15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2014 1:10 PM by sea.doc RSS

Aggressive/Rude Marriott Vacation Club Marketing/Sales Associates

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Below is a review that I recently submitted on the Marriott Harbour Lake property, a Marriott Vacation Club.  This is the latest saga in our experience with MVC Marketing/Sales Associates.  I cannot believe Marriott Vacation Club Executives tolerate this type of aggressive and downright rude behavior.  What do the Insiders thing?

"This property has it all.  We brought three of the Grandkids with us 9, 11, 13, and they all loved the place.  Great activities for all, especially the kids of all ages.  Soccer field, basketball courts, miniature golf, two pools with slides including a very big slide, foozball tables, pool tables, pirate ships in pools, fishing available, etc.  A professional staff of activity associates.  Restaurant on site with a wide variety of entrees.  First class exercise facility with a view of the pool.  Rooms with balconies on a lake.  All in all a great seven day experience.  THE ONLY NEGATIVE AND IT'S A BIG ONE:  The marketing/sales staff will not leave you alone.  They made three pre-visit phone calls and were told that we would not be interested in attending a sales presentation as we are Premier Plus MVC members and have bought up to our maximum.  They then assaulted my wife as we were checking in and ultimately gave her a "free" picture opportunity which was a total lie and wound up costing us $70.  They then called us every single day for five straight days while we were here.  This is not just annoying, it is harassment.  Do we have to take out a restraining order on these folks?  Is Marriott Vacation Club Management telling them to employ these tactics?  Someone needs to muzzle these folks, as although we loved this property, we will probably not come back due to their tactics!"

• Re: Aggressive/Rude Marriott Vacation Club Marketing/Sales Associates
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Sounds like to me these are salespeople trying to make sales.  Many different tactics work and those they used on you are likely to work with somebody else.  Personally, I would've taken care of this on site when my blood was really boiling.  We've never stayed at the timeshare there but wife and I thoroughly enjoy the co-located JW Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Understood, nuhusker, and I did take care of it on-site when I went to get my morning paper which was across from the Sales area and was approached again.  When a Security guard came into the area I had to lighten up a bit, but made my point.  And my blood was boiling big time.  The property is a nice timeshare.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker

While I understand that these salespeople want to make sales and there are situations where their overbearing technique will work, I've got to think it will turn folks off more often than not.  When I first signed on to the MVC three years ago, I had no intention of doing so when I walked into the sales office.  The salesperson handled me beautifully and I am not easy to sell anything.  Then she made a tactical error by bringing in her sales manager who proceeded to high pressure me.  I almost got up and walked out on the spot.  Under the guise of needing to go to the rest room I left the room and the sales manager talking with my wife.  I located our original salesperson and told her that I would no longer speak with her manager and keep him away from me if she wanted any chance of making a sale.  She did and I ultimately signed on to the points program (4000 points).  We loved and still love the program because of its flexibility, e.g., can stay one or two nights if we desire.  Over the years we extended our points to 13,500/year making us Premier Plus Members with $6,000+ in maintenance fees per year.  Since we are now retired, we have no desire to go beyond this point level and when sales calls us before every single stay, we tell them this.  Should be a comment, one would think, next to our name when we check in, "leave these folks alone."  Has never been the case.

Now here is the rub.  Since the time we became Premier Plus Members we are no longer able to secure reservations at properties we had no trouble booking in the past, although we can make reservations 13 months in advance.  For example, there are no properties available on Hilton Head Island for the week including July 4th, 2015.  We have in fact booked two villas for four years with no problems.  We have gone round and round with MVC executives about this with no resolution.  In addition to this, we, again 13 months in advance, have difficult securing prime view villas, e.g., Ocean Front, especially on Hilton Head.  To add insult to injury we were told by a MVC sale associate that the best villas are saved for better sales prospects than us, which makes sense if you don't mind alienating your current base.  So we get it from both angles.  They still hustle us to buy more, but restrict our ability to book MVC properties and occupy prime location villas.  Even with this hypocrisy, we still enjoy our stays!

erc Platinum

bpelican

I stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation up the road a while back and had a great time. I drove through the Marriott and agree with your assessment that it looks very nice. Isn't it ironic, that Hilton didn't bother me at all (perhaps seeing my Marriott credit card) and yet Marriott hounded you, a loyal customer. Apparently sales personnel are convinced no matter how obnoxious, the better target audience is the current customer (now if only Rewards would act that way ).

Thanks for sharing worthwhile info. Sorry about the headache. The good news, the grandkids no doubt had a blast with their healthy, active grandparents - Go man, Go.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, how offputting. I've only stayed at MVC once. It was lovely, and no sales pitch at all. I wouldnt return to any place that hassled me like that, and would certainly complain most vociferously...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

As I said I agree with you for getting p.o'ed with the situation and the approach.  And I'm not in sales and never will be.  But the tactics you described work, directly or indirectly. 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

bpelican,

I totally agree MVC sales has gotten out of hand.  I just did a blog write up about my experience at the Grande Vista in Orlando.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/vaboywnder/blog/2014/10/14/mvcs-grande-vista-great-resort-but-agressive-sales

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

bpelican wrote:

Below is a review that I recently submitted on the Marriott Harbour Lake property, a Marriott Vacation Club.  This is the latest saga in our experience with MVC Marketing/Sales Associates.  I cannot believe Marriott Vacation Club Executives tolerate this type of aggressive and downright rude behavior.  What do the Insiders thing?

"This property has it all.  We brought three of the Grandkids with us 9, 11, 13, and they all loved the place.  Great activities for all, especially the kids of all ages.  Soccer field, basketball courts, miniature golf, two pools with slides including a very big slide, foozball tables, pool tables, pirate ships in pools, fishing available, etc.  A professional staff of activity associates.  Restaurant on site with a wide variety of entrees.  First class exercise facility with a view of the pool.  Rooms with balconies on a lake.  All in all a great seven day experience.  THE ONLY NEGATIVE AND IT'S A BIG ONE:  The marketing/sales staff will not leave you alone.  They made three pre-visit phone calls and were told that we would not be interested in attending a sales presentation as we are Premier Plus MVC members and have bought up to our maximum.  They then assaulted my wife as we were checking in and ultimately gave her a "free" picture opportunity which was a total lie and wound up costing us $70.  They then called us every single day for five straight days while we were here.  This is not just annoying, it is harassment.  Do we have to take out a restraining order on these folks?  Is Marriott Vacation Club Management telling them to employ these tactics?  Someone needs to muzzle these folks, as although we loved this property, we will probably not come back due to their tactics!"

At least they are contacting you.

I have a unique experience with rudeness on the part of the sales associates.  I always get invited to presentations.

My name is the ONLY name on the deed and my husband's is not on the deed.  They tell me that I can't come to the presentation to get the points but, I can come to the presentation that does not have points.  If I decide to purchase, I can get a better gift.

Why is it that I can come to the presentation without the gift and possibly purchase by myself and get a better gift if I purchase.  I can purchase on my own at this presentation but can't go alone and earn the points unless he is with me for the points presentation.  Amazing logic.

Again, my husband was with me when we first were introduced to this program.  He refused to get involved with this timeshare program.  i purchased it.  I am the only one on the deed and I make more than enough money to purchase on my own.  Yet, they will not let me come to a presentation to find out what is new with the program.  I never receive information etc., except when they want me to buy something.

My latest experience was at the Marriott Shadow Ridge in Rancho Mirage California.  Palm Springs area. 

The women at the desk told me I could not attend.  Then, after a discussion she told me that I could earn 10,000 points because my husband was not with me.  Then, I could not attend because he was not with me.  I asked her to look into it and she said she would get back to me by the next day and I would be on her priority list.  Ha!  Never heard a thing from her.  She just brushed me off.  By Friday I had heard nothing and I spoke to Scott who was in charge of the program.   He told me I could buy on my own but to go to the presentation I had to have my husband because it was a decision that both had to be informed about.  Well, how come I was permitted to buy the first time around?  BS Marriott.

How come there are no answers from Marriott regarding this problem.

By the way, a property as beautiful as Shadow Ridge should have a REAL concierge and not a desk full of people who do not really have a clue as to what is going on.  When I was in Branson they had real concierges.  Bring them back instead of a sales desk that pretends to be a concierge desk.

Will be waiting for Marriott to give me a call!  And an answer.

maddashin

Absolutely unbelievable!  For whatever reason on this board, the official Marriott folks appear not to want to get involved with Marriott Vacation Club issues.  As you have indicated in your post, MVC salespeople definitely treat women poorly.  My wife had similar experiences at the Myrtle Beach MVC where we first bought into the Vacation Club.  We purchased jointly, but when she tried to attend a sales presentation with our daughter, they refused to let her participate without my being there.  She and my daughter were totally embarrassed and humiliated by the sales associate gatekeeper.  This is total BS as you indicated and blatant discrimination against women.  We did complain to MVC Corporate in Orlando and they were very apologetic.  I also agree, bring back the real concierges, not the ones that are only interested only in referring you to the sales associates and know little or nothing about the property.  Thanks for the post.  We are enjoying the flexibility of the points MVC program, but the sales/marketing group needs to clean up their act.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I refuse to be a member of the points system.  When that first came out I reviewed it and the only people it benefited was Marriott.  The way they have the exchange set up or did was not even.  They would assign different point values to different properties and at times you could not exchange each year but, had to bank points.  Next thing, they will tell me I can't take a vacation because my husband is not with me. 

I was not embarrassed, but they did not even call me back (Lorrie)  Scott came up with a canned answer and I am sure hoping that it will end with him. 

My husband is NOT on the deed so why does he have to be there?

Thanks!  I am not going to let it die this time.  I am going to see what I can do to take it further.  Discrimination is what it is for sure.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

The sales staff is agressive because timeshares are far and away the most profitable venture for a hotel chain and the sales people get enormous commissions.

Talk to any financial advisor about time shares. They will all give the same opinion. And it's not a positive opinion.

sea.doc Gold 1 Reviews

I'm a CPA, and I've met many other financial professionals who are also Marriott Owners during our many vacations.  We typically extract 5-7 times of rental value over our maintenance fees every year... It has paid for itself, many times over...

sea.doc Gold 1 Reviews

I am also a Premier Plus owner and I too have completed my purchasing so certainly do not want to waste the time of the commission-only salespeople... Sounds like this was marketing, NOT sales division who harassed you.  I do get bombarded at check-in, but I typically just smile and say I'm quite happy with what I own and have no interest to add further, so please update your records to show that... I've noticed that I'm no longer bombarded anymore... I find a little humor goes a long way - it is timeshare, not brain surgery... All the best... SeaDoc

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...