5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2014 7:57 PM by alexnjoo RSS

Problem in my recent stay in Renaissance

alexnjoo Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

A newbie in Marriott Insider, just got promoted into Gold, had an eye for Platinum.

A business traveler, Accor Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold.

Have an "itch" to share my experience during one of my recent stay in Renaissance Istanbul.

Stayed for Exhibition in Istanbul for 8 days. Before going out, we prepare our empty bag and put it on concierge desk and get baggage tag for bag id.

Afterwards, we bought 16 small bottles of Mineral Water (330 ml), packed into 2 plastic bags, 1 bag of snack and stationary, in local Carrefour.

Upon back to hotel, all bags went through a security scanner and I got stopped. The security lady, show us sign "No Food and Beverage" to bring into hotel. I explained that all of them will not be brought into room, and I already prepared my bag in the concierge desk to carry all my stuff to Exhibition ground. Showed her the baggage tag, but she doesnt speak (or doest want to speak??) English. She called another person, and the person approach me and showed me "hotel policy".

Again, I explained, all of these bag will not brought to room, had prepared a bag to carry it away asap, showed the bag tag from concierge (again)

The guy just responded "no food and beverage" from outside, and the way he does it, like im stealing something from hotel. And all of these done in front of other hotel guests!

I decide not to argue, and prepare to let the bag outside... and the guy call me and said, QUOTE "This time, I let you go in... but this is will be LAST time. NEXT time, will not let you in".

Keep quiet, no argument, I get the bag from concierge and call the security lady, asking her to see that Im putting all of my stuff in the bag and carry it away from hotel WITHOUT going into my room. She just waived, and ignore me, making it look like that she doesnt care.

This brought me to this forum, Im soooo insulted by the way they remind the guest. As I mentioned earlier, I used to travel by Accor and Hilton group, only this year decide to go for Marriott, is this the policy of Marriott?? Bear in mind that Im not bringing KFC, Pizza hut, Subway or hot meals. Its just water and snacks, and it didnt even go to room and I showed my concierge bag tag more than twice. So to sum up my question;

1. Is it hotel policy to forbid bottled water and snacks to enter hotel?

2. Is it hotel security policy to warn guest in front of other guest?

3. Did anyone ever experience this kind of treatment.

After 3 nights stays (original prepaid booking) I decide not to extend my stay, and I move directly to Marriott Istanbul Sisli.

During check out, I made a complaint and received by Front Office Manager. He asked me why I didnt report this to him asap, and I dont want to make a scene and I dont want the staff to do anything "funny" during my stay. I didnt expect anything from the hotel, and Im so offended by the way the security "WARNED" me. The FOM arranged hotel car to take me to Istanbul Sisli Marriott, and he apologize for the mishap, he also asked me to write to him for this matter, promising me to do every possible way to make it up

To all of Insider,

Does anyone ever experience something like this?

Care to share your thoughts?

Am I posting into the right forum?

Thanks and regards

Alexandre

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Problem in my recent stay in Renaissance
    melaw67 Platinum 1 Reviews

Hello Alexandre,

I am a lifetime platinum and I have never stayed in the Istanbul Marriott Renaissance.  I have stayed in Marriott's on 5 continents and have NEVER been stopped for bringing food into the hotel or to my room.  I can eat it in my room, in common areas and executive lounge but of course not in the restaurants.

Did you ask to talk to the manager on duty by chance and if so, what did he/she say?  I agree with you that this is unacceptable and if this I had experienced this, I would have serious heartburn.  I would first try to contact the hotel management in writing and if you do not get an acceptable response, contact the Marriott Rewards line directly.  Trust me that the individual Marriott's DO NOT WANT you to go to the Rewards line with a complaint about their hotel.  I have been told by managers at several Marriott's that I have stayed that when a customer calls the Rewards line with a complaint, the individual hotel gets fined EVEN if it is determined that the customer was wrong for complaining.  It is in their best interest to resolve issues locally.

When you are paying premium prices, there should be absolutely no reason that you cannot bring water OR MsDonalds (if that is your choice) to your room to eat.

If you do decide to write a letter or call the Marriott Rewards line, it is best to keep as many details as possible with whom you spoke with, day you spoke, and the situation.

It would be nice to follow up here if you do make future contact regarding this situation as I am curious as to how they handle it locally and or nationally.

Michael Lawrence

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alexnjoo Gold 1 Reviews

Dear Michael,

Thanks for the tip.

Upon checkout, I did spoke to Front Office manager (FOM), and he listen and apologize for the mishap. He even offer me to stay in upgraded room for free, which I refuse since its not about money, its about a dagger to your heart, and being "WARNED" in front of other guest. For me, this is really unacceptable. If you come for exhibition, you came with lots of stuff, to move from one hotel to another is really troublesome, but I just simply cant take it and I want to show that im moving to another Marriott hotel because im so upset with them. The FOM promise to check the CCTV record to see which employee. He asked me to wrote to him after I get back, which I did, and all I got is a reply that they are sorry and they are looking for ways to win back my trust. The person had been warned.

I dont have anything against FOM and The Hotel, but (call me grumpy) I really take the insult personally. I know its stupid, but trust me, if you are humiliated in front of others, it really do stick to your mind heart and soul.

I remember the detail of timing and date, but I dont remember the person name. There are only 1 lady with short blonde hair, and I saw her again, but the guy, I simply dont know the name.

CCTV record will easily show if they really check it.

If you asked me what I want, all Im saying, I do want to see the security lady and the guy being officially/formally warned

Are they in position to handle this matter since its been across international borderline (being happened in Istanbul, now Im in Guangzhou and will be in Spain next week?)

Am I writing in the right forum?

Thanks for the input

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I would avoid any hotel with a policy like that! I've never been prevented from bringing food and drink into a hotel. I certainly don't consume it in the hotels catering areas, but I do in my room. There are other choices and I'm pleased to see you made one! I would complain to Marriott, we all know this is a truly one-off but to a first time Marriott guest such a policy in one hotel can disfigure the entire brand...

alexnjoo Gold 1 Reviews

Dear Brightybob,

thanks for the thought.

Certainly would complain when I know the right way/channel to do so, this is why I wrote in this forum, to seek advice from other Insider.

regards

Alex

alexnjoo Gold 1 Reviews

Hi All,

Just want to let you know the result of my ongoing discussion with the hotel in regards of my problem.

I sent 3 emails, 2 email has been replied, and the last one didnot.

First email, took more than 5 working days to be replied.

Second email, took more than 8 working days to be replied.

I guess the FOM didnt really care about the complaint.

I have been asked "is there something we can do" and I had replied, it would be a great thing if they can add a free elite night (NOT rewards).

The FOM gave 2000 rewards points (WHICH not what Im asked for).

In my opinion 2000 rewards points doesnt mean anything, since to stay 1 night in Renaissance already granted me 3500 points/night.

So I decide to complaint this matter, and I will wrote my experience in detail in Trip Advisor and Marriott hotel review.

If anyone could inform me, where to properly lodge my complaint, then I would be very thankful

Regards

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...