34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2015 12:54 PM by aje5837 RSS

The Marriott Bargains Thread... Post your special offers here

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

During the course of a thread relating to Flashperks jm1991  remarked that as a result of liking a Marriottl on Facebook, or retwittering on Twitter or instgramming on Instagram, he ended up recieving out of the blue a special offer for a SanFransico Marriott that was a great rate on good terms. So he took it.

Now if you're like me, and an internet pioneer from the early days (I was one of the first legal practices with my own website on the interwebthingy in 1997), but have kinda got lost in the social media, retattling FaceCrook instant-grannies, then this thread is for you.

And if you like nothing better than retwottering your grannies on the FaceMuck then it's for you too!

What we ( erc  and I, and many non Twitter-ers) would like to do is ask all you internet socialites to post onto this thread any worthwhile offers from Marriott hotels that you get as a result of your social actions (which by my reckoning would be another social action, not to mention an act of charity to those of us born before the invention of Pong in 1971) so that us less interweb-social, but nonetheless loyal Marriott interwebbers can get in on the action too.

So, how about it you millenniums. Make us GenX (or in erc's case, GenRabbleRouser) interweb-social-bargain-getters too!

So, just to clarify... Please post here any Marriott Bargains and special offers you find

GenX thanks you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Marriott Bargains Thread... Post your special offers here
    erc Platinum

brightlybob   You're a good man Charlie Brown.  Let's get this party started.

Millennials and other cyberstars, help us tech challenged troglodytes get in the game.

Book your deal first (we don't want your thoughtfulness to cost you a great deal) and then pass the word along to us needy deal seekers right here in Brightly Bob's handy dandy post. It's all for a good cause of sharing deals and maxing out the 'system', along with the warm feeling you'll experience helping out the helpless (yeah, yeah IAHFLYR, I know, warm feelings, but we're not discussing our 'issues' right now).

For every deal you share, we'll tell you a colorful tale of the adventures of Andy and Barney, Wally and the Beav, Richie and the Fonz, or a Benny Hill sketch (w/a nod to our UK pals). For every two deals you share, we won't bother you with any stories. Thanks .

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Last year I simply liked the Marriott Stellaris Aruba on Facebook (because I do like it and enjoy seeing the pictures) and they offer their Facebook members a one day "cyber sale." This was a great bargain and worked perfectly into my scheduled dates for Aruba this November. Unlike other offers, this offer was available anytime as long as it was booked on that one day. I received a great rate of $179 for a partial ocean view and this included breakfast each day for 2 adults. You would never know about this offer unless you liked them on Facebook so although you may hate the new social media venues, I could not have obtained this offer without it. I plan on liking other vacation resorts which I intend to visit in the near future.

erc Platinum

Excellent taxman193. Let us know of any similar future resort deals you capture - thanks

This certainly seems to be the wave of the near future - deals offered to followers - fair enough (the NSA probably knows what I'm eating right now as I type - no big whoop). I've seen (and participated) in similar deals with OpenTable - each individual can decide if it's worth it, based on the offer.

If we can generate 50% of the interest of reporting deals as we do when we ask, "what is your Mega-Bonus?" (where folks who haven't responded before and never since, write in with pride and excitement their offer) then this could be a tremendous Insider weapon for Insiders.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

For two deals we can toss in John Boy and show them how to toss rocks like Earnest T. Bass.AndyRock_Photo_005

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't wanna join FB just get great deals. I'm not anti-tech, I just prefer to be able to choose when and where I get online.

I'll stick with whatever discounts/deals I can get (gov't, AAA, or other MR promotions).

Why not post special deals on this site instead of making us join a social media site making the Zuckerburgs of this world rich? Keep it in the family so to speak. Offer a promo code (like MRI) that gets some sort of deal, points offer, or discount. Change the code every few months to be sure that folks are checking in with MRI with some regularity.

There is already a loyal following using THIS social media site. Why not use it? Use Twitter and Facebook (or combine them to make TwitFace ) to bring people here where the real deals can be found.

Just a thought.

erc Platinum

Oh b.e., there you go again, being logical     .  That makes so much sense that it crosses the border into nonsense when "passed along" to The Greater Team and their 'let them eat cake' mindset.

No, they would much prefer to clog up Insiders with thousands of baseball stories and hotel reviews requiring registration, where Marriott gets the customer info, and the registrants disappear into the ethos. They don't want actual participation, that requires interaction and just stirs up the dust, since most any programs they attempt to implement comes with its own set of self induced problems (PlusPoints was headache free - ha).

However, we do still have the vestige of value in our Magificent Moderation Team and no less than the exalted, recently well traveled NathalieF herself has offered to share "deals" with us prior to them going public (and btw, feel free Nathalie to share Facebook offerings as well for any of us willing to sell our soul for savings ). So I say, bring it on CM and let's have a go at them and then with the momentum of that success, take the quixotic fight to Intergalactic and hope for miracles.

Whew, that came close to rabble rousing, so I'll stop now and go back to my peaceful, front desk upgrade mode    .

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Well, I don't know where to post these deals I've found, but if someone is around a Damon's Restaurant on their birthday, they give a free meal to anyone on their day, excluding the rack and a half of ribs that was newly on their menu in March.

Bob Evans Restaurants gives a free breakfast on the birthday.  Just sign up beforehand.

Abuelo's Restaurant has a rewards plan that accumulates totals for rewards now, unlike their old plan that really didn't offer much.  I don't know how much this offers, but I love Abuelo's Mexican food.  Their bread pudding is only offered during the holiday season starting in November sometime.  Delicious!!!  There is a recipe for it online.

Chef Luis

"People are falling in love with our new holiday dessert Capriotada. In this video, Chef Luis shows you how to make this deliciously decadent traditional Mexican bread pudding. Watch and try it yourself! Need the recipe? We'll post it here soon, so stay tuned."

(Copycat recipe)

Abuelo's Restaurant Copycat Recipes: Abeulo's Capirotada

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

great topic. I will post any promotions i see. I spend most of my work day browsing the web and social media so ill be sure to post any significant deals. I got lucky i was able to book the room its a 65% discount from the regular rate which is great! Now ill be able to party and drink and not worry about getting home or spending a ton on a room. Im just crossing my fingers for an upgrade now  haha

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I am on facebook!  I jumped in a couple of years ago when the cool me realized I was falling way behind. Now, for the record, I mainly use it to post pictures and see stuff from long ago friends...it's good for that. I'm not sure what other use it has, but in my limited capacity, it works well. Nothing to fear, Insiders.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I won't pretend to speak for others, but it's not fear keeping me away from facebook. I expect that someday I may decide to join. My objection is based on being coerced to use a site of which I am not currently a member and which IMHO has nothing to do with Marriott. I'm all for Marriott reaching out to the facebook crowd. What I don't like is being asked to use facebook to enter contests or search for special deals.

A year or so ago, there was a Marriott game for smartphones but it only available to Apple users. All well and good, but what about people who don't have or want an iPhone? They were left out.

And, let's not forget PointPlus (or whatever it was called). I get the impression that the Marriott IT-marketing team is throwing out all sorts of ideas to see what works. The sad thing is that when it comes to execution, most of them have crashed and burned.

I'm still waiting for my lifetime points to update. I'm looking at my total which hasn't changed since July 31 (oh sorry, that's another thread).

So I continue to research locations, compare prices, plan travels, and book rooms online (at least those all work fine), and then wonder why the rest of the Marriott internet presence seems so disjointed.

Oh, I just figured it out. Gaylord blocked the wifi of the entire Marriott IT department making it impossible to roll out all their fixes. NOW it makes sense.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

If anyone has amex deals, theres a new amex deal to add to your amex card offering a $50 statement credit on a single purchase of 200+ with your amex card at Marriott, all other brands excluded! if you want to maximize rewards, make 2 separate charges to your stay, the $201 to the amex (for the $50) and the remaining to your other preferred travel card  amex.png

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Great thread!  I'm curious to see if there will be more deals like the one facebook did with their Aruba Stellaris resort.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

if anyone hasnt tried yet, the amex offer of spend 200 get a 50 credit works when buying a marriott gift card from a FS Marriot's front desk. Which you could just buy from your closest marriott (call them first and ask if they sell them) and use them for any future travel at any of the other brands. Just got my credit

erc Platinum

Now granted, this isn't the New Year's Eve $10 rate for the Manassas Fairfield Inn (now only available for $100), but it's still pretty nice, if the stars align.

The Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel has AAA (cancellable) rates of $94 for Christmas Eve and/or Christmas.

erc Platinum

Washington DC  remains one of the few soft markets for Marriott and none more attractive to the lodger than during the holidays.

Be sure to check out all DC props, but specifically several Insiders' favorite, the Renaissance Arlington Capital View where you can stay from 12/19 until New Year's Eve for a cancellable AAA rate of $79 (non AAA requires pre-paid).

Some come on down and join vaboywnder and I for some eggnog

Yes, I'd imagine DC would be soft during any holiday period.

The problem for pure political capitals, such as DC, or Ottawa, when the politicians aren't at work, their hotel-staying entourage, hangers on, transistory lobbyists, question-answering civil servants et-al have no reason to be there, and these cities hotels, without any second string to their bows, unlike say London or Tokyo, become deserted so hoteliers cut their throats to attract the small amount of remaining custom...

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

erc,

It's funny you should mention the AAA $79 rate in DC.  I had booked that rate at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church the weekend before Thanksgiving.  eclektech and I had made plans to celebrate his birthday that weekend in Northern VA.  I made a request for a "suite" upgrade through the Virtual Concierge about a week before arrival.  Later I got a call from a hotel rep who said she could give us a Hospitality Suite which included a Murphy bed or if we wanted to pay an additional $200 we could get the Presidential Suite which normally runs $900 a night.  I thanked the rep for calling but declined both options as we didn't want a room with a Murphy Bed or have to pay an additional fee.  She said she would see what she could do to get us a larger room.

A couple of days before we were suppose to leave I noticed we had been upgraded to the Presidential Suite at the AAA $79 a night rate.  We got really excited about it and was looking forward to the weekend get away.  Unfortunately the day before we were suppose to leave my 86 year old Uncle had a fall and broke his hip then had to have surgery over that weekend.  So we ended up having the cancel our $79 Presidential Suite so I could be with my uncle through his difficult time.  Hopefully we will get to see that deal again someday.

erc Platinum

As nuhusker will tell you, those guys are great at Fairview. I've stayed (a generously provided upgrade) in that Murphy Bed hospitality room, it's like the Island of Misfit furniture . They had around six different generations of tables and chairs, plenty of space - so if you get it, throw a party.

The Presidential suite - now you're talkin'. Wow. I'm putting up some folks there next year for my Mom's birthday (another great weekend rate $78 - a movie at Mosaic, lunch at Matchbox, dessert at Ted's Bulletin, dinner at 2941 and then hopefully, if they are like New Orleans and provide Saturday breakfast for each room, a nice buffet for our departure - what the heck, if not, Mom's worth it, I might just spring for breakfast!). As much as she adored you, stop by and make a surprise visit (and use your pull to get me a Presidential ).

Hope it works out well for your Uncle, that's exactly why we should always 'live in the moment', you just never know.

Stay at it and get out and watch that terrific basketball team of yours.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

"Island of Misfit furniture"....LOL...that's an awesome description.  I think I'll continue to stay away from that suite then.  The Fairview Park staff is great and they really treat their platinum guests well.  They definitely have a nice breakfast buffet on the weekends when the CL is closed.

Sounds like you have a nice celebration planned for your Mom.  That's awesome.  I need to try that Matchbox place out sometime.

I'm very happy that our Basketball team is doing well.  It will be interesting to see how far we go this year.  Hopefully some day our Football team will get its act together.

I thought I'd found a good bargain.

Marriott Deals lists the following:

Courtyard Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Schedule time for relaxation this Fall at the Courtyard Carolina Beach Oceanfront.

From November 8, 2014 - January 31, 2015, stay any night Sunday-Thursday and receive:

- 2,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per night

- a $30 dining credit per day at the Bistro

Get these great benefits in an oceanfront room with balcony, complimentary HISA and parking.

(It seems that the rate is $119 per night on the nights that it is available, going only as high as 5 nights which lets one check in on Mondays.)  I guess it would be higher than the $119 on other nights.  That would probably be the $179 rate. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But with AAA / CAA, the best rates are available.  I checked Sr. citizen, and they aren't as good.

•   December 2014 

Hotel Deals — Explore the West with Winter Rates Starting at $79

Fort Worth

The Worthington Renaissance Fort Worth Hotel  

I thought this was really great, but after looking for it, and even covering most Sat., Sun. and Mon. dates and even trying Christmas and Christmas Eve for 2 people, and even 1 person, I don't believe this rate can be found there.  It makes me wonder about all the other rates given for the other cities.  Searching with flexible dates doesn't even allow a search for the special.  Maybe the "room" available at this rate has already been reserved.   

erc Platinum

Here's a good looking deal from TravelZoo for the Marriott Gateway Niagara Falls - now until 3/30/15

$85 -- Niagara 4-Star Marriott w/Dinner Credit and Tastings | Travelzoo

Granted it's third party, so no points (you do still receive your elite benefits - CL etc) and you are upgraded to a Falls view room Sun-Thurs ($24 on Fri-Sat). These rooms are priced around $149 on Marriott.com (which is unusual that TravelZoo beats Marriott with their own inventory). Also included are some breakfast, dinner, and bar vouchers and other knickknacks.

Now, the only possible catch (so don't yell at me, if it occurs). Will there be availability by Marriott?

TravelZoo is excellent about allowing you to buy the voucher, find out if there is availability for your dates and then refunding (I believe you have a week - I've done it twice, no sweat) if you couldn't cut a deal.

So, if you were thinking of Niagara Falls first quarter 2015 (I bet there's some tasty ice wines then ), give this a look.

$85 for a Marriott Fallsview room at Niagara... Now there's a tasty bargain!

erc Platinum

It is a good deal, it even throws in some worthwhile extras, like dinner and shopping credits, unlike a lot of "our" offers which may toss in a bottle of water. Speaking of offers, it's a bit disappointing to look at the current crop of Platinum Exclusive Offers, numbering two - one, which expires in two weeks, 15% off Paris (but 15% off of what rate?) and the second offer, Ice Skating in Montreal (no deal, just ice skating ).

It's kind of sad when my Hyatt loving pals can get a better deal with Marriott through TravelZoo than I can with our Exclusive Platinum Offers - oh well, whaddaya gonna do?

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

That does look like a good deal!  Do you still get 10x points since you book through the Marriott after you get the travel voucher?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...