into the qualifying purchase points category.  I thought it was a welcome change to the MR program.  I always would book the breakfast rate in the past or other offers to get maximum points. 

erc Platinum

atlantaguy

Wow, you are correct - that is a change (from the former, 'each $1 spent on Room Rate').

Earn Points for Rewards | Get Marriott Points

Now, the issue is, since they also include several other brands (Fairfield, SpringHill, Ritz, Gaylord, and Moxy) that used to only award points for Room Rate; what is a "qualifying charge"?

skiadcock

Since this is a publicly stated bete noire of yours (go Don Quixote, go) do you want to jump in here? Have you heard anything?

NathalieF  or supersearcher The specified item was not found.  where do we find the list of "Qualifying Charges"?

The T & Cs are a bit squishy   Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions

Thanks for sharing atlantaguy

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I've not heard anything & here's my best guess.

Best case scenario - they're going to allocate points for all spend at those brands now (the Don Quixote view) & it will take time to trickle down to the properties or sort out Marriott's main computer system to change it to like full-service (exclusions will still be parking garages or restaurants run by 3rd parties)

Worst case scenario (and probably more likely) - they changed the verbiage thinking it would sound better, but instead it leaves it totally ambiguous/confusing & will be interpreted different ways by the MR member, MR cust svc, and the property itself.

It's not the first time that's been done & conflicting T&Cs still exist on certain parts of Marriott.com.

But like you erc, I hope that joshm & the communitymanager come back & clarify.

Cheers.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This definitely needs further investigation, the FS brands, Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph and JW are seperated from the customorily room only earnings rules at CY/FI/RC etc. Hopefully NathalieF and/or The specified item was not found.  can clarify because this is certainly new verbiage, though go to the technical T&Cs and it's all the same...

This wouldn't be the first time that the T&Cs regarding the same topic but are listed in different sections of the website say different things.  Just adds to the misinterpretation by all the parties involved & causes more difficulties/confusion.

Cheers.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts! I understand the confusion, and looked into this to see what I could learn. What I did learn is that the format and verbiage has in fact changed, with the intent that the T&Cs and earnings for the properties remain the same.

I've shared this thread, and all of your perspectives, with the Marriott team, as this is definitely something that has caused quite a bit of confusion.

Lindsey, please pass along the feedback that the Marriott team is a bunch of morons.  Who changes the verbiage to something ambiguous if the T&Cs remain the same.  Seriously, that's pretty stoo-pid.  It just results in confusion & frustration amongst the guest, the properties, & MR cust svc - not a good move by the team.

Cheers.

atlantaguy Platinum

Thank you Lindseyh for looking into this.

I cannot find about earning points other than the Earning Points Brand Page.  Nothing else I have found says what is eligible for points, this is very misleading.  I read the terms and conditions page and nothing is addressed about the difference between brands and earning points.  Is there anywhere that explains this?

There used to be, but evidently it was replaced with the new misleading verbiage.  BTW - I too appreciate lindseyh looking into this for us.  But I stand by my comment that it was stoo-pid (spelled deliberately) to replace specific verbiage (room rate only) with vague verbiage (qualifying charges) when the intent was to stay the same. Who makes a change when nothing is changing?  Geesh. I've just scoured the Marriott website & can't find anywhere where they have the old verbiage/detailed which brands offered what in terms of points & if it was room rate or all spend.

Cheers.

dgreen12 Platinum

Might advise Marriott that this may be crossing the line into a deceptive business practice.  In Washington state, it's treble damages and Marriott pays for attorney fees.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  Some states don't look too kindly on deceptive advertising.  It would be to Marriott's benefit to get the specific verbiage reinstated quickly.

Cheers.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with all of the viewpoints expressed.  Even when I was PP elite with Marriott I stopped staying at Courtyards for this very reason.  After all, they make you buy breakfast and if you're in an isolated location (like somewhere 'near' JFK or LGA) dinner, then you find out it doesn't qualify for points.  If the policy has indeed changed, it needs to be spelled out clearly and without any ambiguous wording.  Loyal customers for any 'frequent' program should not have to chase points that are owed them.  If the policy has NOT changed, say so in order for me people to make better decisions than CYs.  It doesn't affect me, but I agree with skiadcock and dgreen that this borders on deceptive business practices.

erc Platinum

Whether this is labelled 'stoo-pid', deceptive, or as I often call these antics of Marriott, too clever by half, it's just another indication of how our relationship of mutual respect for Marriott has eroded over the years (and perhaps a bit naive on my part, but I find it disappointingly sad).

It's somewhat ironic then that when I read todays Washington Post about Travel Companies Behaving Like Toddlers (in how they say no) that Todd Castor, described as a senior director at Marriott, somewhat proudly boasts, "the trick isn't just the reason for a policy, but making the explanation sound reasonable".  Well Mr. Castor, this example above regarding qualifying charges for earning points was a fail (and that's not even commenting about the borderline disingenuousness of the focus being on 'sounding' reasonable vs. actually being reasonable).

Marriott has made it clear (to me, at least), that it's not all that concerned about the loyalty of the boomer generation and is (understandably) chasing the pig in the python segment, the millennials; if this wordplay above is an indication of how Marriott respects the millennial intellect, then shame on them.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree and am very disappointed in the direction Marriott corporate has been headed. Perhaps their location in the DC area has caused them to head down a similar path as our government in which integretity is flaw, not a virtue.

erc Platinum

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn-points/points.mi

Marriott (at least as of today) has changed it back to the original language.

So, as most of us thought, no points for non room rate charges at CY, Ritz, Gaylord and the other bad boys of awards.  Good catch atlantaguy, close, but no cigar. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now you see it, now you don't.

Take your eyes off of the T & Cs and Marriott will 'enhance' .

Maybe it was the mention upthread of deceptive advertising, treble damages in Washington state that got the Marriott team/IT to make the change.  They normally change things that quickly.

Cheers.

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

Did anyone grab a screenshot of the T&C's before Marriott changed them?  If so you would have ammo to get the points credited manually by customer service.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...