48 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2015 3:05 PM by ppino69 RSS

Who is using the new "badges" feature in their account??

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The title says it all... Who is using this?  What badges do you have? 

I meet the qualifications for several badges but I don't have them.  The only badge I have is the "member level exclusive badge".  Are you experiencing this as well?

2014-10-22_21-24-54.png

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Who is using the new "badges" feature in their account??
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

im using it, makes the page more colorful

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

What badges do you have?  I have 1289 nights but I don't have the 1000 night badge.  And I've stayed at 3 different marriotts this month and no badge to reflect it.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

Nobody has the 1,000 night badge..You will only get it once your have stayed 1,000 nights since they started the badge program..last year..No nights before the badge program started counts.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i think badges dont reflect the activity before you opt in. i only got the silver member badge, marriot branded badge and social share badge. I would have had a courtyard badge but the stay was before i opt in

Thats crazy... It gave me the platinum badge and I didn't earn platinum status after opting in to the badge promotion.  You see what I'm saying?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i think those reflect the current status you have when you opt in, so it just gives you the badge for that status. The brand ones you have to earn. I think the point of them not being retro active is so that people who have pretty much done and stayed at all properties dont just automatically get them all at once.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Personally, I think the whole badge thing is an ill conceived concept.  I had forgotten all about it until this thread popped up on the front page.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've earned a few badges. I opted in when the program started. Here's what I've gotten so far.

badges.PNG

I expect to earn a couple more before year end (the Marriott brand badge and the Residence Inn one). With the exception of the 5-brand explorer badge, I had to enlist the help of our communtymanager to get them added to my account. The badges and points aren't worth making changes to travel, though I admit to making a local stay at TPS to earn that badge as well as some bonus points from an ongoing promotion (it was the cheapest local option and I needed an extra night/stay).

The badges above have added 125 points to my account, barely worth the effort. I'll stick with my normal travel habits and earn whichever badges I can, but I can only envision a few instances where I might alter which property I choose in the hopes of earning more badges (if I need one more stay at a brand or one more brand to reach the 10-brand badge, I might consider it).

I'm sure Marriott hopes we'll all be badge collectors. For those who want the whole set, I can see the appeal. The points certainly aren't an incentive.

Message was edited by: bejacob

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Kinda like Boy Scout "Merit Badges", which were essential in pursuit of "Eagle Scout" recognition - don't think this is the intention of the Marriott badges.

prost Gold 2 Reviews

I'm in the same boat as you kbscubadiver, only have the P badge.  Looks like you get badges for what you do after you opt in...which means I'm likely not going to pay much attention to it at this point. 

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

Yea, i have about 6 badges and that's going to be about it. i will get the stay badges after i reach that stay requirement. Don't think i will get the CY badge as i refuse to stay and pay the price with now free breakfast.

dadameich Gold 4 Reviews

I signed up for it just because it was little effort for a few extra points.  We already have badges on here, why wouldn't they transfer them over to show them here as well.  I just don't quite understand the point, but I guess if it encourages a few people to try out hotels that they've never stayed in before, then it's all worth it.  Reminds me of Office Space... we all need more flair.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I was messing about on marriott.com recently and found the badges, and signed up. So far just 2 badges, Plat and Marriott. At some points I'll get the Ren and the Autograph because these are the properties I stay at. I'm in Canada for a month next year and stays at RI, TPS, FFI and CY are planned. My Southern Europe stays may well see me in an AC and possibly a Vacation club property, and if I really take leave of my financial senses, a Ritz, though I doubt I'd ever pay! I'll have a big badge collection then, though not so many points, all that activity, maybe 225 points, I might as well charge a burger and beer to my room! Definitely one for the collectors, not the points!

erc Platinum

brightlybob

Join us at the Insiders Get Together, next Friday 6 pm - Edgar Bar at the Mayflower Hotel.

Take Amtrak from 30th St. Station to Union Station.

Take Metro Red Line from Union Station to Farragut North.

Walk two blocks up Connecticut Avenue - Mayflower on the right.

Panel discussion on badges lead by erc and bejacob

HAHA!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sure, I'll take up the "pro" side of the badges argument. Just don't expect me to put too much effort into that argument.

I'll admit to collecting them. I'll admit to grabbing the miniscule points that go along with them. What you won't see me do is go out of my way to make any kind of stay just to earn those "stinkin' badges." If that were the case I'd have earned the FFI one by now. Funny thing is that since opting in for the badges, I haven't even made one stay at a FFI. I'm sure that as part of my county collecting trips, I'll end up with a couple stops at the brand, but given the choice, I'll pick a CY and the 400 point Platinum arrival gift over a badge worth 25 points (for two visit to FFIs) any day. The math don't make no sense. Lose out on a potential 400 points just to earn 25 and the "bragging rights" for a badge. Pshaw!

Earning the badges doesn't cost me anything I wouldn't already be spending, so why not collect them. The few extra points don't hurt, but even earning all the possible points available would barely move the needle on my account. Opt in and see what your travels earn. LIke brightlybob, I think the idea of making two stays at the Ritz for 25 extra points is beyond crazy (though I do like the burger and beer idea ). Oh, and lest I forget the social badge. Ain't nothing going to get me to participate in PointsPlus, so that badge will forever be beyond my reach.

I am in favor of the badges, though I think its unfortunate that Marriott didn't decide to offer better rewards to try to convince us to earn them. I'll stick with trying to squeeze a few extra points out of the MegaBonuses. At least the points there are still somewhat meaningful.

erc, I'm looking forward to our panel discussion. Once we exhaust the badges topic (which should take all of about 5 minutes), we can move on to discussing local craft beers. Depending on how many we sample, that might go on for most of the evening.

erc Platinum

Great, sounds like a plan.

WARNING: No matter how many we discuss (or consume), no badges will be earned .

jimbomarie Platinum 4 Reviews

Bejacob,

Thanks for contributing all your responses.  I am a Platinum and less tun 25,000 MR points from Lifetime PLATINUM status.  I understand Marriott assigns Points for these badges, but do they award Marriott Rewards points for any badges?

Yes, but the points awarded as very small (typically about 25 points per badge). Not really worth going after. I've earned a few in my normal travels. 25 points is sort of like finding a penny. You need to find a whole lot of them before you have enough to buy anything useful.

I haven't checked the numbers, but if you were to try to earn a bunch of badges you might end up with a couple hundred points, not enough to do anything. To reach the 25k you need, badges aren't going to help. Of course you could go after them for the fun of earning them.

kristibgm Platinum

oh WOW that sounds like FUN, but missed it by 6 months-- alittle to late... wonder if it was fun evening!!

someone should organize a FUN get together again to meet and laugh at all this craziness

2travelforever Platinum 1 Reviews

When did the badges start? 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I signed up and have badges for:  Platinum, Marriott, MVC, RC, and 5-brand explorer.  I am not a big fan of CY so probably won't be getting that badge anytime soon.  Maybe will get FFI and SHS if I'm in an area without full-service hotels.  Probably will eventually get AC and Ren.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Thanks for posting. While the "brand" badges are not necessarily an incentive to book reservations for points accumulation, at least it's another attempt to develop brand loyalty, much like "airline frequent flyer" programs. For me, it was somewhat of a surprise to see 25 additional points posted to my account. I had to look up the badge program to see why I had received these.

You might have seen also that for 10-14 brand participation, you enter the "Brand Explorer" status, achieving an additional 75-250 points/stay at Marriott hotels.

chris0311 Platinum

Hrmm, 75-250 extra points per stay? I must be the type of person Marriott is targeting then because that kinda changes things for me. The collector in me is twitching

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Fred, If your reference to points/stay means that you are earning 75-250 points/stay, I'm afraid that is incorrect.  You only earn the 75 points once when you earn the 10 brand explorer badge and the 250 points once when you've tried every brand.  These are one time badges/earnings, not something received with each stay. Small earnings barely worth discussing.  I only make the effort to clarify so that you and others won't be expecting something (no matter how small) that you won't receive.

Thanks for pointing out the Brand Explorer status extra points.  I am 1 hotel away from that.  It may be hard for me to get that anytime soon. 

Question, has any one tried to log on the the Social Share button?  It says, "Currently unavailable."  What is the point of having it, if it is not available.  It has been out of commission for quite awhile.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

i must have opted in when i was drunk cause i cant remember doing it but i have 4 badges and  earned a massive 100 point bonus

kristibgm Platinum

that is SO funny!!! I have NO idea how I get these badges. Maybe I was drunk to 1 night and somehow did something to get/sign up for them....as long as the badges do NOT eat my points ... then I do not mind them hanfing around...LOL.  I do not understand the program or how it was started..  all I know is every once inawhile I read I got a handful of points

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I did sign up but don't pay any attention to it

That's the best way to do it. The points aren't worth enough to make any effort to earn them. Earn whatever badges (and points) you get through your normal travels and forget the rest.

Here's my updated tally

badges2.PNG

I haven't stayed at a FFI since the badges began, and see no reason to go out of my way to to do. Let's see, 25 points for staying twice at a FFI (along with the 400 Platinum arrival bonus points for 2 stays) or 1000 arrival points from staying at 2 full service properties (or 800 at 2 CYs). Doesn't take much effort figure out which makes more sense from an earning perspective.

I expect I'll earn the FI badge eventually. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to book two nights at the Ritz so I can earn the RC badge and 25 points.

Jsucool76 Gold

They should send marriott lanyards and hotels should give you a little pin for that hotel when you stay there....now we're talking.

#CollectorsItems xD

jersey_girl Platinum 1 Reviews

I love that you can post pictures of your badges here.  I cant figure out how to do that..

that said, it is a fun way to track where we have been.  I am the proud owner of the explorer badge along with a few of the others... and the 50 points that come with it... that was a surprise.  Not that I would go out of my way for the badge but if I can make it happen, why not..

The should do lanyard or a pin.. that would be cool..

Has anyone clicked on to the Social Share button?  Didn't work for me.

yager.ej. Platinum

I don't think the points are worthwhile, but as someone who enjoys the chase, I've been getting them as travel works out.  I am not actively seeking them as the points aren't enough for me to chase.  I should hit Plat lifetime this year (taking me a little over 8 years to do so).  My badges to date, for which I am missing one are as follows:

Badges.jpg

I opted in back in early September, and have stayed at more than 5 brands, but no 5 brand explorer badge, I contacted CS 3 months ago, and there is some problem which they can not figure out.  I send them a status email each month, but still no go. 

Also, when I make a reservation, I am no longer getting email confirmations.  Anyone else have this issue?

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey yager.ej., I'd be happy to have our team look into the missing badge and email confirmations issues. Just DM me with your Rewards number and I'll pass this on to them.