1 2 3 11 Previous Next 159 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2015 7:11 AM by john_thai RSS

New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/marriott-cancel-1159-pm-avoid-penalty-fees-new-policy-says/

Although often you can run into properties with 1, 2, or 3 day prior to reservation cancellation times, the current majority is a cancellation same day of reservation (4 pm or 6 pm). Next year all reservations must be cancelled by (at least) 11:59 pm local time the day before check in.

Thanks to ks77 and kharada46 for sharing,  http://travelupdate.com/  a pretty good travel web site with some interesting topics.

And speaking of sharing, as all trends indicate, we're probably better off as Insiders using our energy in sharing deals and warnings vs. bemoaning the inevitable ongoing loss of benefits or tightening of policies.

As James Taylor sang, Marriott's a    baby, they're bound to roll all over us.

Book those award 5 nights for 4 - while you can .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I had no idea erc!  Most of my stays have been at properties that require 3-day prior conciliation

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

As far as Im aware all FS in the United Kingdom are 6pm day of arrival, and I've had cause to use that flexibility before, due to judicial illness, trials overrunning or cases settling at last minute. I have such a situation this week in Leicester, where I'm there for Wednesday night for a trial on Thursday morning, and a conference on Friday afternoon. In between I've got a dash over to Newark for a settlement conference on Thursday afternoon in Newark, if that works then I'll not be needed for the case in Newark listed on Friday morning, so needn't stay in Newark and can instead beetle my way back to Leicester and stay there overnight. If not then I'll need to stay in Newark Thursday night, do my trial on Friday morning and make the dash back to Leicester for my conference on Friday afternoon.

So the outcome of these permutations is I need 6pm flexibility for the Thursday night, as I'll need to cancel either my Newark or Leicester hotel depending upon the outcome of the settlement conference...

Now I'll admit, this is rare and possibly happens only once a year, and has required a series of coincidences to arise, but this change will effect my thinking, well my clerks thinking.

I know this is the way things are moving, that Hilton and Starwood already have gone this route, but its going to make my clerks life more difficult, poor soul!

• 3. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

brightlybob I don't think they are all 6pm in the UK.  In my experience (and I have just checked 2 bookings for the end of the year) it is usually 4pm.  Only a couple of hours, but it might make a difference to business people such as yourself.

• 4. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well spotted, yes, that changed a couple of years ago, and I forgot… dang, that could really muck up my situation in Leicester… well, lets see...

My normal last moment changes are notified either afternoon before or in the morning, in many ways this weeks scenario has been shoehorned in because of this flexibility

• 5. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    erc Platinum

kharada46

Well perhaps if you didn't argue so much that required mediation, you would be given the usual 6 pm day of cancellation. It sounds to me that you might have had too much Uncle Clay's Pure Aloha last night !

Good to hear from you again pal

• 6. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    superchief1 Platinum

Although I typically don't cancel on the day of travel, there are times when travel delays or flight cancellations require it. I hope Marriott and the individual properties will be flexible when reservations need to be cancelled due to reasons beyond our control.

• 7. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

I just started a thread in Other Topics re: the same topic, as I didn't see this thread & also I didn't think it applied to Marriott Rewards per se since the new cancellation policy will affect everyone.  Should have realized erc would already be on it.

Marriott's saying this is due to occupancy being high & they're not going for a grab for cancel fees.  Not sure I believe the latter. 

The Marriott spokesperson said that 25% of their properties have a restrictive policy.  Well, that means 75% don't! 

Also, if a Marriott property wants to stick with a DOA cancel they have to apply to HQ for an exemption to keep it.  So if a a property wants to be more guest friendly & also thinks they can manage their revenue/room inventory even with the DOA policy, they may not be allowed to do so.  Geesh.

On the one hand I can see where there might be a bit of a pro to the new policy.  Some hotels have 'day before' cancel policies already in place but it says day before with no time frame, which has really caused some down & out, almost fisticuffs between the elite & the property & even MR cust service when they all interpret day before differently.  This (supposedly) would limit that - if the properties adhere to it.

On the other hand it could screw up biz travelers who need flexibility.  What if a client cancels a meeting the day before the mtg - ie, the day the biz traveler is arriving to stay in order to make the next day mtg.  Now the biz traveler will get dinged/pay 1 night because s/he would have had to know 2 days before that the client was going to cancel.

Or what about the traveler who's on a plane to the destination or waiting at the airport & the flight gets canceled.  The cancellation of the flight isn't usually the day before.

Cheers.

• 8. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

erc,

Thanks for posting this.  I'm very disappointed to hear this news.  Most of the time with personal travel I do not have the need to cancel a reservation on the day of arrival.  As you know  I'm a "designated" employee at "THE University" which means I'm required to report to work regardless of weather conditions. Since I live about 30 miles from work and my commute requires me to cross Afton Mountain there have been several occasions where I would have to get a hotel room to be close to work due to weather conditions.  If a potential winter storm is approaching I try to plan ahead and make a reservation in advance in the event I do need a hotel room.  Having a same day cancellation policy has come in handy with this type of scenario. Once this new policy goes into place I may have to look into other hotel options that offer a same day cancellation policy.

• 9. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015

On Flyertalk that's what some of them are saying.  They'll have to look at other chains or properties that still might offer DOA cancel.

Cheers.

• 10. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Hopefully other chains will decide not to follow Marriott's footsteps on this policy.

• 11. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    Jsucool76 Gold

So what happens if I made a reservation in 2014, for a night in 2015. Will this effect my already made reservations?

• 12. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015

It should be honored since the reservation was made before the new policy goes into effect.  It would be a good idea to print out your reservation before 2014 so that you have a record of it if they give you a hassle.  There have been reports of changes made to cancel policy or rates that were done quietly to reservations w/o the guest getting a heads up.

Cheers.

• 13. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    erc Platinum

Of course in dealing with policy interpretation, you never say never, but I'm pretty confident reservations made prior to the change will still be honored as it relates to cancellations. I have about 15, 2015 reservations already (with 6 pm day of cancellation) and you can bet I have copies of my reservation, confirmation, and cancellation details.

I once had a reservation for a property that had free parking that went to charging for parking and I wasn't charged. But I also had a time when a hotel changed their Stay and Park deal (I had the better original terms) and gave me the hairy eyeball until I showed them my reservation, so it's always a good practice to print a copy of your reservation when you make it (some properties also were known to try to slip in Award changes, i.e. 5k more points, so you must 'protect yourself at all times', this ain't charity softball ).

• 14. Re: New Marriott Cancellation Policy in 2015
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I was going to say the same as skiadock.  Print out your reservations and keep them in case of further change.  Marriott must surely honour all existing reservations.  Or must they ...............................

1 2 3 11 Previous Next