17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2014 4:03 PM by brightlybob RSS

Franchises

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone tell me if there is a list of UK Marriotts that are franchised and those which are Marriott run?

Without having to ask the hotel of course!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Franchises
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

As far as I'm aware following a series of commercial moves in late 1990s/early 2000s, Marriotts are now 99% managed/franchised, the dozen or so Marriott-owned hotels remaining are not in Europe.

So, all United Kingdom hotels are managed/franchised...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Really brightlybob  I am surprised.  A certain GM I know has told me he is employed by Marriott.  In fact he has just got a promotion to another Marriott in the UK.  Or could that happen within the franchise situation?  I am no expert, but you know a great deal about these things.

I don't really know that much, most of my knowledge comes via the missus who's a business lecturer.

Different franchises vary in their integration, some have to do little more bear the name of their suppliers product, a car retail franchise comes to mind, others are so integrated its difficult to see they're franchisees at all, other than the ownership sign hidden somewhere on site, McDonalds is a great example, with many of its own United Kingdom outlets and a large franchise estate too.

These highly integrated franchises issue very strict guides on all aspects of presentation, appearance, product placement, employment terms, decor, facilities, suppliers, right down to internal signage and verbiage etc, etc, etc. Marriott, along with all the other big hotel groups, Starwood, IHG and Hilton fall within this classification.

erc Platinum

Tommo781

This is an interesting question, thanks for posting. NathalieF can you share some non-proprietary info on this subject - what proportion of Marriott brand hotels are company operated vs. franchised?

Marriott has over 330,000 employees and as well as they manage costs, I'm quite confident, those employees are not overhead. I believe the 99% figure is related to the number of properties (meaning the real estate asset) owned by groups like Host Hotels and Resorts (a Marriott spin off in the 90's) and private equity firms. This is part of Marriott's off balance sheet finance strategy which enables them to grow as rapidly as they have (they often finance the initial development project and then sell the asset, recouping the capital and taking an operating agreement).

I agree that many Marriott's are operated by hotel management groups such as White Lodging, oftentimes those groups run several different brands; Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt etc. The question for the CM - how many of the 4,000 or so hotels does Marriott operate and how many do other management firms run (paying Marriott fees). I'm confident this general info is somewhere in the 10K's, I'm just too lazy to look it up.   Thanks

Aha, yes. Marriott owns as little as 1% of its hotels, but franchises about half of their US inventory (according to their own franchise website), self managing the balance. I don't know what the figures are in Europe, other than Marriott doesn't own any hotels in the EU, but many are franchised, others managed.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I wish I understood the nuances of ownership, franchising, not owning but self managing etc.  I thought I was asking a simple question, but obviously it is far more complicated than my aging brain can deal with.

BTW brightlybob, you won't have noticed, but the dot under my avatar has gone from silver to gold!  I got an email to say I have been upgraded to Gold until the end of January.  Don't know why, but hey thanks!  Maybe it is because I used to be gold but no longer travel enough to keep it.  If I stay 6 times before the end of January I can keep Gold for another year!  Not going to happen, I have 2 bookings already in the time frame but am unlikely to do more than one on top of that, but it is a nice gesture.

NathalieF and The specified item was not found. please pass on my thanks to whoever decided this.

erc Platinum

There's the hotel (the real estate asset) and there's the hotel business.

Because it requires so much capital (money) Marriott prefers not to own the hotel, so for hotels that Marriott actually develops (builds and pays for), when finished building, Marriott sells the hotel to investors who make money by charging the hotel operator (Marriott) rent. Marriott also has scenarios where a group develops the hotel for Marriott and Marriott has an agreement to run it.  The investors (owners of the hotel) also hope to capture an increase in value of their hotel asset over time (for example the recent proposed sale of the Waldorf Astoria will make the sellers a significant profit). Marriott probably owns less than 2% of their hotels. They want to be in the hotel operation business, not the real estate business.

Marriott makes money running hotels and collecting fees from others who they allow to run their Marriott brands hotels. Still hoping the NathalieF will inform us what the approximate breakout is between what % Marriott operates and what % Marriott allows others to run (franchisees). Bbob says that it is about a 50-50 split in America. But the answer to your actual question - which UK hotels are franchised (), without calling, would either have to come from Bbob's or the community manager.

Congratulations on earning Gold status. It comes with significant benefit increase over Silver and isn't all that much different from Platinum, so you're on your way.

You get your current Silver benefits plus the following additional ones courtesy of your Gold status

• Guaranteed lounge access/breakfast for members and one guest (excludes resorts) §§§ ║
          • Complimentary room upgrade¶¶¶
          • Complimentary premium tiered internet service***
          • Guaranteed room type† ** ††† ║
          • Hertz #1 Gold membership
          • Free local phone and local fax¶ &
          • Discounted long-distance phone calls §§§ &

• 25% bonus on points for stays ¶¶
          • Gold customized rewards

Way to go

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks for the congrats erc & brightlybob  I did used to be Gold, but am unlikely to achieve it again now I am retired unless Marriott kindly give me the upgrade from Silver.

Awwww, Tommo781, sorry to hear you'll have trouble keeping hold of Gold. Are you anywhere near lifetime status, although Plat is a pretty tough 750 nights & 2mill points, Gold is more achievable at 500 nights and 1.6mill points, especially the nights bit!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sadly no brightlybob.  When I was travelling for a living, being in the UK I did not stay away as many nights as our US friends.  Also, I was at the mercy of a booking agency, and often stayed in places where there wasn't a Marriott anyway.  So it was pure luck if I achieved Gold status.  I only travel for pleasure now, and am nowhere near 500 nights.  But I don't mind.  I have permanent Silver through the credit card, and have a little stash of points.  So if I book somewhere in the UK that is a reasonable price, I book a top room, pay for it, and accumulate more points.  Then, when I go to London, I use points and pay for an upgrade.  It works well.

I agree, long distance travel leading to frequent hotel stays are much more difficult to come across here in the EU. Language problems mean EU-wide companies and businesses are only slowly setting up. It'll be a long time before the EU reaches the integrated nature of the USA. I do enjoy my travel and feel very privileged that I'm able to do this. Sometimes, like this week, it's a pain, with different permutations meaning I've got to check out of Leicester Marriott tomorrow morning only in all likelihood needing to check in again towmorrow afternoon!

Even so, I see this as an incredibly privileged position. I'll never forget my dad teaching me me to play Monopoly, and I asked what a hotel was, and being told (in his broad Yorkshire accent) "It's t'pless fer t'posh people ter kip on dem 'olidez, lad!" (Translation for our American cousins... "A hotel provides accomodation and services for wealthy vacationioners, son") I was amazed when during my traineeship I got to spend my first ever hotel-night at a Stakis in Nottingham for a conference and even now remember my dad asking me how it was and whether I took any photos!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

That is all so true brightlybob.  What we take for granted nowadays was the height of "poshness" to our parents. I remember going on a coach holiday with my parents when I was in my teens.  We stayed at a seaside B&B, and I had a single room.  My mother was really impressed because "oh how lovely!  You've got your own sink in your room."  Not an en suite mind.  Just a sink.  But what luxury it was in the early 60's.  Nowadays I would never stay anywhere where I didn't have my own facilities!

Your Stakis was my Hilton.  When I stayed in a Hilton for the first time on business, my Dad was beside himself.  He just couldn't believe how priveleged I was.

OOh, yes... Memories!

I well remember my dad flogging our caravan and using the money for a-trip-of-a-lifetime 3 weeks in France (inc 4 days driving!) camping near Paris for a few nights and near Bordeaux for a full fortnight, during Charles and Di's wedding... We returned via Weymouth ferry and stayed a night at a B&B there, I was amazed to see that my parents room had its own sink... How posh. And that was in the '80s!

Like all big cost businesses, it's structure and ownership is complex as the group tries to attract maximum investment via the different sources available, owners, franchisers, management etc.

On a simpler note, congrats on the Gold status. Whilst I find little difference in upgrades/treatment as Plat-v-Gold very small, the main differences are 25% extra points and the welcome gift, the difference between Silver and Gold is big. You should notice immediate upgrades (at least in UK/Europe), free breakfasts, in-room wifi and lounge access.

WIthin the UK all Marriott/Renaissance hotels in the London and Heathrow area have exec lounges you'll get access to (except St Pancras). Outside that area lounges are rarer, just Aberdeen, Bristol City, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Leicester, Manchester Airport and Newcastle Gosforth. Glasgow, Leicester and Manchester airport don't offer a weekend lounge service. All UK hotels offer 7day/week free breakfast to Golds, most being full buffet where there's no lounge, or the lounge is closed.

Youll definitely find this enhances your stays, so enjoy...

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

I usually don't ask whether a Marriott property is owned by Marriott or is a franchise facility, but as I posted a review regarding my recent stay at the Marriott Augusta, GA facility, this is a franchise property:

Downtown Augusta, GA Marriott

The impact of this is that some of the normal expectations for Marriott Platinum card, or Lifetime Platinum, achievers, are not available: free breakfast, free room internet access, concierge floor amenities, and to my surprise, the price for a glass of wine in the lounge was $14.00! However, since they did not advise me of this at time of check in, the front desk manager did remove the internet charge and gave me free breakfast coupon.

I can safely say that I'm shocked by this fschumpert All hotels have to respect the program within their brand specification, unless they have some kind of exception. These are rare, for instance a dozen hotels worldwide are exempt from the 7 day breakfast requirement and as far as I understand only a couple are exempt from providing free lounge access, one of which is the Ren St Pancras, which provides free lounge access only to Plats. As far as I'm aware save the rare-as-hens-teeth exceptions, EVERY Marriott has to provide the breakfast, in-room Internet, and if there is a lounge, access. The Augusta Marriott is not one of the exceptions.

Free wine in the CL is alas not required and although usual here in the EU, is apparently rare over your side of the pond. Even so $14/glass... OUCH!

Marriott regulates its franchisees very tightly, the idea is that the guest should be utterly oblivious as to wether the hotel is owned, managed or franchised, they should be mutually indistinguishable...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I am shocked too brightlybob & fschumpert.  As BB knows there are few executive lounges in the UK, but I have never had any problems where there is one, neither have I not been given breakfast where there isn't.  The wine is another issue.  It is not a must do, although at West India Quay they provide free wine and beer between certain hours in the evening.  At other times, there is no alcohol there.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...