16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2014 5:34 PM by californian RSS

Are you taking additional precautions due to ebola?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have some trips planned and am trying to figure what precautions I can take to prevent contracting ebola.  I understand that bleach will kill it so taking bleach soaked whips probably would be a good idea.  Rubber gloves?  Hand sanitizer?

I heard that the virus can stay alive for hours on a hard surface and for days in liquid form or on cloth.  This means that you really have to be more careful every where.  You have no idea who touched what you will be touching.  Sitting on a cloth seat that someone sat in before you.  What is that puddle on the lav floor?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are you taking additional precautions due to ebola?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm going to Dallas in Nov and SC in Dec...driving...feel safer...not safe, but safer.  Heading to Calif in Feb...flying...at least that my plan for now.  Fortunately I fly SWA so changes pose no problem.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Just heard on the radio and we have a possible case in Southern California.  It appears like it won't be long before it will be hard to stay away from.

I have some trips coming up that my cancellation policy probably won't cover and so most likely will go.  Just trying to figure how best to protect myself.  On the other hand if people in hazmat suits catch it, do I have a chance? 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

you make an interesting point.  How do you protect yourself?  Just read another entry that this isn't like AIDS.  Difficult to detect, even more difficult to avoid.

I think this will go beyond travel.  What about eating in a restaurant?  Yesterday in picking a place to eat lunch, I choose a Japanese restaurant knowing that they are known to be extra clean.  Every place one goes, they touch things that someone has touched before them.  I read that we should always carry a pen and when asked to sign, use our own as opposed to one that has been touched by how many people.  It is precautions like this that I hope others will share.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

News came out today that the guy who was in Liberia and now in a hospital in California is negative for ebola.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I posted this on another thread relating to Ebola:

My employees are starting to concerned too. Some have scheduled audits in Dallas in a couple of weeks and I told them if they feel uncomfortable, they can cancel and reschedule when this thing is contained. I am in travel status right now and have to admit, with the news stories each day, I am getting a little concerned myself (but not in panic mode). Just flying around the country has me nervous since they keep changing in the information on how this can be spread (apparently some are saying it can be spread by airborne transmission). Misinformation and too much headline news will eventually have everyone in a panic and I can see travel being reduced substantially. Figures, after 80 nights of travel for work, I finally have a nice vacation planned with my wife in a couple of weeks to Aruba and she is getting a little nervous about getting on the airplane. Can't live your life between 4 walls. Some risk involved with every reward I guess. I just hope they can develop a vaccine soon.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes. I am taking an extra effort to ignore the panic.

Do you realize that there were more deaths from fire ant bites in the US than in people who contracted ebola in the US?

Travel Insurance

Standard Trip Cancellation policies do not cover cancellation due to Ebola, unless you contract the virus and become unexpectedly ill. If this is your concern, you must purchase your policy before your illness is documented or diagnosed.

Canceling a trip due to fear of contracting Ebola is not a covered reason under any travel insurance policy. If you want to cancel your trip because you are worried about the Ebola outbreak, we recommend purchasing a policy with the Cancel for Any Reason upgrade.

barrpat Platinum 7 Reviews

Not yet. We ARE concerned about leaving the U.S. for planned travel to areas of our beautiful planet where soap and water are luxuries for the masses.

I read your post and IF this thing can survive on clothing and cloth surfaces I am a little more concerned with seeing those who work in the healthcare field(cleaning staffers too) at the gas station, the grocery store, and at lunch with those scrub outfits and lab coats that they then go from patient to patient in.

When they were reporting, I got the idea that when contaminated liquids remain wet, the virus can live for days however when on a hard surface it can live for hours.  I would assume that when cloth dries, it might be the same as on a hard surface.  But who knows, I am not sure the "experts" really know for sure. 

nstraveler Platinum 14 Reviews

No- I still don't kiss or share bodily fluids with strangers when I travel. For those who enjoy worrying, look a the stats on Malaria- take malaria prophylaxis and get a flu shot for safe travels!

I was on a plane departing from Miami.  We were delayed so paramedics could come on.  A 3 year boy had a fever, was dehydrated and vomited all over the area of his seat.  They removed him and also much of the seat loaded more passengers to replace his family.  The plane too off 2 and a half hours late.  The question, was he in West Africa. Are they looking for me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...