8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2014 8:35 AM by ssindc RSS

Non-responsive concierge - any suggestions?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, this is a first for me...

So I've booked a couple of rooms in the UK (at the Swindon Marriott)...  And I wanted/needed some tourist/transportation advice, so I figured I'd touch base with the concierge.

• Well, you can't find email contact information for the concierge (or anyone at the hotel) on the hotel web site. Go figure....
    • I understand they're trying to reduce spam, but there are solutions for that.
    • And, just to review:
      • Email = free.  Email is not time zone sensitive.  (It doesn't matter if we're not in the same time zone.)
      • International telephone calls = not free.  And working hours don't always align across continents....
  • So, I call the Platinum line, and they give me an email address for the concierge at the hotel.
  • I send an email - a specific, rather lengthy request for assistance.
    • I also point out that I'm a platinum premier and a lifetime platinum.  (Maybe that was a mistake.)
  • No response....
  • After more a week, nothing....
  • It does make one wonder:
    • Maybe the concierge doesn't receive/read emails....
    • Maybe the hotel doesn't have a concierge....
    • How am I supposed to interact with the hotel in advance????

Wow.  Speechless.  Flummoxed.

Open to suggestions.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Swindon, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Swindon Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Non-responsive concierge - any suggestions?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Call the hotel.  (Sigh.)  Ask them about communicating by email.  Or first you might try calling the Plat line again and inquiring as to whether or not there is an alternate email address listed.  I would be flummoxed also.  I have always received replies when I have contacted a FS property overseas by email (though I have only done it 6-8 times, so maybe I've just been fortunate?)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

That's my experience too.  I have never been kept waiting for a reply for more than a day.

sg1974 Gold

Surprising to hear this. I've stayed there several times and the staff have been friendly & helpful.

i Have had extended waits when I have emailed hotels in Spain & Italy.

recently I contacted 3 Spanish hotels, 2 of them got back in a timely manner. I am yet to hear from the other one though!

im sure josh will be able to help you out.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Call, something must have gone wrong here, wrong email? Your email ended up as spam via the filter?

Definitely NOT the norm.

MInd you, Swindon is one of the Low-end Marriotts in the UK. Make no mistake, that's no insult, it's furnished properly, as clean as you'd excpect, aircon (via exterior wall vent) in every room. But no concierge desk, just a reception, 1 restaurant, 1 bar and a pretty small swimming pool means it's not the most salubrious of Marriott's offerings in the UK.

Swindons claim to fame is its pivotal position in Isambard Kingdom Brunels Great Western Railway, which is commerated admirably in the excellent "Steam" museum. There's a couple of lovely stately homes nearby and the famous stone age white horses are a short drive. Stonehenge is less than an hours southerly drive. The dreamy spires of Oxford likewise, but northerly.

FInally, visitors to Swindon need to be warned of the infamous "magic roundabout" a road junction near the town centre consisting of a large central roundabout in the middle of 5 smaller satelliite roundabouts. This no doubt seemed a good idea to planners, but for the uncertain visitor, or "hire car jockey" is a nightmare as the locals whiz around the dauntingly complex intersection...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree with the other posts. I have contacted the concierge at a few properties and have been quite satisfied with not only the timeliness of the response but also the ability for them to deliver what I am requesting.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I must admit, it felt like having sand kicked in my face, now that I've received the computer generated "Travel Brilliantly - Your stay + things to do: Swindon Marriott Hotel" email, which, again, only permits me to correspond with the hotel through an international telephone number.

Of course the email offers me the opportunity to engage with the unhelpful, virtual concierge, which offers me up-charged services, but no human interaction.

Well there's a first time for everything - and this is the first time I can remember in years - where it's proven impossible to deal with a non-US hotel by email in advance of my trip.  How very 20th Century!!!

Looking in the mirror, I'm slightly disappointed that I was too petulant to swallow the cost of the international telephone call (only to find the person I needed to talk to wouldn't be available....), but ... it's the principle of the thing (which, as I've always told my boys is silly - that's why the call it cutting off your nose to spite your face)...

Enough whining... Looking forward to being back in the UK!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

ssindc But why should you have to bear the cost of an international call, the vagaries of different time zones etc?  And then, as you rightly say, find no-one is available.  This is an age of technology, and it should be simple for Marriott to put an email address on every hotel's website.  If I were trying to contact a hotel in another country, I would feel exactly as you do.

I just want to assure you that not all Marriotts in the UK are this inneficient.  And I hope you enjoy your time in the UK!

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Unfortunate experience, no doubt!  However, I've mostly done my own travel plans, and have offered via "Insiders" a few suggestions regarding England, particularly for this area of the UK, which you might find helpful. In the past, I've also benefited from staying in local B&B's, instead of hotels, and the owners welcome the opportunity to guide you regarding places to eat and visit:

EXPERIENCING ENGLAND -1