12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2014 10:11 PM by jm1991 RSS

Checkin Remotely without actual arrival?

vermeer Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I recently found a fantastic EHD for a Marriott Property.  My question is if it is possible to receive credit for the stay without actually staying at the hotel.  I know that there are some instances at other hotel chains where it is possible to call and ask if the hotel will check you in if it is explained that you had a last minute issue and also that you were hoping for the night to be posted in order to retain/earn elite credit.

Is this possible with Marriott?  Any caveats?  The rate for the hotel night was $1 !

Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Checkin Remotely without actual arrival?
    erc Platinum

First off, what is an EHD and how do I get me one of those?!    Wow, $1.

Second, the policy is that you must stay in the room to get the credit (according to the rules that Marriott sets, even if you paid the cancellation fee for a no show, i.e. the full rate, you don't get nights or room rate points - you would, of course get credit card points).

Third, there have been examples of folks getting points and nights without staying in the room (often someone else is staying there and checked in). I haven't heard of the hotel checking anyone in and them securing elite night credit, so I'll be interested in what others have observed.

Fourth, the caveat, of course, is someone smacking you for trying (however unlikely, it is a caveat). It's Marriott's game, they set the rules and one of those rules is that they can kick us out of the program if they want (yeah, yeah, I know, unlikely, but it is what it is).

Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have not heard of a room rate at $1 - please share.

That being said I do not see how you can get Elite night credit for a room rate of $1.  Heavily discounted rates are usually paid for in bulk or by a company (the government, airlines, etc) and do not count towards elite night credit.

For a normal rate, if you really need a couple nights, find the cheapest hotel in an area either close to you or someone that can check in for you.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Okay, my curiousity is piqued as well.  How did you find that $1 room rate?  We MRIs would like to know!

vermeer Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi, thank you for your replies.  As for Elite credit, that was just an excuse to use for asking to be checked in.  Would I earn points for this stay? Is it worth it?  Those are the real questions. :-)  As for EHD, I am happy to share if you direct message me.  Thank you again!

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Now you have my curiosity too. Rate of $1 !!!! I will have to direct message you just our of curiosity.

As for your question, in the past I have been in the same position where I needed one extra night for elite status and was also wondering if there was a way to check-in remotely without actually staying at the hotel. I never found a way to do this so if anyone knows, please post but I don't think it is possible.

I would say no.  Rules state that you have to stay in the room, which means, at a minimum, physically going to the room with a key and opening the door.  I could see a scenario where a hotel will check you in "manually" if you convince them to help you.  But other than that, people that need the points or elite nights just purchase a cheap room or hold a small meeting at a Fairfield Inn (and get 10 nights credit).

The real question comes down to the rate.  Marriott is not going to give you points on a one dollar rate - or a $39 dollar rate, etc.  Even if they did, that's 10 points, 15 if you are platinum.  You could "Follow" the hotel on Twitter and earn 25 points much easier.

Update....I forgot about the possible 500 or so Platinum Bonus points you might get for checking in.  But this falls into the same category - you do not get those bonus points when staying on heavily discounted rates. You would be relying on some pretty heavy "over the phone negotiations" on that end.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

While I think the hotel is probably going to balk at a $1 rate as it's an obvious error, your comments about not getting points for $39 stays or not getting 500 pts for PAG are incorrect.  The PAG literally has nothing to do with the rate.  Also, some people have managed to get stays down to $39 via Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee/Look No Further & received night & points credit as well as all elite bennies.

To answer the OP's specific question - yes, you need to check in in order to get credit & the odds of a property letting you check in remotely on a $1 rate probably are in line with when hades freezes over.

Cheers.

I would agree that you will get points for a $39 rate if booked normally on Marriott website, but I have not seen room rates that low since....well, I have never seen a Marriott hotel that low.  Lowest I have booked or considered was $49 for the South Bend Marriott in 1991, when I stayed there for three weeks.

Let me know where those $39 hotels are!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

As I mentioned, people have gotten $39 rates using LNF.  They're listed in the thread on Flyertalk.  It's not every property every time, but I know one FTer in particular who's done a good job of getting rates like that on his stays.  My guess is that it might be on weekend stays, although I'd have to look at the thread to tell.

Cheers.

kbscubadiver Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow! $1 for a night?? Do tell!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm guessing EHD stands for "Extreme Hotel Deals" and your $1 Marriott Property was this Courtyard property:

Marriott Courtyard San Jose Alajuela $1 - Extreme Hotel Deals

Your posting about earning Elite Credit  for a nights stay when actually not present made me curious about the Marriott Mobile Application "Check In" Feature for Full Service Marriotts.  If a customer does "Check In" on the mobile application I wonder if this would count for the elite credit if they do not show up to pick up the room keys from the front desk. 

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

just do it and find out, its only $1 after all. Unless they charge you full price if you dont show up lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...