5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2014 3:18 PM by jm1991 RSS

Hertz offer is a RIP OFF! For Corporate Wasteland only.

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Received an email today from Marriott Rewards "Limited Time - Big Savings and Points with Hertz".  Well, first off, this is the same offer that's been in place all year and maybe longer- 2,000-5,000 bonus points and 35% off Hertz's industry leading highest rate.

I have three upcoming trips, including rental cars.  I checked all three, and Hertz's discounted rates for this promotion is MORE than DOUBLE what I can pay at Budget/Alamo/Enterprise via Costco Travel (or other sites for that matter).  As an example, my trip next weekend is $186 for a three day rental with Hertz's 35% off rate vs. $70 with Budget on Costco Travel.  Both rates includes all taxes.  So, to get 5,000 bonus points, I would be paying $116, or 2.32 cents per point.  Can't you buy points on Marriott for 1.25 cents per point?  Seems like a waste of money.

If you are considering this promo and actually paying for the rental yourself - check other websites for competing car rental rates to calculate if it's worth it to rent from Hertz, because I guarantee you, Hertz will be nowhere near the cheapest option.

If the company you work for is paying for it, by all means, get on that yellow bus,  continue to waste your company's money for your own benefit and collect your bonus points!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hertz offer is a RIP OFF! For Corporate Wasteland only.
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Wally,

I have noticed the same thing and as a result, I never consider the Hertz deals through Marriott.  The one time I rented with the Marriott code, I never received the bonus points.  I did not know about Costco travel.  I'll have to check them out.  I wonder if razorbackfan, currently looking for rental car deals, might be interested in checking them out too.  Thanks for the info.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I use Hertz for nearly all of my car rentals.  I use the AAA rate, usually accompanied by the Promotional coupon, and I choose to earn Hertz points towards future free rentals.  I've used them before and I enjoy a long weekend trip paying just for gas.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I would gladly try the Costco Travel rates if we had a Costco here.  There are plans to build one soon (and it will be closer to our house than Sam's), so I might even get a membership sooner rather than later. When we go to Maui, we are always sorry we can't go to the Costco across the street from the Courtyard.  Pineapples are supposed to be a good buy there.  Sam's used to have a travel site with good prices.

I have found some much better off-airport rates in Florida (various cities).  We are still not sure when or where we are going, so I have not made any reservations yet.  Hawaii has once again entered the discussion.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

All I found when attempting to use this promo rate is "not available during your rental" or something similar....so I gave up completely and went away from it.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i found the code to be very helpful not long ago. was cheaper or comparable to the other prices like budget or enterprice with aaa. I decided to go with hertz for the 5k points which i would not be getting with the other companies.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...