12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2014 8:17 PM by jerryl RSS

Missed flight because...you can't find the airport?!?!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Missed flight because...you can't find the airport?!?!
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Definitely a possibility.  I've had problems more than one time in Minneapolis.  Two terminals several miles apart.

Another colleague was trying to find Tucson airport in the dark.  No street lights to help find the way.

Thank goodness for GPS, but even they are fallable.  Trying to find one of the car rental dropoffs in Newark had me in a circular route.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelinvix Platinum

I had a similar problem in Australia a few years ago. My Quantas flight from Sydney to Cairns left from the international terminal rather than the domestic terminal, because following a layover in Cairns it continued on internationally (to Tokyo, I believe). We almost missed the flight, since that was the final in a long line of issues we ran into that day, but we made it!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ks77, and randomname,

As crazy as this sound, I had the same problem in Minneapolis.  When one prints out you boarding pass, 24 hours in advance, make sure you know what terminal at any airport.   It is really horrible to go to the wrong terminal and have to shuttle to the correct one!

BTW, if you are going to fly Delta out of LHR to Atlanta, they are moving that flight from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3!  I wonder how many people will show up at wrong terminal!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yes I know the same thing occurs at EWR. United has all of terminal C however, they use terminal A for a lot of their United Express flights. It is easy to get used to going to A and then you don't double check the board until after security and boom you have to take the shuttle to C to catch your flight.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

that was the same problem recently in Chicago. Us air moved to  the American terminal but the car rental shuttle still have the drop at the old terminal luckily I had seen a sign on arrival so I stayed on the bus

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Very plausible ks77!  I'm sure many local people don't even know how to get there... I went there a few times so I have a pretty good idea where it is, but if you ask my wife?  I doubt she'll even know what that is. 

I can see why people would get confused because it's buried in a residential area and is a bit off the freeway, but getting there isn't as complicated as the article makes it sound.

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 9.29.31 PM.png

The routing from Waikiki is even easier, but the purpose of the airport isn't to serve the downtown area.  It's meant to serve the community in which it's located. 

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Well, I've seldom missed a flight due to airport location; however, I agree some are more difficult to navigate to than others, Nice, France, for instance. Some of you might remember when the metropolitan airports were located nearer to the heart of the city, like in Toronto, Seattle, Dallas, Denver etc., but relocated to the suburb for expansion (and traffic) reasons, and this has complicated travel somewhat.

When leaving from remote locations, such as Milwaukee,  Portland, OR,  Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Paris, Venice, Milan, London, Amsterdam,  Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, to name just a few, I normally return my rental car and stay overnight at airport hotel, and take the hotel shuttle to airport at designated time, well in advance of flight departure time. Even having to navigate city traffic in early-morning departures at the beginning of my trip, I usually stay at a hotel near the Atlanta Airport.  This also reduces quite a bit of tension in flying!

There are so many directional signs to follow when approaching the airport, with different terminals, such as Atlanta, Toronto, Gatwick (London), Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.,  and often times I have to circle the airport to exit properly to return my auto, pick up incoming passengers, etc.  Also, due to security reasons, you can no longer linger at the airport, but have to park at a nearby, remote area (often designated "Cell Phone Lot") and wait to be called to approach the airport.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is a great tactic. It might sound silly but I live about 20 mins south of EWR and I have twice stayed a the EWR Marriott the night before an early morning flight the following day. The way I look at it, for a honeymoon or vacation I planned a year in advance, I am NOT risking missing the flight due to a car not starting, flat tire, car service not showing up, etc. I know that may sound silly but not to me. If I am spending thousands on a trip I am really looking forward to I am not going to miss my outbound flight for some silly reason and this keeps that from happening.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ks77,

Agree with you and always do the same!

Peace of mind!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I've done the same a couple of times, ks77 . I don't live too far from the PDX airport, but have stayed nearby the night before a flight just to ensure I'm on time. Agree, it's a great tactic!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

One other practice I find useful especially in international travel:  I live in Chattanooga, some 100+ miles from both Atlanta - my normal point of departure for European airports - and the connecting flights from our smaller city are not always reliable in leaving, or being on time. The same is true with those connecting from Tallahassee to Atlanta, especially since Delta reduced some of its outbound flights to Atlanta in recent years.

I was traveling with a business associate several years ago to Manchester, England, and his flight was delayed from Tallahassee, and he had to book a later Delta flight. He finally arrived in Atlanta and there was no open gate for the plane to dock. He was calling me on cell phone to request that Delta hold the international flight for him. When he arrived at the terminal, I was on the plane (in business class) and I advised the stewardess my friend was on his way to the gate. The airplane door was closed just as my friend arrived at the departure gate and neither the agent inside, nor the pilot would open the door, so my friend had to take a later flight via Paris and arrived in Manchester a day late. Needless to say, he was furious!

For this reason, I usually not only stay at the airport the night before I depart,  but I also don't rely on commuter, connecting flights, especially when flying internationally!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...