10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2016 11:07 AM by rose77 RSS

Marriott Destinations Program

socaldude Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I have slowly realized that I made a terrible mistake joining the Marriott Destinations Program.  The website is a joke, the program is difficult to use and I have much less flexibility than I used to have with Marriott Rewards Points.  I have complained about the program but apparently there is no interest at the corporate level to change it.  The spin off seems to have changed the corporate philosophy of keeping customers happy.  Are there as many unhappy Destinations members as I think there are and what have you done to help get yourself out of this situation?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Destinations Program
    coupons Gold

We did not join the DP program.  We own only one timeshare and use it every year.  We do know people who own several timeshares and are happy that they joined b/c of the flexibility of the program.  We have also heard people complain that they have issues getting properties that they used to get pre-DP.  My hubby and I have gone to several presentations in an attempt to get a better handle on the DP program-most recently this past Sept here in NY.  We were encouraged to buy points so that we could have flexibility.  They were offering substantial rewards to do so but ultimately we chose not to join.  Sorry you have buyer's remorse

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

I was a multi-week owner that converted to Destinations and have been very happy with the program changes. I have even gone a step further and purchased DC points. I find the program to be very flexible and easy to use. My concern with your post is your statement that " . . . and I have much less flexibility than I used to have with Marriott Reward Points." Reward points and DC are two totally separate programs. The only thing common to the programs is that you can convert DC points into Marriott Reward points. Without a doubt, there was a learning curve for time share weeks and the Marriott Rewards program. With the conversion to DC there was more learning to be done. If you have invested money into Marriott time shares, I would encourage you to take the time to learn how to use them. Places to learn: Marriott time share sale persons (we have had many enjoyable/educational meetings with sales persons that we did not purchase from.), this forum, Timeshare users Group (tug2.net), people you meet at Marriott time shares.

superchief1 Platinum

I know there is some confusion regarding Marriott Rewards points and Destination Club points. For a timeshare owner, the only advantage for MR points is that they don't expire, while DC points expire at the end of the year following their usage year. The value of MR points has greatly diminished for MVC owners as the points have been greatly devalued. The number of MR points received for converting an MVC week has never increased. Therefore, DC points are much more valuable than MR points as long as you use them before they expire.

It would be great if the DC points had no expiration date or at least could be used for up to 5 years.  

superchief1 Platinum

Update:

MVC has made some modifications to the DC points program. Those at the Chairman level can now bank their points for up to 2 years, which is a good improvement. I now can use points over a four year period (1 year prior, owned year, 2 years following).

spikeintherye Member

You bet.  Just actively revoked my membership.

margueriteabel Gold

I too am disappointed in the Destinations Program.  We are at the Chairman level and have over 23,000 points.  We bought into the Destination Program as we thought it would be more flexible.  My husband has a business trip to San Antonio for which I am going to join him the weekend following his meetings.  The Destination Program is able to get us a room for Sat, Sun and Monday, but not for Friday.  The hotel has rooms on Friday (we could pay for it) but they will not let us use our destination points.  This program may be slightly more flexible, but still not flexible enough.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I always have better luck calling the MVC reps rather than using the website.  They can usually find openings that the website just doesn't show.

rose77 Gold

We recently added D.C. with the Encore package and keep our original plan with the option of using points or depositing our week into Interval. We've opted to use Interval this year because our points won't get you squat other than flexibility. We always stay a full week in Ko'Olina or Maui or Kauai via Interval and have never had a problem. The sales reps will tell you it's impossible to get Hawaii through Interval which is not true.

starryeyedwonder Platinum

Rose,

What dates do you usually find available for Hawaii?  I have been looking for past 3 months, so far no vacancies at all.

Thanks

rose77 Gold

Our family went to Ko'Olina in Dec 2014. Went again to Ko'Olina in May 2015. Went back in December 2015 and May 2016 and again in Dec 2016.

In previous years we went to Kauai and Maui as well as Ko'Olina usually in the last part of May and early December.. All trips were made by depositing our Palm Desert week(s) in Interval. Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...