I noticed the tiered wifi thread in Other Topics started earlier this year. Something caught my eye & I asked 2 times for information/clarification of Marriott rep. No response. So thought I'd start a thread here in hopes that it will catch their eye or you all will respond & then maybe they'll respond.
Posted by Marriott rep:
"More details about general WiFi guidelines:
- All North American properties are moving toward a tiered internet structure along with upgrades to the infrastructure. The roll-out is planned throughout 2015 as individual hotel contracts with net providers expire and are moved to new providers.
- Tiered pricing allows guest to choose which level meets their needs: High Speed for checking email, updating status, browsing the web; Enhanced High Speed for downloading large files, video chat, music, streaming
- CY, FI, RI, TS, SH still have free high speed internet and will offer enhanced high speed internet for a daily fee
- Gold and Platinum receive Enhanced High Speed as a complimentary benefit at participating hotels
- Applies to up to three devices at CFRTS, up to six devices for full service
- Fees vary by hotel; set according to market conditions
- This move excludes the Autograph Collection, The Ritz-Carlton, and all properties in Quebec, Canada.
Note: Marriott encourages guests to always share their feedback with the hotel in question. They may take that information and use it for the basis of creating a new internet policy."
So to restate the question I asked in the other thread. Does this mean Gold/Plats will no longer receive free i-net at Autograph Collections, Ritz Carltons & all properties in Quebec, or does it mean we'll only get standard speed at AC, RC, & PQ? If so, why on both counts? And for goodness sake, don't say it's due to local laws since we already get free i-net at AC, RC & PQ.
I thought I'd post here in hopes of getting clarification before starting a thread on Flyertalk
This is exactly what the Insiders forum is made for, clarifying policy. Otherwise, regardless of how well informed the thousands of heavy traveling and multi-year loyalitsts FlyerTalkers and Insiders are, we would only be flapping our gums at each other.
There's few more knowledgeable than ski who is posted as (she didn't post it - the forum did)
I'm thrilled she's been as involved as she has been of late with Insiders, it enhances everyone's travels.
Here's a tremendous opportunity to optimize the strengths of both forums.
You had mentioned elsewhere in the bowels of the forum that you were looking into this. Realizing that often when the moderation team responds (in most all cases in a very timely fashion) about researching an issue, The Greater Team can prove quite elusive in providing an answer, giving the Insider moderation team member the 'runaround'.
Hi skiadcock - sorry for the delay! I was able to hunt down the correct answer for you. I'm glad you brought your question here so that we can clarify the policy. At this time there will be no change moving into 2015 for Golds/Plats. The same policy will continue at all brands: complimentary Premium (aka Enhanced) tiered internet globally, where available, for Gold and Platinum members.
Thanks for staying on top of it, erc!
Thanks for that communitymanager the wording highlighted by Skiadcock was uncertain and its good to see Marriotts commitment to free FS wifi for gold and plats remains intact..
MInd you, the move to free wifi is inexorable with the UK mobile phone network, "3" offering contracted data allowances across UK, EU and USA, the free wifi expansion will continue apace amongst the mobile operators which will make hotels charges unsuppotrtable. I'm sure by 2020 free hi-speed wifi will be a standard service offered by all hotels around the western world.