9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2014 1:29 PM by skiadcock RSS

Why is FFI Mississauga and Oakville not offering 48 hour availability?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am visiting friends in the Oakville/Mississauga, (Canada) area next year and the 2 most convenient hotels are the 2 Fairfields, and was looking for prices in mid July/Aug, yet there's no availability at either for this time, not for points. Have both of them really been granted several weeks of exemptions from the no blackout rule? If so, it makes a complete mockery of it, and talking about a mockery, what's become of the 48 hour availability at thsee 2 venues? These barely bother with 48-weeks! Can NathalieF, or The specified item was not found. ask a few questions, please?

The no blackout and 48 hour availability rules seem to be being outrageously flouted at both these places...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why is FFI Mississauga and Oakville not offering 48 hour availability?
    erc Platinum

brightlybob

erc's edit (after re-reading the above post)

boy, talk about your mumble, jumble. My apologies, I misread your post (thought you wanted points). For cash jump down to IAHFLYR's two links - we've been noticing this the past year or so - several properties without availability, 6-8 -11 months out.

Sorry for the confusion.

My friend, you're not going to like this answer - but there is no answer (except corp speak, mumble jumble).

First off -  both the Oakville Mississauga and the Mississauga FFI's can be had for cash or points in August (not July, you are correct) if you use  My Dates Are Variable. Also as you'll see below, sometimes the Plat line can squeeze a few nights out for you.

Second - some properties are under the "ooga booga" clause of Capacity Control, which in effect says, "go pound rocks, we'll do what we please" (see tker below)

Here's tker's cogent answer (from experience)

There are no black out dates for reward nights. However, they are capacity controlled. That means that fewer nights are available during high season etc. When I have needed award stays and they were not available, the Plat line has called to try to get them. Success has been variable. The less nights you need the better as well as fewer the rooms. If you need one room for one night, you might get lucky. If you are trying to get 4 rooms for a week, you might have trouble. Good luck!

Third - many properties now days don't even bother posting award days this far out if they don't want - heck, some don't even post availability (cash) as in your case of wanting to secure a reservation.

Availability in Costa Rica nearly a year out

answer given for above - it's a new property and they're just loading up

Not Available For Check-In

answer given for above - it's a Vacation Club and they're a different breed of animal

but I have had The specified item was not found. research this a couple of times (NY and New Orleans) and they just feed him lines about "the system" or "they just haven't done it yet". Some properties load up availability but at $9,999 a night!

IAHFLYR has dug deep for a year seeking guidance in this area - to no avail

and Fourth - some properties (although I can't imagine lil ol' FFIs) don't even play by the No Black Out rule (Grand Flora Rome for example)

Insiders, I contacted our Guest Services team regarding this property and here is what I learned: this is an extremely popular location, and it is unfortunately one of our properties that does not participate in our "no Black Out Dates" policy. To use points for a standard redemption at this hotel it is best to book your reservation as far out as possible. ADTMarriott, your suggestion that you could use the Gift Checks is an excellent suggestion, and will work on any publicly available room rate you book at the Grand Flora. Regards, Laura

Good luck toward landing some July nights, (they'll no doubt post later on).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the mention!

Have you called Marriott reservations yet? Tell them you cannot even see paid stays. IMHO you should be seeing them now for a property in North America.

Curious as the their response.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Wondering if they loaded their inventory yet.  Sometimes nothing shows - paid or otherwise - when they haven't gotten it loaded.

Cheers.

erc Platinum

That has been one of the replies by properties that has been given before, "we haven't loaded our dates yet"; which is somewhat similar to responding to the statement, "You owe for this service" - "We haven't paid the bill yet".

And as mentioned above, other properties load inventory with 'default' rates ranging from $999 on up - very frustrating for planning purposes, when it used to be understood that you could book eleven months in advance (and still can in most cases, but we're seeing a creep, property by property).

But like the cancellation policy, resort fee opt outs, virtual concierge, etc, programs are being eroded at the edges more and more.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Paid inventory should be loaded approx 50 weeks out. Award might not be as close.

Should and actual are two different things. I've stayed at properties that several months out that Hadn't loaded paid inventory. Usually an oversight on their part and a call to the property took care of it/they loaded it.

Cheers

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

YES FOLKS, AN APOLOGY IS REQUIRED So I apologise...

I dont know what became of me, I should typed in that I was "looking for prices mid July/Aug, yet there's no availability at either for July."

That was the whole purpose behind the post, both hotels have their inventory for August up and running, yet both have simply blacked out all July for redemptions entirely, and mid-JULY till end it's not even possible to buy a room under the 48-hour guarantee. August is fine for both redemptions and cash rates.

Hence my question, which is hopefully clearer now. Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my earlier, erroneously put, question.

I'm blaming the slip-up on my advancing geezerness...

erc Platinum

brightlybob

Well that's quite thoughtful of you to provide 'cover' for my bumblin', stumblin' answer in the very beginning and now with a decent night's sleep, hopefully I can more clearly respond with my thoughts about the matter (because IMO there is no appropriate answer to your question of unavailability).

We have run into this situation before (and more and more of late) and the answers we've gotten aren't that satisfactory;

1) "We just haven't loaded inventory yet" - well, duh, that's exactly the point

2) "We're timeshare, we're different" - yeah, different in that you don't make rooms available

3) "we're in the process, but we've run into a web site issue" - apparently only for that time span

4) and in an indirect response to your question about the 48 hour guarantee of room availability, my guess is that if pushed, they would respond like the Fairfield Inn in NY on 21 West 37th Street, where if you look from April 13, 2015 through the last day of October 15, 2015 this $125-$400 room is listed between $899 to $999 per night. "There you go Big Boy, you want a guaranteed room, then slap down twice our normal price and you've got it".

This is one more area where properties are playing the game however they want (and the reason that we'll never hear is "because we can").

Although you, tommo, and I never did get a response about our "How many Marriott properties are franchised vs. company operated", since you originally asked and my initial, rambling Rube Goldberg-esque answer sent us down the rabbit hole, I owe it to you to throw it back up to NathalieF or hired gun researcher The specified item was not found. to see if they can track down an explanation of why rooms aren't available for huge blocks of time.

When I see rates like $899-999 for rooms that go for less (or even 9,999) it says to me that they've not loaded inventory.  Re: Bob's update about July not being available but August is, I have no explanation & would just encourage him to contact the property directly.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...