24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2014 7:01 AM by erc RSS

Eiffel Tower facelift

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France
  • Re: Eiffel Tower facelift
    erc Platinum

Well sg1974 my man, you know if it involves heights and great views, it's got my attention, thanks for sharing.

On a similar note with a twist; francophiles and bon vivant world travelers, what do you think of my possible idea of dining at Jules Verne for my one day trip to Paris? I can secure a reservation for a three course prix fixe lunch for 98 euros, which at the strong dollar conversion is a $250 for two price (I'll eat a dinner at the Ghent Marriott concierge ). It covers my admission, looks like terrific views (which I would hope to secure possible window table by reserving early and thru the Visa Concierge which carries far more clout than yours truly), and sure seems like I get to bypass lines (oh yeah, and the food is supposed to be pretty decent as well).

Please weigh in (I'm ok about not going to the top, if that is the case). Thanks for your insights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Ok, fair enough, either Insiders haven't been yet, aren't willing to share, or just didn't see my request for info on the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, so I'll share what I experience next spring.

sg1974 Gold

erc i have been up the eiffel tower but not been to the restaurant.

maybe our well traveled friend jerrycoin might have dined at Jules Verne?

i thought you would be feeling all relaxed after your California drive?

erc Platinum

In spite of my beloved Washington Nationals deciding to give their bats an early vacation, I'm cool as a cucumber

it's all good (just got invited to be a judge at a local Beerfest - yeah baby!).

sg1974 Gold

enjoy the judging, someone has to do it!

sg1974 Gold

seeing as you are going to be judging beer, here is your first test:

How well do you know the world's beers? - Telegraph

erc Platinum

Good stuff. 71% which was a passing grade, so it says I'm a judge that can be bought .

I got 10 out of 14 (although Ferret's Shame was a guess, so I ain't pattin' myself on the back ).

I think I had drank more beers than I knew where they were from (San Miguel for example - I would have bet money on Madrid).

That was strenuous, I need a brewski (using your time zone ). This is a tasty lil' treat

an espresso stout from Old Dominion (as in Virginia) Brewery currently owned by a Delaware Craft Beer company.

sg1974 Gold

did you print out your score to show you are fully qualified to judge this weekend?

all that travelling to these places pays off in the end!

erc Platinum

Indeed, bernad's Beer, Good for Your Health post and walksoftly's Greek beer education (and Brink's Beer from Crete) taught me two of the answers, so once again sportsfans, always read your Insiders!

sg1974 Gold

erc another quiz to keep you on your toes.

i know how much you enjoy your observation decks so this should be easy for you!

Quiz: the world's highest views - Telegraph

erc Platinum

8 out of 10 (with a lucky Australian guess, so really only 7 - Petronas and gargoyle saved me)

They tried to trick me with the Pickle, but proximity (and the multiple choice answer ) kept me from pulling the trigger on my fave London view

sg1974 Gold

I need to find some tougher quizzes for you!

you are on top of your game.

erc Platinum

I read Insiders!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg1974 and erc,

Yes, I have dined at Jules Verne and it was one disaster.  Overpriced food, the snails were $125 for a terrible appetizer.  Maybe it was just me, but I would never dine there again.

If you really want one wonderful meal, go to La Tour d'Argent, and request a window table.  If you like duck!

Again, the scenery at JV is exceptional, but the food is not!

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

View from table!

IMG_1631.JPG

Nice setting but not worth the price.  There are so many places that are better!

erc Platinum

Hmmm, this reminds me of the breakfast joke.

Two brothers were sitting at the family breakfast table. Mom asked the older brother Jim, what he would like for breakfast. Jim (a young teen trying to be 'cool') said, "pass me some of those damn Rice Krispies. Well his Mom hauled off and smacked Jim upside the head and turned to eleven year old Tim and asked him what he wanted for breakfast. Tim paused and said, "I don't know Mom, but you can bet your a$$ it ain't the Rice Krispies!

So, if I go, I guess I won't be wearing a tie .

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

That's really a shame.  I imagine the view was spectacular though.  (I did a Seine River dinner cruise that was also disappointing in terms of both the food and scenery.)

I think erc is looking at a lunch prix fix meal.  The dinner price tag is definitely not for the faint of heart.  Something to consider, since there are so many great options in Paris.  When one is willing to spend, it should at least be worth it.

pluto77,

Agree again with you about the dining on the Seine River Cruise.  Another overpriced event!  Love the area, but no more "River cruises" for me!

IMG_1087.JPG

Bateau Parisian, going under The Alexander Bridge in Paris.  Fun, but not worth the price.

Okay, well the beer banter was some fun and light reading and therefore a good way to begin the day (and very sorry about your Nats, I would have had a soft spot for them too, had it not been the Giants).  In getting back to the matter at hand,

1) I think that a dine at Jules Verne is an excellent way to spend one day (and being that you have only one day) in Paris.  I have also read that the food there is very good (even probably 98€ good, especially considering the view and all of the other included perks - indeed sounds like a good deal - so I don't see how you can go wrong, and your wife will love you - more than she already does, I mean - for it.)  We tried to get a reservation a few years ago, and that's when we learned that it needs to be made before travel commences (maybe 2-3 weeks, depending on time of year?)  But I also think you should go to the very top too, (again, putting on your romance pants (romance - rhymes with pants)).  So good on you ercster, an excellent idea.  ssindc has dined in the restaurant if I'm not mistaken, let's see what he has to say.

2) sg1974, thanks for posting the article.  I didn't know about this and it sounds pretty cool (though I will probably opt out of standing on the glass floor ).  I haven't been up the ET since '05, so this adds another factor to the decision to perhaps make another ride up when we return to Paris next March.

erc Platinum

pluto77

Thanks for the terrific input, exactly what I needed (and that's why I bounced the 'beach ball' back up in the air, in hopes that some of you pros hadn't seen the thread)   .

Don't forget to state your Insider Get Together plans in DC this November as you get closer to the date. Thanks

In thinking more on this, I do know my mom would like to go back up one more time and as March is her birthday month, I'm thinking that Jules Verne would make an outstanding birthday present for her.  Would you mind providing some details regarding this deal that you mention?  The inclusion of admission as well as bypassing possible long lines would be stellar.  Is this through the Marriott Chase Visa?

Please and thanks!

erc Platinum

Lunch at the Jules Verne

Just straight off of their web site. I thought I'd use the Chase Concierge service to book the reservation, since the times I have used them, my tables have been superb.  It looks like a three month advance is as far out as it goes online, (but something implied to me that a phone call might even be further out if so desired). It's pre-paid, so I'm still holding out for when I get closer to my three month train ticket purchases (as well as ISIS and Ebola).

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

pluto77 is right - I've eaten at - and I strongly recommend - the Jules Verne (particularly if the expense isn't a deal breaker)...

In fact, having traveled (a lot) and dined in style in various venues and cultures, it's still ranks in a handful of the most memorable dining experiences I've ever enjoyed.  (I concede that I'm applying an arbitrary metric here.... Some of my other all-time-most-memorable meals include (1) a private picnic lunch in a castle in Soave, Italy, (2) diving into chili crabs on water's edge in Singapore, (3) formal banquets in China, featuring sea cucumbers and a whole pig's brain, (4) mixed grille and Malbec in Buenos Aires, (5) the most unique collection of "fruit of the sea" including crustaceans I'd never seen before in Halong Bay, Vietnam, and, of course, closer to home, (6) dinner at the iconic Inn at Little Washington in the DC suburbs.... So this is clearly apples and oranges, but....)

Caveat: Travelling on a limited budget, I would definitely NOT sacrifice other opportunities to do this... but, for the folks that don't care about the cash, it's on my "must do" list....  One quick example - I'd also recommend a Seine river cruise/dinner in Paris - heck the food there is underwhelming and overpriced too, but it's still "worth it"....

I'm intrigued by (and sorry to hear about) jerrycoin's negative experience, and I'm even more intrigued by the photos (which don't replicate my experience).  We were there for dinner - we went up in daylight and watched the sun go down and the lights come on - it was rather magical - and definitely special - and truly memorable.

But, to be clear: (1) yes, it's overpriced - that's the price premium for exclusivity and uniqueness; (2) we found the food to be quite good - no, it's not the best food in one of the planet's epicurean centers, but everything we ate (and there were 5 of us) was beautifully presented and delicious; and (3) we enjoyed the experience - the special elevator, the views, the service (which we were quite happy with), and (4) the fact that we were not rushed at all (which we found surprising given how tightly everything appears to be scheduled)....

erc Platinum

Good stuff, thanks. See, this is why I scour the World Wide Web tracking down every Goldstar, Groupon, AmazonLocal, TravelZoo deal and hammer away at resort fees, and other negotiable Marriott profit enhancers, so I can splurge on a place like this, and enjoy not only the view, but especially the "special elevator".

ssindc,

Maybe I just went on the "Wrong night"!

I had a similar experience at The Ritz in Paris as well.  But overall, have had wonderful meals in France!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...