10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2014 2:11 PM by brightlybob RSS

Worst airports in the WORLD! (2014)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well I can only speak to one on the list but I totally agree with it being on there. LGA. What a dump. The only way to get there is to either drive (and if you park its super expensive), take an expensive car service or taxi (again its driving just someone else behind the wheel), or a really crappy bus. No subway, no train, no light rail. Now as far as the main terminal it is really lousy. Dark, dirty, and always crowded. The gate areas themselves are no better. Dark, lousy seating, and everything looks like it has a film on it and the carpeting is gross. There are no where near enough bathrooms, food choices, or anything desirable for that matter. The US Airways terminal is better but certainly nothing to write home about.

What does everyone think of the list?? 

IAHFLYR, kharada46, erc?

World's worst airport in 2014 is... - CNN.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Worst airports in the WORLD! (2014)
    erc Platinum

I've got no problem with that list, although it shoots down my plans for waffles in Islamabad.

Featured Insider Frogs may know the plan stan about Uzbekistan, it may be a stop off for her trips to Kyrgyzstan .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

No stop in Uzbekistan so I don't know the plan stan ... yet ... I should check with my mom.  She's been to several of the 'stans'.  It would be interesting to know her thoughts since she has been in many airports.  I'll have to ask and share.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Guess I'll have to go along with the list as most of the places I can't even pronounce!  

I'd have to put Munich up a little higher on the best list as it is a true joy to travel through....and add Eagle County near Vail, Colorado as one of the most scenic approaches.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I agree on LGA and happily I haven't been to the other 9

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

ks77 I thankfully haven't been to most of these, though I have been to Tegel... I love the proximity to downtown Berlin, but I HATE everything else about the airport... Terminal C is tiny, has insufficient seating, and has near zero amenities air side. 

TXL2.jpg

Oh, and even though there aren't any jet bridges, there still aren't enough gates for all their flights.  We had to jump onto a bus for a ridiculously short ride to the terminal...

TXL.jpg

I was actually really surprised that FCO wasn't on this list!  The airport was a dump... and ground crews are awful.  We had to wait over an hour after our flight just for baggage to begin to appear on the belts.

On another note, HNL was rated as the 3rd worst airport in the Nation by the same rating agency.  Honolulu International the third-worst airport - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Compared to other US airports, this ranking is plausible.  What's even worst, though, are the dismal lounges offered by HA at HNL... this is their PRIMARY HUB!  If HA wants to be viewed as a premium airline, having a decent lounge would definitely help... oh, and lie-flat seats in First  

IMG_2635.jpgIMG_2636.jpg

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46

I agree with HNL. As I think I mentioned previously at some point, I didn't get SkyClub access in HNL since those legs were in First and not BusinessElite like my JFK-LAX legs were. We tried to get in but the agent said sorry but no. No worries, I planned for this and had my USAirways club pass from one of my CCs. My wife and I walked over to the AAdmirals/JAL lounge and they let us in no problem. The club was the best one I have been in so far. Better than the AAdmirals club in ORD, better than the US Airways clubs in PIT and PHX, and SO much better than the SkyClub in LAX. I would put it on par with the new SkyClub in JFK. Well enough about the clubs, what I really wanted to mention was that once you walk away from the areas with the stores to the gates its like a time warp. We were at gate 19 and it being nighttime, it was super dark. There just isn't enough lighting and the gate area literally had every seat filled. It was no joke standing room only. The old grey/brown tile floors with the dark concrete walls just made the whole thing feel old and cold haha.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I couldn't agree with you more ks77!  The terminals are bad... The JAL lounge is good, especially with the free food and "medicinals," which is unusual for a lounge in the US.  I just wish there were some good tarmac views and better wifi. 

Thankfully, some improvements are on the way!  Check out Hawaiian's new terminal:

Hawaii Airports Modernization | New Mauka Concourse

I sincerely hope a new, world class lounge is part of the plans for HA's sake, but I'm not hopeful...

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I agree that LGA is a dump if you aren't in the Delta terminals.  Luckily Delta has done well renovating their space to be comfortable.  I was recently in the JFK Delta domestic terminal and was not impressed, especially getting from the train to the terminal - no easy transfer from one to the other.  A walkway or something would be nice.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Nominate New York Newark,  EWR. Dreadful food, long queues with rude security. And dirty, Yuk, yuk, yuk....

The only plus point is it's straightforward rail connections, but really, surely such a busy airport could do better

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...