6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2014 12:05 PM by erc RSS

On The Cheap Rewards Redemption Program

housefishin Silver
Currently Being Moderated

The entire " Rewards" program is tedious , convoluted

and difficult to navigate ....... Travel using " Redemption points "

is rarely available at the medium to top shelf properties .......

Of course , the bottom tier properties seem always to be available ?

Marriott is cheapening their entire program , I'm tired of it , last 4

times of my desired dates of travel and choice of hotels , of course ,

there was" nothing available " ,  seems like their standard response !!

Convenience , of  having so many properties , is the only reason to

use this " Rewards " card ,  more appropriately " Lack of Rewards " card  !!

Starwood and Hyatt seem like better choices , but have far  fewer hotels .....Poo

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: On The Cheap Rewards Redemption Program
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

And to show the opposite.  I've redeemed points & certs for hotels in London, Vienna, Chicago, Los Angeles, Newport RI, and others that are high categories.

When you're trying your booking, you might want to click "my dates are flexible" as I believe that will show you the entire month & you'll be able to see if a single night is interfering with your ability to book.  If it is, then you can potentially book the point stays around that & pay cash for the single night, or contact Marriott Reward customer service & see if they can contact the hotel to open up the single night.  Alternatively sometimes if you do a night by night check for your preferred dates you can put them together that way & then have reservations merge them into a single reservation.

You're correct that Starwood & Hyatt don't have the footprint that Marriott does with 4,125 properties.

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I echo skiadcock here. Over my years of membership Ive redeemed over a million points at good values in wonderful non-resort locations around the world. Use "my dates are flexible" searches, or book early, and you'll see the value in the scheme.

Happy hunting

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It IS difficult to redeem points at specific venues during specific times of the year. This I believe is a universal fact. Unfortunately, the only "fair" workaround has vanished - gift cheques for points to use as cash. I might add gift cards are still available, but a $1000 card costs 255,000 points, double of what it was 2 years ago.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

True of any hotel chain.  For example, if you're going to be in New York City for New Year's Eve or a Super Bowl city or somewhere like Vail during high ski season, then all chains will book out far in advance or the property might get an exemption.  For popular venues during certain times, advance planning is normally required.  So using my dates are flexible or doing a night by night search might prove more fruitful.

Cheers.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't think redeeming points is a problem.  I am only silver, but have no trouble at all.  brightlybob & skiadcock both say they have redeemed points  for what they require.  I would like to add my name to theirs.  I have booked several stays with points in the past with no trouble.  I have a booking for 5 nights in London later this year, using points, on the "buy 4, get 1 free" basis.  I booked on line, then rang the hotel and asked them if I could upgrade the reservation to a better room.  I will now be in a junior suite with lounge access, using points and paying only a small amount extra each night.  I was very pleased with my redemption.

erc Platinum

Erc's Cynical Saturday as told in pictures;

We tested "I hate puppies"
                                                     Replies went thru the roof

Two posts by first time posters remind us how much

we actually appreciate Marriott Rewards (and we do)

On The Cheap Rewards Redemption Program

Points and platinum membership is a sham.

Hats off Marriott  (house fishin - get it ? ).

Pretty shrewd marketing ploy 

Keep on keepin' on Insiders

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...