23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 9:38 PM by jakeal RSS

Eleven New Autograph Properties to Open by Year End

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many of you may already have seen the news regarding the new additions to the Autograph brand, but if not here it is. . . 

I know wally3433, erc, californian, and others have discussed the Atlantis property.  Here is an October 1 press release from Marriott with more information about the Autograph portfolio expansion - Autograph Collection to Welcome Eleven New Travel Experiences 'Exactly Like Nothing Else' by Year End - Marriott News Center.  Definitely, the Atlantis is the most exciting addition though more choices in the Midwest and Northwest are welcome.

I have stayed at only one Autograph property . . . the Glenn Hotel in Atlanta and it was a great experience so I am looking forward to these others coming online.

• Re: Eleven New Autograph Properties to Open by Year End
    erc Platinum

Good stuff. I remember last year The Glenn Hotel had excellent rates around Thanksgiving week. Anyone going to Atlanta from 11/21 to 11/29, check out their AAA rate, several as low as $89 (at that rate, may be worth putting some in-laws up !).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Thanks for sharing, jakeal. Interesting info,.

I've yet to stay at an Autograph property, but I'm looking at doing so next year. Currently at the top of my list is the Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. It will fit in nicely as I visit (April 2015?) western NC and eastern TN (and maybe NW GA which could include a visit to foxglove territory). The Grand Bohemian is a bit out of my normal price range, but it looks like a place I'd love, and for a one night visit, I'm sure I can fit it into my budget.

It's nice to see a few more Autograph properties showing up. I've browsed a few and the all look cool. If all goes well, I'll add Autograph to the list of brands at which I've stayed soon. We had a lively discussion on that subject previously (Marriott now lists 18 Brands. How many have you visited?)

Do Insiders have a favorite Autograph property? I, for one, would love to know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

bejacob, Asheville is one of my favorite places to visit.  Remind me closer to the spring when you make the trip and I will share a few of my Asheville favorites. 

I know IAHFLYR is a big fan of the British Virgin Islands Resorts | Scrub Island Resort | BVI Luxury Resort

I am considering a stay at the The Siena Hotel in Chapel Hill, NC this spring and the newly opened The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea is on my list for future stays.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Ashville is on my list of places to visit.  It is out of the way of a major airport to fly into and I need to see what else is close.  Any suggestion is appreciated.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

californian

Asheville is gorgeous, you should be able to get there relatively easy through CLT.

You're so right jakeal we do love the BVI, just hope the pending storm approaching them tomorrow doesn't do any damage.

Thanks. j Checked and it is about a 2 hour drive and then I could spend some time in Tennessee too.  I will have to put that on my list.  What time of the year is best to visit (when it is not too cold) and not too humid?

It should be slightly more than two hours from CLT, but nice drive down the interstate.  Best time is right now.....fall colors as Ski mentioned although I've been in the early Spring with some nights in the 30's and daytime mid 60, very pleasant.

Thanks.  Would it be good to stay at the AC or just stay in town?

I'd stay at the AC period.

OK.  Is there a lot in town to see or just spend time at the Biltmore?

Asheville is small town with much history and beautiful surroundings.  The Biltmore is fabulous so it would depend on exactly what you wanted....do it all and make sure you get some NC BBQl!

Things to Do | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Impressive.  I will have to move that up on my list.  thanks again.

erc Platinum

californian

You, being the world class traveler that you are (Antarctica etc) are probably more suited toward the Grand Bohemian, but for another perspective; I'm in the process of scheduling another Mrs. Erc birthday trip (shh, it's a secret) for next October and I'm leaning toward the Renaissance in town at $80 or more a night less. Granted the Ren comes in at 29 out of 58 on TripAdvisor and Bohemian at 10, but for the $160 plus tax savings (plus $18 a day in parking savings), I intend to tool all around town (which the Ren is dead smack in the middle of), the mountains, The Biltmore, and maybe even dine at the Bohemian for that upper crust 'feel' (after doing as IAH suggests snagging some delicious NC BBQ).

I always feel more confident at a Renaissance getting the exact room I want (in this case a mountain view - although I lived in the mountains for four years), great service, concierge beverages and snacks, headache free breakfast (Bohemian gives a $10 voucher - let's guess what their breakfast costs) etc etc and besides I don't intend to hang in the room much.

Having said all of the above, I could certainly understand why someone would want the luxury of the Grand Bohemian, I just wanted to toss in the view of the Proletariat ).

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I agree with just about everything you said, though I still want to stay at the Grand Bohemian (just because ). It looks so cool and with the majority of my stays being just for one night, I figure, why not. I had looked at the Ren and even the SHS as I was planning possible routes through the NC counties. After seeing pictures of the AC property, I decided I had to stay there. I mentioned earlier that I have yet so visit this brand, so that's part of the appeal as well.

IAHFLYR says the best BBQ is in Blowing Rock, so that's been added to my route as well, despite it not being a county seat. (Was it called Woodlands?)

Of course plans do have a way of changing, so it will be interesting to see how I decide to wind my way through the state and where I stay (and for that matter, when). Always nice to have options.

Good points, as always, erc.

You have a good point.  The Renaissances are nice and it is in the city.  could visit the Baltimore and as you said, have a meal there.  This is worth a thought.  Pay for a luxury stay or just visit it?  I will have to check parking cost that might make a difference too.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

There's a recent trip report/review on the Ashville Grand Bohemian with pictures in the Marriott forum on Flyertalk.  Here's the review:

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, NC

Re: time to visit, I think someone said during the fall is nice due to colors and someone else on the thread on FT said stay away during Thanksgiving week because the place is jam packed.

Cheers.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

None in the UK then.  Sigh.........................

Not beyond the current 3.  Right now there are 2 Autograph Collections properties in London & 1 in Edinburgh.

London:

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection

Edinburgh:

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection

Cheers.

I posted about the 11 opening by year end on Flyertalk when it appeared on Marriott's website.  Obviously Atlantis is the more glamorous of them, but the KS & OK properties offer free Cadillac Esplanade rides within a few miles of the properties!  Some will be opening in November.  Alledgely Atlantis around end of October, although JoshM said they'll have an update in the next week or so re: Atlantis.

Cheers.

curiousone Platinum

The Triada in Palm Springs looks like it will be fun to try of a long weekend (Drive over from Phoenix). Probably next April/May when rates drop and before it gets too hot.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

californian, all my visits to Asheville have been in the fall and the weather can get cold in the evening, but the days are comfortable.  And as others have mentioned the fall foliage is great! 

I have stayed at the SHS and it is a good solid property - Asheville is not very big so everything is close by.  I have also stayed at the Grove Park Inn - not a Marriott but an absolutely magnificent hotel.

If you end up going during baseball season, Asheville is home to the Class A Asheville Tourists who play in a 1924 ballpark with beautiful vistas of the surrounding landscape.  The Official Site of The Asheville Tourists | theashevilletourists.com Homepage

If you enjoy a good brew, one of my favorite beers is brewed in Asheville - Highland Brewing Company's Gaelic Ale. New Belgium Brewing Company is also in the process of opening a brewery in the area and is scheduled to be brewing sometime in 2015 - Asheville Brewery - New Belgium Brewing

Of course, I would echo what has been said about the Biltmore - it is fabulous and well worth at least devoting half a day if you plan to tour the house and walk the grounds. 

In terms of dining, Asheville has lots of very good options, but my hands down favorite is Tupelo Honey Cafe -  Welcome to Tupelo, Honey! | Tupelo Honey Cafe - An Award Winning Restaurant which started in Asheville and has now expanded into Tennessee and South Carolina.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...